• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question about LTC for a new resident of Newton

Hello. My 25 year old daughter is moving from Nashville to Newton this summer for school. She owns a Ruger GP100. I have read that she must apply within 60 days for a LTC permit. Before that, she has to take a 4 hour safety class.

Question - Is Newton considered part of Boston? Does she have to pass a safety / shooting exam at Moon Island?

P.S. I thought CA was the Soviet Union until I read about MA gun laws. They are so unconstitutional I want to vomit.

Newton is not Boston. I'd bet that she's going to get a restricted Class A.

Newton is not part of Boston. I checked the Newton police website and there is no mention of a firearms test of any kind. But when you apply you do have to have proof of citizenship and residents. Along with all the other BS like letters of references and your Massachusetts approved safety course. From what I've heard from a friend Newton is not one of the better places to apply for a LTC in this state. Good luck to your daughter, I have a feeling she is going to need it.

Basically, it is going to cost her about $200 bucks and she won't be able to carry it. If she is living off campus and wants to keep it loaded, she will need a small safe. If she is living on campus, leave the wheel gun home.

P.S. I thought CA was the Soviet Union until I read about MA gun laws. They are so unconstitutional I want to vomit.
About 92% of the MA residents who legally possess handguns may carry concealed anywhere except schools and the surface of the Atlantic within 500 ft of Logan airport. (Plus some administratively banned places like courthouses and places federally banned).

Stand-alone prosecutions for post ban mags possessed by an LTC holder are pretty much unheard of.

Neither of the above is true for CA.
ut when you apply you do have to have proof of citizenship and residents.
Citizenship or legal permanent resident (green card) status. And its "residence".

Last edited:
If she applies for an LTC in Newton, she will be likely be given restrictions to target shooting and hunting only, i.e., not allowed to carry it. However she should request a license "for all lawful purposes", if they ask her the reason she wants it. Because if she says she wants it for target shooting, they will happily restrict it to target shooting.

In my experience, Newton gives a restricted license the first time someone applies. After renewal (six years later !) they generally seem to give unrestricted license if that is requested.

Thanks for the replies. Just to be clear, she doesn’t have to take the shooting test at Moon Island?

Rob - That is great most of you can carry. CA has some counties that allow CCW very easily. Others are impossible. I live in Orange County and have a CCW. It sounds like MA is actually better than CA for CCW. We can still have so called high cap mags. The law they passed to ban them has been put on hold. They haven’t banned our AR style rifles yet. I guess comparing CA to MA is like comparing Stalin to Hitler. Both are bad.

Basically, it is going to cost her about $200 bucks and she won't be able to carry it. If she is living off campus and wants to keep it loaded, she will need a small safe. If she is living on campus, leave the wheel gun home.

What if she wants to keep it unloaded? Then she doesn’t need a safe? :emoji_anguished:

About 92% of the MA residents who legally possess handguns may carry concealed anywhere except schools and the surface of the Atlantic within 500 ft of Logan airport. (Plus some administratively banned places like courthouses and places federally banned).

Stand-alone prosecutions for post ban mags possessed by an LTC holder are pretty much unheard of.

Citizenship or legal permanent resident (green card) status. And its "residents".

And it's, "It's" [laugh] [wink]

Thanks for the replies. Just to be clear, she doesn’t have to take the shooting test at Moon Island?

moon island test only for boston, and i think i remember seeing required in brookline too. not newton or any other city or town in mass.

The question that comes to my mind is, if she is only here for he summer, will a non resident license do the trick?

wait times as mentioned in the non-res thread, if she's only here for the summer she'll be back home before it's issued

Newton wont issue an unrestricted first time out. However, after 1 year she can send a letter to the Chief and they will reissue an unrestricted.

Given that she is there for school, she may be better off maintaining out of state residency and going through the state, rather than local PD.

Moon Island test Boston,Brookline only,but the Brookline test may be given by an MSP CERT. instructor.

Thanks. She will live in Newton to go to Boston College for 2 years on off campus housing. The gun will be in a lock box safe (similar to a Gun Vault microvault safe) in her apartment. She will keep it loaded. The safe is very quick to access, even in the dark. I don't see her wanting to carry. And, she can't carry at school anyways.

Should she get a MA drivers license and establish residency? Or, do you think it would be better to be a non-resident for purposes of bringing her gun to MA?

If she wants to keep it unloaded (or loaded, it's not specified either way), a trigger lock satisfies MGLs, for storage.

Section 131L
This is what happened to me. They restricted it for one year. Then after one year I had to write them a letter asking for the restrictions to be lifted. After 30 days of receiving the letter they called and stated that the restrictions were lifted. They made up a new license and I went down and picked it up. No issues since.

Newton wont issue an unrestricted first time out. However, after 1 year she can send a letter to the Chief and they will reissue an unrestricted.

Given that she is there for school, she may be better off maintaining out of state residency and going through the state, rather than local PD.
Has this recently happened for anyone? I had a buddy try this within the last couple years and it didn't work for him.

We can still have so called high cap mags. The law they passed to ban them has been put on hold.
I believe you still must have possed them personally in CA before the ban, and that the law put on hold in CA was the "surrender or get them out of the state, no grandfathering".

One other thing. When she comes here, she should bring her revolver and any other guns that don't run afoul of the AWB here.

She should NOT wait until she gets her license. This is important because if she brings them with her when she moves, she does not need to tell the state that she possesses them.

If she waits until after she moves, she has to register them on an eFA10.

The law has a grace period for getting an LTC when you move here.
The time to get the LTC will exceed the grace period. But don't worry. As long as she applies in a expeditions manner, she is squeaky clean.

Look at it this way. If the law says the PD has 40 days to get her a LTC, and the grace period is 90 days. And they don't get it to her in time. Its not her fault. She is squeaky clean. And she then has lawfully possessed "ghost guns". Ha.

Rob Boudrie said:

Citizenship or legal permanent resident (green card) status. And its "residents".

And it's, "It's" [laugh] [wink]

No it isn't. Possessive does not get an apostrophe.

Back
Top Bottom