• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question about my Gen 5 Glock 19

Correct, older U-notches are slightly shorter than the newer interations. This is particularly frustrating because you have to find or use older gen floor plates otherwise they won't even seat into the pistol.

And that's even tougher than finding the Unotch. I split a floor plate and it's been a bitch to find the right replacement. And extensions don't play nicely with the way Unotches flex.

I feel like we were all talking about a solution to this in off-topic not too long ago...
Someone (was it you?) mentioned Taylor Freelance because they use a retention plate in the rear. This means it holds the mag base plate lips on all 4 sides of the mag tube. I bought a couple. They work better than most, but I also found out that the oldest Unotch base dimensions to be shorter front to back, meaning even in a tightened Taylor Freelance, there is a little wiggle room.

I've more or less just given up on the notion. Use 10rd mags now.

Oh. I was thinking about modeling and printing replacements. HP MJF in Nylon will be close enough to original for a couple bucks each.

But I also run 10 rounders, That juice (Glock prebans) isn't worth the squeeze to me.

Wow, NES collective must have woken up on the right side of the bed today. No one being toxic... yet.

All G19 mags work in every G19 generation. There are actually generations (different iterations) of G19 mags to complicate matters even further. This isn't my pic but reference below. They're G17 mags but G19 mags would look similar. Left to right are oldest to newest iterations of magazines. I think the newest iteration has an orange follower which may not be depicted.

The only thing you need to know is that U-notch are not drop free (aka NFML - not full metal lined). When fully loaded U-notch mags tend to bulge and need to be pulled out of the mag well. Square notch doesn't bulge as much so they drop free (FML - full metal lined). There are more nuances to all this but I'll save you the essay and suggest that you just buy what you can afford.

ae4c019c1dd1c9f458b2ad4a8ce1d1db.jpg
I'm partial to #3's. 4's and 5's command a massive premium. 1 and 2 stick in teh Magwell. A few years ago, NO ONE wanted U-notch mags so I sorta stocked up.

it is generally true, but in the case of the legit self defence inside of my residence the last thing i would want to deal with is a rabid lib in a leo skin who would try to pin me on a possession of an illegal hi-cap mag issue. what for? to underestimate your enemy is a very stupid thing. especially on a such a minor nuisance, that can grow into a huge pita.
Wife and I have sporting-restricted LTCs. The two Glocks that we own are for home defense purposes only. She wanted a Glock and bought one. I did the same, but would much rather rely on one of our Remington 870s for home defense purposes. I never owned a handgun until now, never carried one and really don't have any interest in them. That Glock 26 Gen4 is the only one I will ever own. If we end up in a gunfight with home invaders, it will be a fight to the death, us or them, and failure is not an option. Survival is job #1. We will end up unemployed and bankrupt, regardless. I will let my attorney worry about some bullshit post-ban mag charge, assuming such a charge is even filed.

I'm in the minority on this thought, but I contend that the oldest version of the U-notch (second in from the left) is too short to work reliably across Glocks past Gen 1. You can see from this pic that it is a couple MM shorter than the one to it's right, which is also a couple MM shorter than square notches.

What you get is a mag that has to be absolutely smashed home in order to catch, which it barely does and ends up mangling the mag catch cutout. It may also not play ball with other "it takes Glock mags" guns. The problem is that 99% of the time, you can't tell the difference from an add selling them.

That said, square notch prices are insane. I bought some a couple years ago when they were closer to 2/3 what people ask today, but I'm probably done. I'd rather carry a spare mag than pay those prices.
The Keltecs don't take G19 U notch. They are a smidge too short. Get Fully Metal Lined instead.
Correct, older U-notches are slightly shorter than the newer interations. This is particularly frustrating because you have to find or use older gen floor plates otherwise they won't even seat into the pistol.
If you have the correct floor plate, they should work fine. It is part #455. If you put a fully metal lined type floor plate in a U notch, it wont seat.

Back
Top Bottom