• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question about Gun Cleaning , what to use on polymer , polygonal rifling handguns?

So im new , picking up my handgun in a few days and im going to stop over at bass pro and pick up a gun cleaning kit.

My question is what do you use for say an Hk, or glock that is polymer, and has the special polygonal bore?

Second question is what type of lubricant/grease and what type of cleaner would you recomend, but its got to be safe to use in the house?

I was looking at the Hoppes Elite stuff because its mostly non toxic. People has told me to use break free non chlorinated .. And i have no clue as to what to use . Minus the fact to get non chlorinated cause it will not harm the polymer but what is it lol.

if you want to splurge: gunzilla (google it). it's non toxic, smells good.

but for a combat pistol like a glock, i just hoppes 9 solven and hoppes 9 lube. try not to over think it. any cleaner will do as you can get thousands of rounds through a glock w/o cleaning it.

[wave]

off topic: how did you pick your screen name? Lil Kim? [laugh]

MP-9 for cleaning. Sometimes I'll use Hoppes #9 if it looks like there's copper fouling.

For lubrication I use Weapons Shield for general lubrication and protection, Pro-Shot Zero Friction for low-pressure friction points like pins, triggers and sears, and synthetic wheel-bearing grease for high pressure friction points like slide and frame rails.

I've been using Hoppe's #9 for >30 years on damn near everything (including USPs, Glocks). I use CLP on AR15s. I use Rem Oil for lube and TW25 for grease when needed.

I've tried Gunzilla . . . not impressed.

I find that Shooter's Choice Bore Cleaner works best for me when cleaning the bores (what else? [laugh]) but I tend to use MPro7 for the rest of the gun - the MPro7 has a much less offensive odor if you're cleaning in the house and are concerned with other people's noses.

Shooter's Choice is a great cleaner but has a very definite chemical odor - you want to have plenty of ventilation when using it!

I use CLP or PLC (the industrial variant of CLP) for everything.

The only thing I clean on any of my tupperware is the feedramp. I just wipe the schmutz off it.

I've been using Hoppe's #9 for >30 years on damn near everything (including USPs, Glocks). I use CLP on AR15s. I use Rem Oil for lube and TW25 for grease when needed.

I've tried Gunzilla . . . not impressed.

it is expensive. but i mainly use it on my AR bolt assy and chamber. spray on, wipe off. i went 1500 rounds w/o even lubing the thing. so i like it. [laugh]

SCCCCREEEEEETCH, said Mr. DPMS.

but at $19 / bottle, it's not exactly "cheap" either. i also have rem oil spray, and this white grease stuff that's pretty cool too.

Currently, Ed's Red to clean, 60/40 Mobil one & ATF to lube.
Before that, Hoppe's No. 9 and Hoppe's oil
I think I have a can of gun scrubber around too.

So i was going to drive up to Fs for the m pro 7, but i was tired of driving around today, so i went to what was super close to me, bass pro . I originally... Lol went there for just a cleaning brush set. As i was kneeling down looking at these deluxe cleaning kits a guy was like, the bamboo box set is the best deal. I look up, and it was santa, or maybe it was just a jolly old fat man with a big white/grey beard and mustache..

I say ok. Then pick up this massive cleaning set, and so im looking at the oils , and sees me so damn confused , i ask him what do i get? So he was cool, and he got me a small bottle of hoppes #9 , a bottle of rem oil, , and then asks so who are you buying all this for, and i go me:) . So hes like so what do you have shotgun rifle pistol, and i say its for my first pistol, he looks down , you dont need that big kit, here and gives me a 9mm kit, simple not to much stuff, i also picked up a bore snake and a box of hornady xd1 hp's so i can compare between my federal hst's. I go up to the counter and hes like good luck. Guess i wont be needing to go to fs afterall. Next up tomorrow going to first defense and picking up the crossbreed holster. Pictures coming soon, i may post them in my original conceal purse thread

ok so i guess the next question is, am i set , or should i go tomorrow and get the M7pro set of cleaner + Lubricant? also whats a good grease, if i need that for the gun. Is the hoppes #9 polymer safe?

Last edited:
ok so i guess the next question is, am i set , or should i go tomorrow and get the M7pro set of cleaner + Lubricant? also whats a good grease, if i need that for the gun. Is the hoppes #9 polymer safe?

If you have the #9 + Rem Oil, I'd say you should just stick to it unless you feel it's not working well. I remember I got a free Outer's kit & I've used it for quite some time, but it's definitely not as good as Hoppe's IMO.

As for the grease, I've mostly heard of people using it on guns with metal frames & full-length rails (i.e. 1911s, Sigs, etc.) though I may be way off with that. I'd expect you to do just fine with just the oil or even a good CLP.

ETA: just saw M1911s post. I hate it when I get distracted mid-reply & someone beats me to it!

you don't need to go overboard with cleaning supplies, get the items you

need to clean the gun you have, when you buy another caliber, pick up

any unique items you may need for that one. basically a lot of cleaning

supplies are snake oil.

I use Mobil synthetic grease on 1911 rails. It's a bit of a pain to pack into a 10 cc syringe, but flows nicely if you unscrew the needle. Better yet if you can score some luer lock caps for the end of the syringe (second photo of red doodads) or empty a pre-filled 10cc saline flushe that come with such a cap. I use a flat screwdriver with a wide blade to pack the syringe.

I use Mpro 7 for cleaning,, and Rem Oil spray when I want a very thin lubricant, or for wiping down blued guns before stowing them in the ordnance locker.

1625450088315.png 1625450239791.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom