Question about Honey

Rating - 66.7%
2   1   0
But raw natural crystalized honey is the best! If you are looking for more, just take a bit of the good stuff and put it in a fresh pot of honey and you will have more crystals, faster.

Live-a-Little

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Is Raw Honey supposed to crystalize somewhat, or was something like corn syrup added to it? My wife thinks it's not pure honey.
Raw honey crystallizes faster than processed honey. Some don’t even make it from canning to your house before it crystallizes.

Great for spreading on toast.

Also real honey doesn’t really ever go bad unless something is added to it. It contains bee propolis which wards off bacteria, mold, and viruses, and pretty much any microbial. Some honey that’s been found from over 1000 years ago is still edible.

Honey In The Pyramids

Can You Use Still Use That Jar of Honey?

Propolis: Benefits, Uses, and More

LittleCalm

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Biggest risk with honey is that many distributors cut it with other compounds like corn syrup. Try to find 100% from a local source.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a few seconds in the microwave .
Good as new
Loosen the lid first !
Heating the honey in the microwave will kill it's beneficial properties. You can warm it in a pan of hot water or on the dashboard of your car on a sunny day. Raw honey will crystallize because it has not been heated ... heated honey is sugar water that's what you buy in the store. The heating stops the honey from crystallizing but then your just paying for expensive sugar water and loosing all the benefits of the natural properties.

For some they can't get past the idea of paying more to a local beekeeper but your not paying more your paying for the real thing with local pollens which provide health benefits.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
But raw natural crystalized honey is the best! If you are looking for more, just take a bit of the good stuff and put it in a fresh pot of honey and you will have more crystals, faster.
so you are saying that the crystals propagate thru honey, the same way that Ice 9 will propagate thru all the water on earth? So...all the worlds honey is doomed?

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Heating the honey in the microwave will kill it's beneficial properties. You can warm it in a pan of hot water or on the dashboard of your car on a sunny day. Raw honey will crystallize because it has not been heated ... heated honey is sugar water that's what you buy in the store. The heating stops the honey from crystallizing but then your just paying for expensive sugar water and loosing all the benefits of the natural properties.

For some they can't get past the idea of paying more to a local beekeeper but your not paying more your paying for the real thing with local pollens which provide health benefits.
Woah, you are going full crunchy granola on us.

upload_2019-8-13_19-40-19.png
NEVER go full crunchy granola!

Dadstoys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

It was a beekeeper that told me that one and the emphasis was on "A few seconds" , I assume to prevent what you are pointing out.
I have a customer that throws me a jar of clover honey from his hives every year.
Damn, that's good stuff.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a beekeeper that told me that one and the emphasis was on "A few seconds" , I assume to prevent what you are pointing out.
I have a customer that throws me a jar of clover honey from his hives every year.
Damn, that's good stuff.
Clover honey is allowed to have a higher moisture content in it then other honeys doesn't crystallize as fast as others either.

Sauer Grapes

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've been using local honey for a few years now. My pollen allergies are just about gone...

fencer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I've been using local honey for a few years now. My pollen allergies are just about gone...
I think it's a natural aphrodisiac too.
My neighbor, a sweet, attractive school teacher has been trying her hand at bee keeping for a couple of years now. Must be potent stuff because for an hour today I could hear her yelling " F#&k Me ! " with her little white suit on.
I thought " damn, I hope she sells that stuff so I can put it in my wife's tea"

Seriously, she has spent A LOT of time and I imagine considerable money and has had no success.

Live-a-Little

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Also just an FYI for those who don’t know as I didn’t when we had our first child. Honey shouldn’t be given to any babies below the age of one. Their digestive tracts aren’t mature enough to process out the botulism leading to infant botulism. SCARY STUFF!!!

jasonj84

Dealer
NES Member
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
So, if I am getting honey from a local farm, and it isn’t crystallizing, I should be looking for a new source? Taking it for pollen allergies.

kurtb

NES Member
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Pure honey is the only "food" that never ever spoils. They found honey that was in an Egyptian tomb that was still good to go and quite tasty I guess..

toekneepea

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, if I am getting honey from a local farm, and it isn’t crystallizing, I should be looking for a new source? Taking it for pollen allergies.
Some honeys will take a while to crystalize. I'd have to look it up, but I think Goldenrod honey (and a few others) crystalize almost immediately. Others will stay in the liquid state for longer.

In addition, if the combs the honey was first cured in (and extracted from) had seed crystals from some leftover honey from last year's harvest - it will crystalize faster than normal. Lots of variables - but if it crystalizes then don't worry, it's still edible.

Rating - 92.9%
13   1   0
It also depends on the extraction method. Cold pressed is best, but other folks take shortcuts.
In PA, I have lived between 1200 acres that belonged to beekeepers. Still buy from them and will not touch anything else, except Eastern European honey.
Goldenrod, aka Solidago makes awesome honey. So does clover or wild berries. Pine honey is off the hook, and chestnut or Acacia are out of this world.

Duxprep

NES Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The speed of crystalization depends on the nectars the bees collect. I keep bees and some years I have honey that doesn't crystalize for several years. Other times it will all crystalize within 6 months. Honey is mostly sugars so it will all eventually crystalize. It doesn't mean it's bad. As stated above just heat the jar of honey in a pot of hot water and it will return to liquid form. Don't microwave it as it will kill the beneficial enzymes

toekneepea

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A final note, honey crystalization is also affected by the temperature you store the honey in. <30º (in the freezer) it won't crystalize for a long time. In the fridge? It will crystalize pretty quickly. Above 60º will take longer to crystalize.

The way to make creamed/whipped honey is to first heat it to remove any/all crystals, seed it with very fine crystalized honey, and then store it at I think 50º-60º - which speeds up crystalization...

By God's grace, I have a surplus this year, so I'm going to experiment with some mead, and creamed honey. Will Karma something off when it's done.

Top Bottom