1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Question about loading a pick-up truck's bed

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by sbi, Jun 16, 2019.

1. sbi

sbi NES Member

OK, forgive me if this is a stupid question, I never owned - nor loaded - a pick-up truck.

I need to move my daughter and I rented a pickup-truck (most likely and hopefully it will be a F-250 supercab with 8' extended bed. There will be no furniture other than 4 chairs and a queen mattress, that I'll put flat on top of everything, it is all boxes, etc.
    How high, if at all, can I go above the bed sides? I am planning on wrapping everything with a huge tarp and then secure the load with straps.

And if you ask why pick-up and not a moving van - it is a long drive and moving vans are not as comfortable. Also, the F series with supercab has tons of additional space in the back when you lift the seats.

Thanks.

Mike Stanton likes this.

2. StevieP

StevieP NES Member

I'd feel comfortable going just under as high as the cab. YMMV. I just wouldn't want the load catching all the wind.

Make sure you cover and strap it as securely as humanly possible. Check your straps at every break.

Mountain, Kevin_NH and sbi like this.
  3. LoginName

LoginName NES Member

Boxes, 4 chairs and a mattress?

Amateur... go big or go home.

OL-Higgins.jpg

4D89C50C00000578-0-image-a-12_1529708571442.jpg

4. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

get a plastic sealing bag for the mattress....so that if it rains, the mattress will not get soaked. a tarp is really not all that waterproof, especially if it is rubbing on some sharp edge of furniture

https://www.amazon.com/Twin-Mattres...s+sealing+bag&qid=1560731985&s=gateway&sr=8-2

hold it down with ratchet straps, with a rope backup in case the ratchets let loose. I have personally had ratchet straps fail three different times.

sbi likes this.
  5. ront02769

ront02769 NES Member

Most likely thing to catch the wind and go south is the mattress....
    So put it on the bottom. Other than that, I’m good with level with top of cab as noted before.

SSShooter, toekneepea and StevieP like this.
  6. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

Surrender your man card for asking how much you can load in a RENTAL.
    Put the mattress in a bag (uhaul sells them) and ratchet down everything else. Putting it at the height of the cab will be fine, but you can certainly go higher. What won't stand up to higher is a tarp at highway speed

xjma99 likes this.
  7. Caveman

Caveman NES Member

You're good with boxes, a few chairs and a mattress. bag the mattress. I personally like to take a cargo net and toss it over everything when I'm transporting as added insurance. 3-4" grid keeps anything that might shake or blow loose from getting away. Usually weave the netting down with the lashings.

kelton and sbi like this.
  8. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

You have a truck.... now rent a trailer to go with it. Problem solved

slipknot, M1911, arlow and 3 others like this.
  9. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

my sofa and love seat cushions are in some wheat field in kansas. should have listened to the boys in the bar about not going higher than the cab for wind dynamics and bought a few more tie down straps. was in st. louis when i discovered they were awol.

Mountain, GaryO and xjma99 like this.
  10. BrianWilson

BrianWilson NES Member

I dunno. I've been driving 4whl drive pick ups with the biggest available engine around for at least 40 years, and I can't remember the last time I actually put anything in the back.

Nhusa, GaryO, toekneepea and 4 others like this.
  11. Picton

Picton NES Member

A tarp is fairly useless, especially for long drives. They’re hard to secure at enough points to keep the wind out. It’ll flap mercilessly until it tears at the grommets, then it’ll flap some more and tear some more. Weather permitting, there’s no real need for one. If you do insist, I’d use a big sheet of canvas instead of the plastic tarps.

DO strap and/or tie everything down. If you do it tightly enough, the load shouldn’t shift much. The first ten minutes you’ll be constantly looking in your rear view mirror; after that, if you’ve done it right, you shouldn’t give your load another thought.

SSShooter, sbi and xjma99 like this.
  12. 42!

42! NES Life Member NES Member

Assuming it's a mattress not a box spring, my person favorite is to put it on edge on one side. Stack everything up and let the ratchet straps pull the mattress curved over the top.

And be careful to tie everything down. The wind does strange things. I had a 4' steel cabinet strapped to a pallet just lifted clear of the bed and smashed on the highway. Not a scratch on the truck.

fshalor and xjma99 like this.
  13. xjma99

xjma99 NES Member

No tarp.

If all is well after the first 15 minutes, pull over and check strap tension/retention them. Check every now and then. Long drives allow the best of straps time to work loose.

14. Brucewillis4316

Brucewillis4316 NES Member

Truckers hitch.
    upload_2019-6-16_22-3-57.png

whalerman69, radioman and citoriguy like this.
  15. sbi

sbi NES Member

OK so if no tarp, what do I use to cover the load if it rains?

16. sbi

sbi NES Member

Already have a mattress bag ready.

17. fencer

fencer NES Member

I have been loading trucks, mostly pickup sized, everyday, all of my adult life. You can go much higher than the cab of the truck, as long as you can strap or tie it down adequately. Rachet straps are handy, but I can tie a load down with a rope tight enough to break stuff. You simply make a loop and pull the rope back through the loop.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8dUP_xGa3g

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    DitchDigger likes this.
  18. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

Shit moves around when you go down the highway and is subject to the forces of gravity.

That's the first thing you need to understand.

Don't be like the guy I saw coming out of Lowes a few years back. He and his buddy had just gone to Lowes to buy that expensive all-stainless gas grille he had his eye on for years and just convinced the wife to let him buy. So he went and paid his money - and then loaded it up into the back of his pickup truck. He drove across the parking lot - waited at the light , and when the light turned he accelerated and turned right. As he made the corner the centrifigal forces went to work on the gas grille he didn't bother to tie down - it went to the right side of the bed .... and because it was top heavy and taller than the pickup bed sides - that sucker went right over the top of bed side and smashed all to shit on the street in full view of everybody sitting there. It also phucked up the side of his pickup pretty damn good too.

If possible put the heavy stuff on the bottom - and make sure it's all tied down well. Wrapping a tarp around the whole thing and holding that down is a good idea to keep it all contained IMHO.

StevieP, Mike Stanton and sbi like this.
  19. 1776

1776 NES Member

Bungee cords work best! Especially on mattresses!

StevieP and oppressed like this.
  20. PatMcD

PatMcD NES Member

If you can't tie a know, tie a lot.

21. oppressed

oppressed NES Member

I prefer a thin twine.

22. fshalor

fshalor NES Member

Tarps shred and fail.

4 points of contact on anything.

I like mattress on side too. Since you have a real bed (8ft) there will be plenty of room. Chairs are your weight distributing pieces. Strap through those and use them to push on other stuff. Put blankets between wood.

I always carry a bunch of good ratchet straps and out them away neatly when used, plus some small shots of Spectra line saved for safety lines on anything heavy.

One trick in the tool box if you don't have a cargo net, Paracord. I have rigged simple cargo nets using para. Make a circle around the bed about 6" in from the edges. Put loops on every corner. Then run cross hatches diagonally one way. Cross hatch back the other way and wrap around where they meat in a hitch. Toss over the top and secure the corners using Paracord on one side and ratchet straps on the other.

I had a few areas where I couldn't get something right and went back with Paracord inner thread and made little square knot ties to take tensions up. It worked well to get a bunch of small light plastic boxes and some heavy oddly shapped things didn't expect to have to move from North Carolina to Florida.

I had a painters canvas which I threw over the load when stopped for lunch.

23. headednorth

headednorth NES Member

I have a cheapo bungee cord cargo net with hooks on the ends. I usually put a tarp over whatever, cargo net over that. Best money I've ever spent.

Picton likes this.
  24. M1911

M1911 Moderator NES Member

A tarp is not going to keep your load dry. Just rent a covered trailer and be done with it.

Mike Stanton likes this.
  25. fshalor

fshalor NES Member

I completely misread the OP. Why did an f250 get rented instead of a small box truck?

Confused. :)

I had to clear trash out of ex's sister's house once. After ten loads to the dump with a pickup with a cap, I ponied up and went 15' box truck. I probably grossed out a few times, but man was it worth it. Stow and go. Single strap on heavy stuff. Chowder to stabilize. Rope across every 4 feet or so. Straps across at the end. Done.

Seriously consider box truck if you haven't already.

Mike Stanton likes this.
  26. 1776

1776 NES Member

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  27. GM-GUY

GM-GUY NES Member

Ratcheting Tie Straps - not bungee cords
    When I need to tarp something, I use a 'Spidey Net', it's a web of bungees with about 8 tie points.

28. PaulR

PaulR NES Member

You'd be surprised at what stays in a truck, and what flies out of a truck at highway speeds.

I remember some time in my early 30's mastering the ratchet strap. It was always a foreign object to me, that I handed to someone else to utilize.
    Rachet straps bring a whole new level of tightness, like crush anything in its grip tightness.

I always have at least 4 ratchet straps and 8 bungees in my truck at all times...but I guess on this board that would probably be just a starter kit.

29. sbi

sbi NES Member

Because box truck is not as comfortable for a long drive and in addition, if other family members want to join they can in a pick up, they can't in a box truck.
    Not to mention box truck is significantly more expensive.

30. LoginName

LoginName NES Member

Bonesinium likes this.