• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question about FA-10s

I have a friend who lives in MA that purchased a glock through a police dept. also in MA. The glock is a confiscated duty weapon from a PT cop who had a restraining order taken out on him so he had to forfeit the gun blah blah blah. Now my friend is unsure of whether he needs to send his copy of the FA-10 into the firearm registry or if the police dept. he bought it from will take care of it. It is the seller's responsibility in all cases (with the exception of out of state purchases) to send in the FA-10, correct?

He bought a gun *from* the police department, and not through an FFL? If so, that's ... highly unusual. If through an FFL, the FFL dealt with it, and should have given him a copy of the FA10.

Someone was supposed to do an FA-10. If the PD did it, they would have had him sign it, put down info on himself, his LTC, etc. If the PD didn't do it, he should do one as "registration" and just send it in.

well it was basicallly a FTF with the ex officer but because he had his LTC revoked, he couldn't handle the firearm so he had the PD that was holding it take care of it. My friend doesn't know what happened to the paperwork the PD kept, whether it was turned over to the seller or if they sent it in. IIRC, it's seller responsibility, but I did tell him what lens just said, if he's worried about it to just send one in as a registration.

well it was basicallly a FTF with the ex officer but because he had his LTC revoked, he couldn't handle the firearm so he had the PD that was holding it take care of it. My friend doesn't know what happened to the paperwork the PD kept, whether it was turned over to the seller or if they sent it in. IIRC, it's seller responsibility, but I did tell him what lens just said, if he's worried about it to just send one in as a registration.

Hmmmmm, if it was turned in to/ confiscated by the police, I would probably do as Len said, as Len is pretty damned knowledgeable on this stuff.

I thought it must go to the way overpriced, never get it back out bonded warehouse if it was confiscated... didn't know you could simply ask the police to FTF it to someone else...

I thought it must go to the way overpriced, never get it back out bonded warehouse if it was confiscated... didn't know you could simply ask the police to FTF it to someone else...

well keep in mind this was a former PT cop with said dept. I'm sure this wouldn't happen with the average joe.

Didn't think you could do a FTF with someone if their LTC was revoked, and a PD is not an FFL. Something about this just doesn't pass the sniff test.

Didn't think you could do a FTF with someone if their LTC was revoked, and a PD is not an FFL. Something about this just doesn't pass the sniff test.

I have been told by officials that when a LTC is revoked for anything EXCEPT a 209A, you can request the PD to transfer the gun to any MA Resident LTC holder. Apparently you put down the LTC info on the person who was revoked and have both parties sign the FA-10. Do NOT think this will work with e-filing, but will on PDF. Max of 4 transfers this way.

[209A revocations means all guns/ammo/mags must go to FFL or bonded warehouse and can't be privately transfered.]

I have been told by officials that when a LTC is revoked for anything EXCEPT a 209A, you can request the PD to transfer the gun to any MA Resident LTC holder...209A revocations means all guns/ammo/mags must go to FFL or bonded warehouse and can't be privately transfered.

True.

140-129D allows transfer to "...any licensed dealer or any other person legally permitted to purchase or take possession..."

209A-3B stipulates "...nothing herein shall authorize the transfer of any weapons surrendered by the defendant to anyone other than a licensed dealer..."

well pretty funny cuz im pretty sure this was due to a restraining order but whatever. This really was a friend of mine looking for advice. Im not a glock fan.

There's no requirement in MGL that confiscated guns have to go to the dowd/cohen extortion warehouses, only that PDs are free to send confiscated guns there. Anti gun PDs will ring those guys up to try to f**k over the real gun owner when he tries to have someone else legally take control of his hardware.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom