• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question about Black Powder Revolver

Hi guys I was on the Cabela's website and they have a black powder revolver. I'm 20 so still can't apply for my LTC and like the look of this gun. It's not large capacity or anything. I did some research on the MA laws and it is made to look like a replica of a gun made before 1899, so therefore I can buy it right? The only thing here is that when they talk about handguns it just says made before 1899. Can someone clear this up for me? Also, would I run into any problems going to buy this in Connecticut?

I have one that I purchased through the same catalog. No LTC required as it is a replica of a primitive arm and not considered a "firearm."

You will need a permit to possess the caps and powder.

If you use it it will, but otherwise you don't need a LTC to carry a BP pistol anymore.

This is truly a fun thing in the law. Now.....can one carry a BP revolver (e.g. 1860 Army) while bow huntng? It's not a firearm (which are prohibited while bow hunting, regardless of LTC).

Who wants to be the test case?

[laugh]

I'll try to ask the EPO the next time I do a hunter ed course.

Len: re the 209 primers, when used for a BP arm: that's weird - an inline is not a gun, and caps for a Hawken are not ammo, but modern primers are....

Only in Mass! [rolleyes][laugh]

I have one that I purchased through the same catalog. No LTC required as it is a replica of a primitive arm and not considered a "firearm."

You will need a permit to possess the caps and powder.
I don't know if this is correct. I think there is an exception in the law for black powder weapons. Len S probably would now for sure.

Thanks for all the responses guys, I forgot to mention that I do have an FID. So what I get from this is that I can make this purchase, can i order it via catalog or do I have to go to a cabelas to pick it up. Also can it be carried loaded without an LTC? That seemed pretty fuzzy. Also it does include the removable cylinders so would I be able to store it in a vehicle as long as the cylinder is out of the weapon thus making it not loaded.

Thanks for all the responses guys, I forgot to mention that I do have an FID. So what I get from this is that I can make this purchase, can i order it via catalog or do I have to go to a cabelas to pick it up. Also can it be carried loaded without an LTC? That seemed pretty fuzzy. Also it does include the removable cylinders so would I be able to store it in a vehicle as long as the cylinder is out of the weapon thus making it not loaded.

Again, no FID or LTC required to buy/posses/or carry loaded. Whether or not Cabela's will sell it to you is their decision, nothing to do with any laws. They can legally Mail it to you . . . "will they" is another question that none of us (except if we ordered one last week) can answer. And if you drive to CT, check their new insane laws first.

In MA it is NOT considered a gun, therefore no need to do anything. I would not (however) put it loaded in the car unless it was on your person. Nothing in the cylinder and you are GTG, no need to disassemble it.

Yes, nipples uncapped or primer removed is unloaded. We store our rifles in our vehicles at night this way during deer season. Prevents condensation forming from temperature changes.
Not required, but I also put a small padlock on my case while it is in my suv.

Back
Top Bottom