• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question about Gun Shop/Dealer + Ranges in Florida

I know this is NORTHEast shooters but I thought I'd pose the question:

I have two friends, both of them in their retirement years but very sharp, no health/mind problems who have moved to Florida. One thing they're considering is purchasing a handgun for their personal defense in the home and possibly their car. Neither of them have ever owned a firearm before but they're in good physical and mental shape and are considering it.

Does anyone here know of any really good, reputable gun shops in the Sarasota-to-Port Charlotte area on the West Coast of Florida that you would recommend for a first-time buyer, female, retirement age but not "one foot in the grave" who will need some courteous assistance and some range time? I'm looking for a high-quality shop or dealer who knows how to treat people well, can recommend a suitable firearm for them, and assist them with the basic training and range time they will need. It would be great if that was all in one location. Price is not as important as quality, reputation and customer service.

You can PM me or comment here in the thread. Thanks very much in advance.

Thanks very much. This was a real question and a serious one and the people I reference are very interested in knowing the information. I just don't know anyone in Florida.

However this is two older women who live togther (both husbands deceased) and they're in good shape in terms of their faculties and overall health. They just moved there. They know me, they know I'm a gun owner and asked the question and I want to give them a good answer. They're very nice ladies, each with long professional careers, etc., etc. The most important thing is to find a dealer/range that won't condescend to them and will help them choose and learn to use the firearm with as much competence as possible - they're serious about it and they don't want to be talked down to or go to a disreputable dealership. They are interested in owning a firearm for their self defense but are well past the point they enjoy dealing with juveniles on important matters.

Last edited:
I understand but have never been on the West Coast of Florida for longer than 1 or 2 days and didn't cruise any gun shops on that trip.

Asking in the FL local forum where you might get some females to offer their experience and intel on their local scene is the best bet.

Yes, some shops treat women pretty badly, whereas a guy's experience in that same shop might be outstanding. That's why you need the local intel on the situation down there.

Back
Top Bottom