1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Question about Honey

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by chuckster, Aug 13, 2019.

1. toekneepea

toekneepea

You're right. In addition, honey with a moisture (water) content >18% can ferment. You'll see crystalization in the bottom of the jar, with a layer of moisture/bubbles and bad odor on top.

Dennis in MA likes this.

2. Choctaw

Choctaw NES Life Member NES Member

Unless it is Tupelo honey. It is the only honey that doesn't crystallize. I have ordered from LL Lanier a few times. It is expensive but very good.

L. L. Lanier & Son's Tupelo Honey

3. robjax

robjax

Look up the benefits of Manuka Honey.

A few years ago we we going to Grand Cayman. My youngest daughter cam home from her last day of school and had a sore throat and fever. We took her to the doc and got a quick strep test and it came back negative. We had to wait for the lab test. I asked the doc to write me a script for the anti biotic because we were going to be away for when the test came back.

I gave my daughter a few doses of this honey and some orange juice and the next day she was fine. You can call BS on it if you want but I have this and OJ everyday in the winter and I do not get sick.

I won't buy any other honey.

https://www.amazon.com/Wedderspoon-...words=manuka&qid=1565805364&s=gateway&sr=8-14

mibro likes this.
  4. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

5. chuckster

chuckster

Thanks everyone!

6. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
    "I eat my peas with honey
    I've done it all my life.
    It makes the peas taste funny,
    But it keeps them on my knife!"
    -MrHappy, Senior.

[laugh]

chuckules likes this.
  7. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

Are you serious? Damn I’ve tossed out some expensive pure honey because I never heard that I could bring it back.

8. Mass-diver

Mass-diver NES Member

No. Lots of variables. The honey I harvested from last year still hasn’t really crystallized.

I would also suggest you try “really raw” honey. I always bottle a little bit of this stuff for myself: unstrained so it has comb mixed in, bee body parts etc.

mibro likes this.
  9. Winchester73

Winchester73

I live 30 feet away from 6 hives that my neighbor owns. His knowledge of bees is remarkable and it's interesting to sit in my back yard and watch the ebb and flow of the hives throughout the day. His honey is, well, sweet as honey.

And yes, he and his family are solid 2A .

10. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

I remember buying some home grown honey in France, it crystallized really fast. The crap at Costco stays smooth forever.

11. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

Question for the new experts, as a kid we couldn't run barefoot in the yard without worrying about stepping on bees. Now I never see any. Is it proliferation of bee farms or are they dying out?

12. MGnoob

MGnoob NES Life Member NES Member

You could read about the possible answers to that question for hours.... an still not have a definitive answer....It’s probably a lot of factors.

No lack of bees around here. But there’s a lot of beekeepers

13. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

OK, I'll call BS. LOL

You're taking anecdotal evidence as fact. Run me a double-blind test and I'll believe you. Vitamin C HAS been tested as a cold relief/preventative - no discernible effect. Topical anti-biotic like honey. . . or Neosporin really won't do a whole lot for a throat. Sometimes things just hurt and then go away.

But if you believe it - that's enough to make it good for you. So no harm no foul, except to your pocketbook. :)

We had some that had to be. . . . 7-8 years old that still didn't crystalize. Well, it did around year 9 or so. But we don't use a lot of it and before we got rid of our bees, we had a bumper-crop year. One 5-gal pail lasted 9 years. Not bad, eh?

14. robjax

robjax

that's cool. I have always prescribed OJ for colds in my house. It worked but never so quickly until we used the Manuka.

Anyway, it gets me through the night with my belief in the Manuka Honey.

15. toekneepea

toekneepea

Your yard, as a kid, probably had a lot of clover and dandelions in it.

16. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

It did yeah but we have some in our house and never see bees on them.

17. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

I see bees on clover and dandelions all the time. Odd.

(Perhaps your fearful MEMORY makes it seem like there were many many more back then. Plus "back then" no one used lawn chemicals. Lots more clover and lions that we have today in most neighborhoods.)

Varmint likes this.
  18. chuckster

chuckster

So basically there's no way to tell if you're getting pure honey, you have to trust the seller and what's stated on the label.

