• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question about building an AR

I have zero knowledge of how to build an AR. Aside from purchasing the upper and lower, barrel, grips, and the shoulder thinggy that goes up, exactly what is required to complete the project? Is there a complete parts kit that includes springs, pins, trigger etc? Is there a guide out there on the Interwebs that is like "AR's for Dummies"?

Yes, there are parts kits for the lowers. Has everything you need.
YouTube is always a good source.
Wear safety glasses please. I don't want to see a post from you saying you have a detent pin stuck in your eye......

+1 on the safety glasses. If it's your first time inevitably you're going to miss a spring and detent and something will go flying.. You'll need some basic AR tools too. They are not too expensive and are necessary to do the job right.

At an absolute minimum:

an AR multi-wrench thingy like this
a set of punches

I would also recommend a vise and an AR vise block(s) of some type for both the lower and upper. Some roll pin starter punches will make life easier too.

That and some attention to detail is about all you'll need.

Last edited:
+1 on the safety glasses. If it's your first time inevitably you're going to miss a spring and detent and something will go flying.. You'll need some basic AR tools too. They are not too expensive and are necessary to do the job right.

Get a magnet for those detents or offer $10 to what ever kid finds it (I have a $10 detent). I had my laptop open next to me during my first build.

.......and don't be intimidated. If you have an attention to detail and are mechanically inclined you will not find this at all difficult in any way.

one last bit of advice on tools - get a set of head space gauges. Get all 3 - Go, No-Go, and Field. When your build is complete you need to check head space on your rifle. The odds of it being out of tolerance are low, but if it is it could be disastrous for the rifle and operator. Lots of videos on you tube on how to head space an AR-15.

.......and don't be intimidated. If you have an attention to detail and are mechanically inclined you will not find this at all difficult in any way.

one last bit of advice on tools - get a set of head space gauges. Get all 3 - Go, No-Go, and Field. When your build is complete you need to check head space on your rifle. The odds of it being out of tolerance are low, but if it is it could be disastrous for the rifle and operator. Lots of videos on you tube on how to head space an AR-15.

I wouldn't bother with a field gauge. If the bolt closes on a no-go, I'm not shooting it.

I've never built one, but that's going to change, at least for the lower. A couple of friends of mine have and they say that building a lower is easy. You do need some tools as others have noted, and a clear workspace seems to be a must. One friend built his on his kitchen table and didn't lose any parts. I plan to buy one of those under bed storage bins since it's big and has low sides. That will decrease the risk of losing springs and small bits.

My friends recommend the videos you can find at Brownells for guidance.

Another thing I found out: Despite "specs", different generation barrels and uppers and bolts don't always match up with each other properly. I thought there was standardization, but then I guess there is standardization and then there is STANDARDIZATION. Sucks when things don't work the way you want them to.

What's not fitting?

It will take a while to put your first lower together. Figure 1-2 hours. When I did mine, I learned the hard way about pivot pin detent launches and now always assemble that with the pivot pin installation tool in a large ziploc bag. I assembled my first watching the brownells videos and pausing them periodically at places to make sure I had the right part for the right component.

When I put together a lower over xmas, it took 10-15 min. total including the one pivot pin detent/spring launch - but the plastic bag saved my ass.

Unless this somthing you want to do the cost of a gun smith building you AR is very small. Just to give you an idea of the cost we only charge $25.00 to build a lower and $65.00 to build an upper and this includes drill, pin and weld of the muzzle device.
I am sure the other guys are in the same ball park.

Back
Top Bottom