question about GPS units and Bluetooth

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have been trying find a system that I can use on my m'cycle to hear GPS navigation commands in a Bluetooth enabled earbud.

I have an older GPS (Garmin Nuvi 265WT) that is bluetooth capable...for those that might want to peruse the manual, here is the link: http://static.garmin.com/pumac/2675_OwnersManual.pdf

I am wondering if I were to buy an in ear bluetooth capable earbud if that would pair with this GPS.

I know I could probably use my smart phone but it uses data and if I download maps to use offline, it just about uses all my onboard memory.

There is a series of Garmin called the Zumo series that is designed for motorcycle riders but either I am misunderstanding how the bluetooth works with these or I'm just stupid. They keep talking about pairing it (the Zumo) to a smart phone. I don't want that...I simply want to hear the navigation alerts on a wireless earbud.

Motorcycle GPS Navigators | GPS Navigation Motorcycles | Garmin

Do any of you ride that has figured this out? I'm planning a cross country trip in the next year or so on my bike and would like to have something in place before I start this trek.

School me, please!

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
the Harley Zumo units are also a XM radio, media player off a memory card, and when it prompts a command it cuts into any audio and announces the turn, etc. thru the speakers or headsets. It also interfaces with a phone.

They became obsolete with the super duper infotainment centers introduced in 2014 though, plus they are several hundred dollars more than a Garmin sourced Zumo

The Zumo 660 is pretty much top of the line and puts the turn by turn into your Bluetooth headset

the 665 had a XM/Sirius option but it is discontinued... look for one used

Last edited:

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What kind of data plan do you have that you can't use Waze?
I pre-buy my data one gb at a time, 5$/g. I don’t know how much data is used when using waze or any other nav app like that. I use Republic Wireless.

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
the Harley Zumo units are also a XM radio, media player off a memory card, and when it prompts a command it cuts into any audio and announces the turn, etc. thru the speakers or headsets. It also interfaces with a phone.

They became obsolete with the super duper infotainment centers introduced in 2014 though, plus they are several hundred dollars more than a Garmin sourced Zumo

The Zumo 660 is pretty much top of the line and puts the turn by turn into your Bluetooth headset

the 665 had a XM/Sirius option but it is discontinued... look for one used
The Zumo 660 and a couple of others were what I was looking at. I don’t need the Sirius/XM.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What kind of data plan do you have that you can't use Waze?
waze, and other phone based GPS systems require a fairly constant cell phone signal to update the map info. So unless you want to pre-load maps (i think google maps lets you do that), you run out of coverage in cell phone dead zones.

When i drive my car cross country, i would not be caught dead without my garmin on the dash. there was this one road in southern Kanasas...i would have been without maps for like five hours without the garmin

HarryPottar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a Zumo 660 IP6 water proof, shock proof, great for riding in all sorts of weather.

Works with Bluetooth head set, you can also pair your phone at the same time and take that all important call from the wife, who’s on the back seat question.

Great device, you can do route planning for rides as well so not just direct directions from A to B.

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a Zumo 660 IP6 water proof, shock proof, great for riding in all sorts of weather.

Works with Bluetooth head set, you can also pair your phone at the same time and take that all important call from the wife, who’s on the back seat question.

Great device, you can do route planning for rides as well so not just direct directions from A to B.
This is what I like about the Zumo series...the ability to choose your own routes, not what the GPS thinks you need.

Top Bottom