• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

question about concealed carry

Due to some finacial problems , I had to sell my carry gun a while back . Really hated to do it !!!
My remaining handgun [ if you could only have one gun ---- ] is a 4" GP100 .
My question --- Is printig the same as brandishing . If I was carrying the GP under a T shirt , the gun would be "concealed " but sort of obvious a gun is under my shirt .
What do you think ? Any suggestions ?
Saving up to buy another carry gun but it will be a while .

Due to some finacial problems , I had to sell my carry gun a while back . Really hated to do it !!!
My remaining handgun [ if you could only have one gun ---- ] is a 4" GP100 .
My question --- Is printig the same as brandishing . If I was carrying the GP under a T shirt , the gun would be "concealed " but sort of obvious a gun is under my shirt .
What do you think ? Any suggestions ?
Saving up to buy another carry gun but it will be a while .

Why would you want to potentially bring that kind of attention to yourself?

I prefer when it remains "my little secret".

Keep it deep, and discreet, or trade it for something that works better with your wardrobe.

Why would you want to potentially bring that kind of attention to yourself?

I prefer when it remains "my little secret".

Keep it deep, and discreet, or trade it for something that works better with your wardrobe.

I will NEVER trade or sell another gun . I always regret doing it !!

I should have said that I would be carrying the GP only while hiking various trails with my dog . Some places I hike don't see many people but some places are sort of crowded , ralatively speaking .

Printing is not the same as brandishing.

It kind of defeats the concealed idea if it is obvious your packing.

In some areas if your printing and the sheep freak out, don't be surprised to find yourself with a face full of sidewalk.

In MA there is no law against printing. For that matter there is no law against open carry. It's generally accepted, though, that it's a bad idea and could likely be used to find you unsuitable. It's really a crapshoot in that regard. It is possible that your firearm could be printing obviously, cause someone concern, result in a 911 call, and conclude with your LTC being revoked because your CLEO doesn't think you're suitable anymore. No crimes were committed, no laws broken, but you still get stripped of your LTC.

So far I'm hearing that I shouldn't try to carry the GP100 . This sucks . I hate going into the woods , especially off the beaten path , without carrying . Even more so , becauase there was a shooting/murder , last weekend , on a trail I've been on many times .

So far I'm hearing that I shouldn't try to carry the GP100 . This sucks . I hate going into the woods , especially off the beaten path , without carrying . Even more so , becauase there was a shooting/murder , last weekend , on a trail I've been on many times .

The GP100 is certainly concealable. Why does it have to print? The right holster and the right cover garment and it should work. It won't hide under a fitted shirt in a belt holster, but I have concealed larger guns then that. JMHO.

You can definitely carry a 4 in barrelled revolver without printing. Get a good belt and holster and some slightly bigger shirts. Or just put a hoodie or windbreaker over your t shirt when you are carrying it. Check out the show us your concealed carry rigs thread under the gun gallery section of this forum for some ideas on how you can cc a full sized gun. I think Jose's setups will be especially helpful for you in that thread.

Ever consider an ankle rig? Not as quick a draw as on the hip, but still better than nothing at all.

Not gonna work for a 4" GP100:

269.jpg

Even a big dude with baggy pants isn't going to be able to walk around with one of these strapped to his ankle -- if you could find an ankle holster for it, which you can't.

Buy some T-shirts that are a size larger.

Buy some Hawaiian style shirts for cover.

You have to "dress to carry" . . . just getting another gun is not the best solution to the problem (although more is always better [wink] ).

You have to "dress to carry" . . .

When I started on this journey last year I read a couple of books, one by Massad Ayoob. There was a chapter about your "carry wardrobe" that was really informative.

When I started to carry that info turned out to be very practical and helpful.

Best,

Rich

The GP100 is certainly concealable. Why does it have to print? The right holster and the right cover garment and it should work. It won't hide under a fitted shirt in a belt holster, but I have concealed larger guns then that. JMHO.

If you ask this question in the CCW section of the S&W forum virtually everyone will respond positively, you just gotta find the right rig.

Right now I have a comp-tac c-tac for an N frame S&W for hiking. I have not worn it for long periods of time but concealing any larger framed handgun is certainly possible.

Bill

I like the 'pack' idea while hiking. I usually have some small pack with water and other stuff. I don't have one of these, but I am considering upgrading to one.

I was going to write some long thing here but instead...Long story short get a good holster and conceal it...at least here in MA.

As everyone else has said it should be no problem if you dress to conceal. Another idea might be a shoulder holster under a vest or windbreaker. I think you'd be quite surprised at how many sheeple will have no clue what is under your shirt if they don't actually see the gun. They don't expect people to be carrying a gun so it doesn't even occur to them that a vague bulge could even be a gun.

I'm one of those people who refuse to dress to conceal.

Because of that, my carry collection includes a Kahr PM9, Ruger LCP and Smith 340. All of these are pocket carryable and if carried in a holster, pretty much disappear.

With that said. You have what you have. I'd agree with the poster who mentioned a fanny pack. I believe that desantis makes one with a holster built in.

I personally don't like IWBs for thicker guns. for example, a glock is a pain in an iwb, but a 1911 is fine. Even though its bigger, its slimmer.

The GP100 is thick through the cylinder.

The other thing nice about a fanny pack is that it is quicker to get to than something in a backpack. Especially if you wear it in front, off to the side a bit.

Any gun guy knows that a fanny pack means the wearer is either gay or packing, or both. Nothing wrong with that, as a gun guy is not likely to be alarmed by that knowledge.

Don

ps. Lets talk about the big picture. What is your primary use of this gun? If its primarily for carry, I suggest you sell it and buy something similarly priced that is more concealable. Maybe a 3 inch J frame. Or a Kahr PM9. (all used prices)

Brandishing;

1 : to shake or wave (as a weapon) menacingly 2 : to exhibit in an ostentatious or aggressive manner

"There's no "brandishing" law in Mass." Quote GSG

Do this in Mass. when the LEO shows up just tell him there is no law against brandishing and I'm sure you'll be G2G. [wink]

Brandishing;

1 : to shake or wave (as a weapon) menacingly 2 : to exhibit in an ostentatious or aggressive manner

"There's no "brandishing" law in Mass." Quote GSG

Do this in Mass. when the LEO shows up just tell him there is no law against brandishing and I'm sure you'll be G2G. [wink]

He was right, but as you point out, if you try to push this point you will be charged with "contempt of cop"! [wink] [NOTE: You have to read Joseph Wambaugh's books to understand this charge properly.[laugh] ]

I should have said that I would be carrying the GP only while hiking various trails with my dog . Some places I hike don't see many people but some places are sort of crowded , ralatively speaking .

If it was printing when I went to the grocery store I'd worry, but out in the woods it couldn't be THAT crowded, could it?

Back
Top Bottom