Question about how gun shops get certain things in stock

Wondering if anyone here has some insight into some of the inner workings of gun shops. For the last 6 months I've been on the look out for a Sig P220 Carry SAS gen 2 at my local gun shops. I have a couple really good ones in my area that always have quite a few different Sigs in stock and I stop in to browse every few weeks but still no dice. Talking to the employees they say Sig's are pretty hard/slow to come by. Same thing with Colt's (been keeping an eye out for a new Colt Commander). Was just wondering how that process works for a gun shop. Do they get themselves on a dealer list and just get a suprise batch from the mfg. when things become available? Just wondering if anyone here has experience with the process that could shed some light on how it all works.

From what I was told by one dealer, the distributor will call him when they get something he's requested in. If he wants it (still) they send it. If not, they go to the next shop on the list. They only allocate a certain number of these items for each shop. So if you can only get 4 special items per time frame, and you KNOW people are looking for those, you'll tend to pass on the items you don't think will sell as fast. With the number of shops around the country, they probably have the allocations filled/depleted by the time they get to the shops in your area. Or the shops are getting items that they know will sell faster/easier right now.

Eventually, you'll get the firearm you want. It just might take a while. I'd suggest calling shops that are further away from where you live/work for a while. See if they have the item you're looking for. Or if they have any coming in. Once you locate a shop, do your best to get there fast. Chances are, someone else is also looking for that same item and if he beats you to the store, it won't be there when you arrive (you might even see it walking out the door).

Any decent shop should be able to order exactly what you want from distributor and sell it to you.
Simple as that.

Problem is, with the shortages going on today, it's not that easy anymore. IF the item isn't that popular, yes. If it's one that's being really sought after, not so much.

Either way, make calls to see if they have one in stock. If they don't start asking about getting one ordered for you. Offer to pay a 'deposit' on the item. Just make sure it's a shop you'll want to do business with (or have confidence in). Once you get it ordered (especially if you put a deposit down) stop looking at other shops. With any luck, you'll get a call/email soon after about it either shipping from the distributor, or it's at the store.

Thanks guys, interesting info golddiggie.

ccm is there considerable wait time in your experience for an arraignment like that? To be honest I don't have alot of experience buying guns from shops, most of mine have been private sales. Obviously better to ask the shop but I haven't had the money saved up so I haven't been that proactive, just keeping an eye out.

I would wait until you had the full amount (plus some extra) in your hand before you go looking for the pistols. I did the same when it was time to go looking for an AR15. I had just sold a lens, so I had the $$ in hand. I got lucky in that a place I was told good things about, had a few in stock. Went over and made the purchase that day.

Where abouts are you located? I'd start looking at FFL's/dealers/shops within about an hour drive if I had a serious hard-on for one particular item (or even two). Or just bide your time and wait. Eventually things will get back towards normal and you'll be able to walk in and make the purchase.

I actually live in Colorado now (got out of MA a year ago thank god). I've been scouring the internet as well as local gun shops for the 220 but everyone seems to be out of stock. I've been looking since before the whole newtown panic rush (1000x worse than the reelection panic) and haven't had any luck so far. Seems like the Carry SAS aren't that common. Guess I'll just have to see if some place can order one for me.

If you were local, I'd say take a ride up to the Sig School, and talk to the guys up there. You'd have to have it shipped to a local dealer to do the xfer.

If you're there for a class you get the student discount.

I attend a few shoots up there every year and becaude we're using the range, we all get the student discount if we want it.

My understanding is that most distributors rank the gun shops based on purchase history. Their bigger dealers get larger / first crack at new inventory. That encourages local dealers to buy as much as possible from a single distributor to improve their rank and move up the list. Generally they will not let a place like Bud's wipe out a whole shipment, but they will get first right of refusal and get offered a larger % of the amount available vs. Bill's Storm Door & Gun Shop

From what I was told by one dealer, the distributor will call him when they get something he's requested in. If he wants it (still) they send it. If not, they go to the next shop on the list. They only allocate a certain number of these items for each shop.

Eventually, you'll get the firearm you want. It just might take a while.

Correct. If a shop near you would take payment for the firearm when they put the backorder in, you may have a better chance of getting what you want. See below.

Any decent shop should be able to order exactly what you want from distributor and sell it to you.
Simple as that.

They can. But the shop getting the item will solely depend on where they are on the back order list these days.

My understanding is that most distributors rank the gun shops based on purchase history. Their bigger dealers get larger / first crack at new inventory.

No. Orders at distributors and buying groups are filled in the order in which they are received. Some distrubutors have a backorder system, but most do not.

I actually live in Colorado now (got out of MA a year ago thank god). I've been scouring the internet as well as local gun shops for the 220 but everyone seems to be out of stock. I've been looking since before the whole newtown panic rush (1000x worse than the reelection panic) and haven't had any luck so far. Seems like the Carry SAS aren't that common. Guess I'll just have to see if some place can order one for me.

Well, since you are in Free America!

Try Bud's Gun Shop and have it shipped to your local FFL. Looks like they have it in stock as I type this.

Sigarms 220 Carry SAS Gen 2 45ACP NS SAO $679.00 SHIPS FREE

If you as a retailer sold $250,000 worth of Sig products a year you are considered by Sig to be a dealer in which case you can order directly from Sig. Anything less and you will have to order from the distributor and get on the list.

Back
Top Bottom