19. toekneepea

toekneepea

OR, keep your own bees.

chuckster likes this.
  20. Sauer Grapes

Sauer Grapes NES Member

The only ingredient on the label is honey. Local honey will usually have the location of origin. I buy Hebert Honey from Oxford. Farm stands and farmers markets are good sources for finding local raw honey. Many suppliers can be found online. Also, honey does not go bad, as mentioned earlier, if it gets water in it the quality might go south. Keep a tight lid on it and it will last forever.
    It's the only food that doesn't spoil.

chuckster likes this.
  21. Dadstoys

Dadstoys NES Member

I have a ton in my garden.
    Some honeybees and a lot of bumbles.
    We all get along.
    I'm tying up the tomato plants and they just walk over my hands if I'm in the way.
    The honey bees seem to like the cucumber flowers better.

Mass-diver and Varmint like this.
  22. lancecolonel

lancecolonel NES Member

A few years ago my son had a wasp fly up his shirt. Stung him 5 times. Poor kid was screaming and had huge red welts. I put some manuka honey on them and not even an hour later the welts were gone. No redness, swelling or pain. I'm sold.

Mass-diver and mibro like this.
  23. AMV

AMV

If you have a country lawn with lots of clover there tends to be lot of bees in the grass, they will also come for water from due or sprinklers.. a pure weed free lawn like most people want now days leaves little interest for the bees to be on it.... no pollen... no nectar... Maybe water

Mass-diver likes this.
  24. mibro

mibro NES Member

Manuka honey has well-known medicinal and therapeutic qualities though to date it has been mostly used for wound care.

Therapeutic Manuka Honey: No Longer So Alternative

[Manuka] Honey has been tested in vitro on a diverse range of pathogens, particularly those that can colonize the skin, wounds and mucosal membranes, where topical honey treatment is possible. To date, in vitro assays have found manuka honey can effectively inhibit all problematic bacterial pathogens tested (summarized in Table Table11). Of particular interest is that clinical isolates with multiple drug resistance (MDR) phenotypes have no reduction in their sensitivity to honey, indicating a broad spectrum of action that is unlike any known antimicrobial (Willix et al., 1992; Blair and Carter, 2005; George and Cutting, 2007; Tan et al., 2009). In addition, attempts to generate honey-resistant strains in the laboratory have not been successful and there have been no reports of clinical isolate with acquired resistance to honey (Blair et al., 2009; Cooper et al., 2010).
    The spectrum of activity of [manuka] honey toward non-bacterial pathogens is yet to be well established. Recent studies examining the antiviral effect of manuka honey have suggested it has potential for treatment of varicella-zoster virus (the cause of chicken pox and shingles) (Shahzad and Cohrs, 2012) and influenza (Watanabe et al., 2014).

Mass-diver likes this.
  25. robjax

robjax

I put it in my oatmeal and also in tea. In fairness though I also put bourbon in my tea so for all I know it could be the bourbon that is the preventative measure....lol. Other times I'll spread it on an English muffin. Kids start feeling a sore throat coming on it I put some on a spoon and make them wash it down with orange juice. The only one who gets sick in my house is the wife because she doesn't like the Manuka Honey and she doesn't believe it works either. But again, she is the only one who gets either a cold or the flu.

My doctor laughs at me when I tell him stuff like this. But only once a year when I go in for my physical because that's the only time I go to see him now.

Before this I used to get a bad cold and end up with bronchitis every year at thanksgiving time. Then I would call the doctor and get the script for the antibiotic...You could set your watch by it. No more. That's enough proof for me. If I feel the slightest anything I get the Manuka.

mibro and Mass-diver like this.
  26. mibro

mibro NES Member

I'll suggest another natural remedy that's almost as good as Manuka Honey. The product UMCKA is an extract of the pelargonium sidoides plant (South African geranium). If I feel a cold coming on I take it immediately and half the time I don't get a cold, the other half the cold is reduced in severity. I like the original formulation of the product that makes a lemon drink.

It's funny when people who've taken aspirin all their lives - made from the bark of the willow tree - laugh at natural remedies. One day you wake up and realize prescription pharmaceuticals should be only one tool in the medical bag and not necessarily the first one you reach for.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019 at 7:58 PM
    robjax likes this.
  27. robjax

robjax

thanks for the recommendation.

28. watchman

watchman

Manuka honey is a honey that was never meant to be eaten by itself because it tastes so bad. It is very expensive because it comes from only one place it's a difficult crop and it's healing properties are better than other honeys. You can still get health benefits if you buy local honey within proximity to you. Teaspoon a day keeps the evil doctor away.

AMV and Mass-diver like this.