• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question about current license vs my renewal(no restrictions)

I currently have a firearms license (restrictions:hunting/target), expires in Sept.

I just recieved my new license in the mail:no restrictions. It has a date of issue in September.

I will carry both in my wallet.

My question, could I conceal carry now? Even though technically my no restrictions license doesn’t start until Sept??

Thx

Suppose you are driving through a school zone which stipulates the speed limit is 20MPH from 8AM to 4PM and it's 3:58PM. Can you be ticketed for that? Yes. Is it annoying? Yes.

This state doesn't like gun owners and barely tolerates us. Logic tells me the state considers your old permit the valid one until your new permit supersedes it by virtue of its start of validity (September).

In practical terms, it depends on your town. Some towns are friendly to 2A and couldn't give a shit. But beware, these towns can juxtapose one another. My town, Medford, would have you bent over the hood of a cruiser for carrying on your restricted permit. Half a mile away in Malden? They would probably have a good laugh about it.

You answered your own question: your renewal does not become valid until your old one expires.

You're welcome.

Slight difference--I would say the renewed permit is the valid one if its issue date comes before the expiration date of the old permit, if such a scenario is possible. Which I would imagine it is since you are supposed to apply for the renewal well before the LTC expires.

Here's the language of the MGLs

(i) A license to carry or possess firearms shall be valid, unless revoked or suspended, for a period of not more than 6 years from the date of issue and shall expire on the anniversary of the licensee's date of birth occurring not less than 5 years nor more than 6 years from the date of issue;

Here's the source:
https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/Parti/Titlexx/Chapter140/Section131

Since the original permit expires on the OP's birthday, and the renewal cannot be valid for more than (6) years, were the renewal LTC to be valid before the OP's birthday (and, therfore expiration of the original LTC), it would have to be valid for more than (6) years.

That's how I read it.

IANAL

Slight difference--I would say the renewed permit is the valid one if its issue date comes before the expiration date of the old permit, if such a scenario is possible. Which I would imagine it is since you are supposed to apply for the renewal well before the LTC expires.
I got my renewal early. The licensing officer said to keep the old one until it expires.

OP, I know it s*cks, but it's almost August already.

I wouldnt risk it in this state that can and will destroy your life.

Last edited:
New one has a date of issue in September, old one expires in September. This does not seem complicated or questionable.

The new LTC is not valid until it's date of issue.

Assuming that you live in Cambridge, as your username would suggest, the fact that you have an LTC at all, let alone getting an unrestricted one upon renewal is astonishing. Good for you, sir. And don't carry until the new one is in effect... Unless you can go to the PD and request a reprint of your current one to remove the restrictions. It has been done. Maybe not in cambridge, but it has been done.

I currently have a firearms license (restrictions:hunting/target), expires in Sept.

I just recieved my new license in the mail:no restrictions. It has a date of issue in September.

I will carry both in my wallet.

My question, could I conceal carry now? Even though technically my no restrictions license doesn’t start until Sept??

Thx
A new book at Amazon called GUN SENSE answers many Ma gun law questions.

Back
Top Bottom