Question about my Gen 5 Glock 19

I just purchased my first Glock. It's a 19 gen 5. I would like to buy a couple of prebans for it, but have no idea what will work in gen 5 model 19. I see square notches and u notches being offered, but don't know if either with will work with a gen 5 19. Any help appreciated. Thanks for your time and attention, Gltsull

I just purchased my first Glock. It's a 19 gen 5. I would like to buy a couple of prebans for it, but have no idea what will work in gen 5 model 19. I see square notches and u notches being offered, but don't know if either with will work with a gen 5 19. Any help appreciated. Thanks for your time and attention, Gltsull
Everything works. Just mind the springs in those old magazines.

prebans just aren't worth it anymore at the prices people are asking for. you can buy magpul 10rnders for like 12 bucks a pop. and prebans are old enough that I wouldn't trust it for carrying or for the nightstand gun. so just not worth it.

prebans just aren't worth it anymore at the prices people are asking for. you can buy magpul 10rnders for like 12 bucks a pop. and prebans are old enough that I wouldn't trust it for carrying or for the nightstand gun. so just not worth it.
New spring and/or follower? Unless you think the magazine is fundamentally warped. The only real issue I've seen in 20 years of carrying is the (ugh, drawing a blank) the exit point of the magazine breaking or bending.

I know someone is going to post "It's called yada yada". We had a couple M4 mags that we tore apart because the widgets were bent and rounds kept popping out. The armory kept putting them back in the mix after we said they were busted.

New spring and/or follower? Unless you think the magazine is fundamentally warped. The only real issue I've seen in 20 years of carrying is the (ugh, drawing a blank) the exit point of the magazine breaking or bending.

I know someone is going to post "It's called yada yada". We had a couple M4 mags that we tore apart because the widgets were bent and rounds kept popping out. The armory kept putting them back in the mix after we said they were busted.
Do you mean the feed lips?

Wow, NES collective must have woken up on the right side of the bed today. No one being toxic... yet.

All G19 mags work in every G19 generation. There are actually generations (different iterations) of G19 mags to complicate matters even further. This isn't my pic but reference below. They're G17 mags but G19 mags would look similar. Left to right are oldest to newest iterations of magazines. I think the newest iteration has an orange follower which may not be depicted.

The only thing you need to know is that U-notch are not drop free (aka NFML - not full metal lined). When fully loaded U-notch mags tend to bulge and need to be pulled out of the mag well. Square notch doesn't bulge as much so they drop free (FML - full metal lined). There are more nuances to all this but I'll save you the essay and suggest that you just buy what you can afford.

ae4c019c1dd1c9f458b2ad4a8ce1d1db.jpg

Wow, NES collective must have woken up on the right side of the bed today. No one being toxic... yet.

All G19 mags work in every G19 generation. There are actually generations (different iterations) of G19 mags to complicate matters even further. This isn't my pic but reference below. They're G17 mags but G19 mags would look similar. Left to right are oldest to newest iterations of magazines. I think the newest iteration has an orange follower which may not be depicted.

The only thing you need to know is that U-notch are not drop free (aka NFML - not full metal lined). When fully loaded U-notch mags tend to bulge and need to be pulled out of the mag well. Square notch doesn't bulge as much so they drop free (FML - full metal lined). There are more nuances to all this but I'll save you the essay and suggest that you just buy what you can afford.

What about the ones that go to 32?

I carry a U notch in my 19 gen5. I’ve never had a single malfunction and it runs no different than a new mag. Like others said it won’t drop free when fully loaded, but personally I don’t see a problem in that. It drops free once it’s empty. I guess it’s all up to what works for you.

Keep in mind I got mine I got mine for like 40 bucks before all this crazy crap. For 100+ I’d probably be more inclined to say forget it and buy 10 rounders.

I have brand new Fully Metal Lined Drop Free G19 mags:

Brand New...

See pics...

I run the shit out of my antique Glock mags and haven't had any issues, but I only use square notch.
Whether or not one thinks it is not worth the price is one thing, but unless they are damaged or beat to hell there is nothing intrinsically about their age to be concerned with. With new 9mm3 followers and springs you should be good to go.

I would rather have one G17 mag with a +4 rather than juggling a couple of inexpensive 10 rounders and trying to do tac reloads in the dark wearing my tightie-whities.

Not to get off topic here, but when did Gen 5 Glocks become legal in Mass?

*groan*

Lol, they were never illegal in mass.

If you're talking about the AGs BS, nothing has changed. No, you can;'t walk into deli ticket emporium and buy one. That said, most people just drive around it (about a dozen different ways) and get whatever they want.

True about the unotches not being drop free, but honestly not as much of a real issue as it sounds in my opinion. Also the taran tact and i would assume other brand wider baseplates don't fit the preban mags in the gen5 without some grinding. (not sure about other generations) a nice option, For non conceal is a unotch g17 mag in the g19. Easier to grab for mag change i guess if youre feeling john wickish.
I added an xgrip extension on a g17 mag and had to do some grinding to fit it but it makes a nice full length grip option. Its like having a g19x without the stupidity of buying a g19x.......
20210316_130215.jpg

20210316_130204.jpg

My wife also owns a Glock 19, but it is Gen4. My Glock 26 is also Gen4. As for magazines, who really knows? We bought them NIB out of state and each came with 3 magazines. We purchased 4 more for each gun at an out of state gun show. The only markings that I saw were "Glock" and "9mm" on each of them. I wouldn't overthink it. Definitely stay away from any mag marked "military only" or "LE use only". Those are trouble waiting to happen.

My wife also owns a Glock 19, but it is Gen4. My Glock 26 is also Gen4. As for magazines, who really knows? We bought them NIB out of state and each came with 3 magazines. We purchased 4 more for each gun at an out of state gun show. The only markings that I saw were "Glock" and "9mm" on each of them. I wouldn't overthink it. Definitely stay away from any mag marked "military only" or "LE use only". Those are trouble waiting to happen.
If they have notches on both sides, they're definitely post ban as well

picture in post #10 - see how the mags 7 and 8 have '9 MM' written higher than on the mag on picture 4? That is how you see a pre-ban one from post-ban.
i have only one pre-ban now - in a nightstand next to the bed, and do not have any urges to buy more, unless some miracle would happen and i saw one under $100 somewhere, but, thanks to numerous scalpers, it is highly unlikely to happen. i asked my friends on midwest to look up some for me when they hit gun shows, but, no one saw anything in a looong while, thx to gunbroker etc.

Last edited:
picture in post #10 - see how the mags 7 and 8 have '9 MM' written higher than on the mag on picture 4? That is how you see a pre-ban one from post-ban.
i have only one pre-ban now - in a nightstand next to the bed, and do not have any urges to buy more, unless some miracle would happen and i saw one under $100 somewhere, but, thanks to numerous scalpers, it is highly unlikely to happen. i asked my friends on midwest to look up some for me when they hit gun shows, but, no one saw anything in a looong while, thx to gunbroker etc.
Technically, there are examples that put the lie to that. Generally speaking, you're correct, but it seems that Glock tooled up for that change before 9/13/94, and produced some unknowable number of mags with high caliber marks, without LEO/MIL marking, before the ban.

It almost makes you want to think they did it on purpose to troll .gov, but it's probably just because it was expedient.

I'm in the minority on this thought, but I contend that the oldest version of the U-notch (second in from the left) is too short to work reliably across Glocks past Gen 1. You can see from this pic that it is a couple MM shorter than the one to it's right, which is also a couple MM shorter than square notches.

What you get is a mag that has to be absolutely smashed home in order to catch, which it barely does and ends up mangling the mag catch cutout. It may also not play ball with other "it takes Glock mags" guns. The problem is that 99% of the time, you can't tell the difference from an add selling them.

That said, square notch prices are insane. I bought some a couple years ago when they were closer to 2/3 what people ask today, but I'm probably done. I'd rather carry a spare mag than pay those prices.

Remember if LE is examining your magazines to determine if they are pre or post ban then you have much bigger problems. No one is going to check your inventory unless you get red flagged or ROed for 209A.
Stay clean at all times
it is generally true, but in the case of the legit self defence inside of my residence the last thing i would want to deal with is a rabid lib in a leo skin who would try to pin me on a possession of an illegal hi-cap mag issue. what for? to underestimate your enemy is a very stupid thing. especially on a such a minor nuisance, that can grow into a huge pita.

That said, square notch prices are insane. I bought some a couple years ago when they were closer to 2/3 what people ask today, but I'm probably done. I'd rather carry a spare mag than pay those prices.
oldest u notch worked fine for me, when i had gen3, but, i had one that cracked while left fully loaded. it happens, therefore - why to bother? the purpose to have multiple mags is to have them all loaded and ready to fire, not to use them as a conversation pieces or objects of art. :)

miracles sometimes do happen, if you are lucky and quick. but, it is rare.

oldest u notch worked fine for me, when i had gen3, but, i had one that cracked while left fully loaded. it happens, therefore - why to bother? the purpose to have multiple mags is to have them all loaded and ready to fire, not to use them as a conversation pieces or objects of art. :)

miracles sometimes do happen, if you are lucky and quick. but, it is rare.

One of my Unotches split by the witness holes as well. Did a bondo/clamp job on it, but it's now range only. Doesn't matter though because the only gun it will comfortably seat in is my AR9 due to plenty of magwell clearance. Would not seat fully in pistols and wouldn't catch at all in my now sold Sub2000 G19 grip.

Not a glock fanboi but I remember there were mags prone to cracking from a thread back in 2009 maybe.

Technically, there are examples that put the lie to that. Generally speaking, you're correct, but it seems that Glock tooled up for that change before 9/13/94, and produced some unknowable number of mags with high caliber marks, without LEO/MIL marking, before the ban.

It almost makes you want to think they did it on purpose to troll .gov, but it's probably just because it was ex
These are what we use. Ammo is Remington 115 grain JHP. We want to minimize the danger of overpenetratio. We live in a townhome with neighbors very close.

Attachments

• 20210519_084234.jpg
    20210519_084234.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210519_084211.jpg
    20210519_084211.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 29
I'm in the minority on this thought, but I contend that the oldest version of the U-notch (second in from the left) is too short to work reliably across Glocks past Gen 1. You can see from this pic that it is a couple MM shorter than the one to it's right, which is also a couple MM shorter than square notches.
Correct, older U-notches are slightly shorter than the newer interations. This is particularly frustrating because you have to find or use older gen floor plates otherwise they won't even seat into the pistol.

Back
Top Bottom