Question about legality of a handgun brought in out of state.

Hi gang, my first post here so take it easy on me. Here is my question, how do you make it legal or even better sell a handgun which was purchased in TX and brought to CT. I know that CT allows gun owners 60 days to sell their guns to a gun shop, so my question is has anyone been in situation like this? if so, how does that work exactly? does it have to be exactly with in 60 days and how would anyone know?

Last edited:
So you’re saying you have a gun nobody knows about and want to turn it in...am I understanding correctly? A. Gun. Nobody. Knows. About. Hmm, tough call..
No. What I am saying is I have a CHL in TX and my handgun was legally purchased at Academy store in TX, I am moving to CT, as soon as I move I plan to obtain a CC license, my question was whether I could bring my gun to CT and keep it or sell it ( I know that I could sell it in TX, that is not my question). I was reading the CT gun law and it does seem possible to sell it in CT, just wanted to know all the details, how would someone sell a handgun in CT and I was wondering if there was a way too keep it since I will be getting my permit asap. The problem is it could take up to 6 months for me to obtain CC license in CT.

P. S. I really hate when people just assume...so please restrain yourself from smart azz comments plz. I am here to seek info, spare me the drama.

Last edited:
no idea. can you answer my question or not?
Why do people come on here with an attitude like this? @Quite_Exasperated was in the process of answering. You shut him down because he didn't directly answer with no questions? Just be nice. You consulted the oracle. Call a lawyer if you want an answer. Lame

I mean I'd just keep the gun and shut up about it. Get the CT license and move on with life.

Not sure about CT but in MA you have 60 days. And obviously the clowns at the pd will take a lot longer than 60 days to process your license. I'd imagine the risk of having a problem would be next to nothing if you kept the guns locked up in the house while waiting for the license to come in.

Most likely I'll buy a gun or 2 while living out here in CA and if I move back to MA I'm not really too worried about it. I'll FA10 them the same day I have a license in hand. Until then the hypothetical guns would just be stored in the safe with all my other guns I left back in MA at a trusted licensee's house.

Not sure If I'm running afoul of anything here but I don't really give a f*** anymore.

Last edited:
Why don’t you get a non-resident permit before you move?
Make sure that you are aware of CT’s AWB and mag capacity regs.

Bob
I don't follow, how does getting a non-resident permit helps me since the handgun is not be registered in CT. I thought the pistol must be transferred in CT ? Are you saying having a non-resident or even a resident permit will allow me to own and carry a handgun which was purchased and registered out of state??

I mean I'd just keep the gun and shut up about it. Get the CT license and move on with life.

Not sure about CT but in MA you have 60 days. And obviously the clowns at the pd will take a lot longer than 60 days to process your license. I'd imagine the risk of having a problem would be next to nothing if you kept the guns locked up in the house while waiting for the license to come in.

Most likely I'll buy a gun or 2 while living out here in CA and if I move back to MA I'm not really too worried about it. I'll FA10 them the same day I have a license in hand. Until then the hypothetical guns would just be stored in the safe with all my other guns I left back in MA at a trusted licensee's house.

Not sure If I'm running afoul of anything here but I don't really give a f*** anymore.Tha

Not sure If I'm running afoul of anything here but I don't really give a f*** anymore.
Well, my original thought was to keep it until I got my CC, but I am not 100% sure even that is legal. It seems to me that one cannot have nor carry a pistol which was purchased and registered in another state, it almost seems that one have to sell the gun. So even if I obtain a CC i'd be carrying an illegal gun, no?

That's why I am here asking these questions and I am hoping to hear from members who have experienced that.

Last edited:

Why would you let the state know what you have when it’s none of their business?

Why would you let the state know what you have when it’s none of their business?

meaning what? I don't understand sry.

Meaning-just bring the fricken firearm with you. Keep it in the closet. Shut up about it. Get your CT permit. Carry said firearm IAW your new state's laws. Move on with life.

CT wouldn't be my first choice in states, but moving around the country with firearms isn't rocket surgery. No need to tell the government every little thing about your life.

Then consult a lawyer, not a pro2a forum.
Another one..... you such a sport Jason. I would like to hear from someone who actually knows or have been in such situation, not interested in spewed comments, such information should be available without a lawyer consultation, many people move with guns, so please if you have No answer to my question and have nothing constructive to add, go ruin another thread.

Meaning-just bring the fricken firearm with you. Keep it in the closet. Shut up about it. Get your CT permit. Carry said firearm IAW your new state's laws. Move on with life.

CT wouldn't be my first choice in states, but moving around the country with firearms isn't rocket surgery. No need to tell the government every little thing about your life.
So you're saying there is nothing wrong/illegal with bringing in the gun and carry it after obtaining CC ? I am guessing then I won't be able to sell it?

so what? are your saying I have to wait 6 months before I could ask a question?? not funny, at all.
Another one..... you such a sport Jason. I would like to hear from someone who actually knows or have been in such situation, not interested in spewed comments, such information should be available without a lawyer consultation, many people move with guns, so please if you have No answer to my question and have nothing constructive to add, go ruin another thread.
Mikey you might want to consult a different source if you are going to get butt hurt bc a couple guys were ribbing ya and busting your chops... You're kinda coming off as kind of a 🍆 my man...

Yeah I am with you on not telling the government everything about your life, I was more concerned with the "issue" becoming a felony which I wanted to avoid ). I really don't want to sell my sig.

Last edited:
So, you're legally licensed in your state of residence, you're moving to CT and you have a firearm you'd like to bring with you.
If that's correct, then I offer the following:

1) Your premier source for firearms info is the SLFU, (state licensing and firearms unit);
Link: Firearms

2) CT has a couple different types of licenses; essentially ammo permit, longarms permit and pistol permit.
Ammo permit lets you buy ammo.
Longarms permit lets you buy ammo and buy longarms.
Pistol permit lets you buy ammo, longarms, pistols and lets you carry permit, (open or concealed).

3) You don't need a license to posses the firearm; with the caveat that you're on your own property, and there's a carve out for hunting with longarms too.

4) Non-resident permits are issued by SLFU, they have same ground rules as resident permits.

5) Certain firearms and types of firearms are illegal to posses in CT as well as "high capacity" magazines. <spit>.
There are exceptions to these laws for those grandfathered in and for the special people.

6) It is illegal in CT for "prohibited" people to have firearms. See link previously posted.

So - if you're not a prohibited person, and the firearm you want to bring to CT isn't prohibited by CT law, you can bring it to CT. If you do not have a weapons permit and it's a handgun, you can't carry it. I don't know what what happen if you tried to sell it, because sales have to be authorized by the SLFU. If you do sell it, your best bet is to go through an FFL, but you'll lose money compared to a private sale.

Last, but not least - you can transport your firearm from your state of residence to CT under FOPA; and a key component of FOPA is that you must be legal in both origin and destination states. So, make sure you're legal in CT before relying upon FOPA.

I *think* you're legal; but I'm going on what you said - and - I'm a code monkey, not an attorney. You get your ass in a crack, I'm sitting on the sidelines watching - not the one getting hurt. Always verify what you read on the internet when it's your ass on the line.

So, you're legally licensed in your state of residence, you're moving to CT and you have a firearm you'd like to bring with you.
If that's correct, then I offer the following:

1) Your premier source for firearms info is the SLFU, (state licensing and firearms unit);
Link: Firearms

2) CT has a couple different types of licenses; essentially ammo permit, longarms permit and pistol permit.
Ammo permit lets you buy ammo.
Longarms permit lets you buy ammo and buy longarms.
Pistol permit lets you buy ammo, longarms, pistols and lets you carry permit, (open or concealed).

3) You don't need a license to posses the firearm; with the caveat that you're on your own property, and there's a carve out for hunting with longarms too.

4) Non-resident permits are issued by SLFU, they have same ground rules as resident permits.

5) Certain firearms and types of firearms are illegal to posses in CT as well as "high capacity" magazines. <spit>.
There are exceptions to these laws for those grandfathered in and for the special people.

6) It is illegal in CT for "prohibited" people to have firearms. See link previously posted.

So - if you're not a prohibited person, and the firearm you want to bring to CT isn't prohibited by CT law, you can bring it to CT. If you do not have a weapons permit and it's a handgun, you can't carry it. I don't know what what happen if you tried to sell it, because sales have to be authorized by the SLFU. If you do sell it, your best bet is to go through an FFL, but you'll lose money compared to a private sale.

Last, but not least - you can transport your firearm from your state of residence to CT under FOPA; and a key component of FOPA is that you must be legal in both origin and destination states. So, make sure you're legal in CT before relying upon FOPA.

I *think* you're legal; but I'm going on what you said - and - I'm a code monkey, not an attorney. You get your ass in a crack, I'm sitting on the sidelines watching - not the one getting hurt. Always verify what you read on the internet when it's your ass on the line.
thank you. yes the first paragraph is 💯 correct.

Back
Top Bottom