• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question About Kittery

Does the Kittery Trading Post sell handloading components? I tried their website and came up with no information.

I ask because I'm looking for some inexpensive jacketed bullets, 185 to 200 grain, for light .45ACP target loads. My local gunshop charges $18 a box and living in Mass. I can't order from places like Midway any longer.
I'm planning to vacation in Maine next month, so Kittery is on my route.
JT

Thank you Dan.

The reason I'm searching for jacketed bullets is because I get terrible accuracy with cast bullets in my U.S. M1917 Colt. I've been told this is due to shallow rifling, and that .454 lead or .451 jacketed bullets work better than the .452 cast I use for the 1911s.

JT

you might try Riley"s in Hookset,NH as well. If kittery has them try rainier plated bullets and they do carry cast bullets as well,Just bought some 45 cal 200gr cast ran me $28.00 for 500

Thank you Dan.

The reason I'm searching for jacketed bullets is because I get terrible accuracy with cast bullets in my U.S. M1917 Colt. I've been told this is due to shallow rifling, and that .454 lead or .451 jacketed bullets work better than the .452 cast I use for the 1911s.

JT

Just slug your barrel to be sure. Your lead should be .001" over your groove size. I don't know how far north you are vacationing at but Bennett's has a bunch of cast bullets in his shop too, or did a month or so back when I bought some (getting too lazy to cast them myself).
HTH

Kittey is running their annual September fest sales. Powder is ten percent off. I don't know about other reloading items. Try not to go over the weekend as it usually is crowded.

But be advised, they aren't the cheapest in the area by any means. They do have a good supply of jacketed bullets and they stock a good deal of Rainier.

Just slug your barrel to be sure. Your lead should be .001" over your groove size. I don't know how far north you are vacationing at but Bennett's has a bunch of cast bullets in his shop too, or did a month or so back when I bought some (getting too lazy to cast them myself).
HTH

At least as far north as Bowdoin. Where is Bennett's?

JT

I prefer Riley's to Kittery. Riley's has a good selection, but more importantly they will order anything for you. Their prices not only beat Kittery by a margin, but they are also equal to or a hair less than Midway. And, at least if you live in the Boston area, Riley's is a shorter and prettier ride.

Well, I stopped in Kittery Sunday on the way home from Georgetown, and bought a box of Hornady 185-grain JHPs.
There was so much traffic about, I thought it was July.
Met a fellow customer at KTP who also recommended Riley's in Hookset, but I was tired of driving, it was out of my way, and I had miles to go.

JT

Back
Top Bottom