• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question About Getting My FID

I’m 17 and quite new to this, looking to get my FID. It says that you can use a basic firearms training certificate or a basing hunting certificate to get it. Now what I also found is hunting certificates work nationally so would say a New York hunting certificate work to get my Massachusetts FID?

I’m 17 and quite new to this, looking to get my FID. It says that you can use a basic firearms training certificate or a basing hunting certificate to get it. Now what I also found is hunting certificates work nationally so would say a New York hunting certificate work to get my Massachusetts FID?
First of all good for you!

EDIT: You need a MA hunter ed or State Police BFS certificate. Were you issued one when you took Hunter safety in MA?
Hurry and apply for the FID BEFORE you turn 18. Its only $25 now. Once you turn 18 its $100.

Last edited:
OP - it has to be a Mass HE cert, per chapter 269 of the MGLs. This is because some of the basics of Mass gun laws are discussed.

Just so you know, there are some towns that will not honor the HE Cert for FID/LTC issuance. In that case, you have to either suck it up, and take an LTC course (Don't take one that's only good for FID issuance, e.g., Basic Shotgun), so you don't have to take an LTC-suitable course, again, or try to fight the Machine.

Oh, some towns "Forget" that you have a discounted rate, so print out the section of Ch. 140 of the MGLs in case they don't know. You also need a letter of parental/guardian consent, as you're <18.

If you don't have a mentor, join a Club, and find someone that can show you the ropes.

Welcome.

Back
Top Bottom