Question about AR Stocks from a Newbie

Please don't flame the newbie if my question is dumb but is this adjustable stock legal here in MA?

Attachments

• 31uUmtx17-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    31uUmtx17-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 98
The answer is: no one really knows for sure.

The key word is "telescoping", which parts of that stock certainly are, but a reasonable person should understand that the intent of the law was to go after truly collapsible stocks, not finely adjustable stocks.

But good luck getting a jury full of reasonable people.

I have wondered about that type of stock myself but never found a definitive answer on it. My understanding is that it is the "macro" adjustments that are considered an evil feature because that 2" makes the rifle way more lethal, ya know! I would think that type would be fine, though, since it doesn't have a really big change in length. The stock on the Hi-Point 995TS has similar adjustment in the buttstock which is apparently legal since they are sold here. The Slidefire stock is also legal and that moves a bit.

If it is going on a pre-ban rifle yes. Like the previous posts indicate it's not clearly defined...

Another grey area. If the stock adjustment requires a tool to perform is it legal?

This is not a folding or collapsible stock.
It is adjustable, however only small adjustments can be made. I have these stock in stock and although they are expensive they are very nice.

What can we as residents of the PRM do, to take back our freedom? This is ridiculous. I'm in on the lower group buy, and am PO'd that I'll be stuck with a basic A2 stock on what will otherwise be a first-class precision instrument.

This is not a folding or collapsible stock.
It is adjustable, however only small adjustments can be made. I have these stock in stock and although they are expensive they are very nice.

Exactly! It doesn't collapse or fold. You can adjust the butt pad and cheek weld. It is a very nice stock. I want one.

Exactly! It doesn't collapse or fold. You can adjust the butt pad and cheek weld. It is a very nice stock. I want one.

The question is, IS IT LEGAL IN MA, if you already have a pistol grip and detachable magazine? Does an "adjustable" buttstock as shown, added to a gun with a pistol grip and mag well, turn the gun into an "assault weapon?"

The question is, IS IT LEGAL IN MA, if you already have a pistol grip and detachable magazine? Does an "adjustable" buttstock as shown, added to a gun with a pistol grip and mag well, turn the gun into an "assault weapon?"

You aren't adjusting the stock, you are adjusting the butt plate. I have probably, 4 butt stock pads for my AR. I have one that I like and the wife has one that she likes. Am I adjusting my stock when i switch them out? (it only takes a second or two). I'm just adding a butt plate. I've done nothing to the stock.

Last edited:
It seems logical that the "law" is to protect us from bad people who are hiding a AW under their coats and pulling them out in a crowd and un-folding or quickly pulling the stock out to length to do their deed. I can't see anyone prosecuting me for putting this stock on an AR-15 with a 20" barrel for long range target / varmint work....but I know logic may not apply here

can you add A top-folding stock to a pistol grip shotgun??? I seen a few for sale in ma but not sure if I can puy one on my mossberg 500 pistol grip

We could always make an attempt at establishing a minimum length as a replacement for the telescoping stock language. When you get down to the nuts and bolts of the AWB safety is the key word to use. An adjustable stock is to allow proper fit for different shooting positions. What is good for standing isn't good for sitting and what is good for standing or sitting isn't good for shooting prone. If you determine a credible minimum length to use as a standard with specific locations to measure from to replace the "pinned" criteria it might actually be possible to get it changed. A carbine length buffer tube on an AR is a good starting point for instance. Since you could set and pin a stock at the shortest point a carbine length tube would allow anyhow make that the new criteria. What harm comes from being able to adjust the stock longer? NONE!

While at it a really logical argument for why the MA trigger pull standard is actually unsafe might have a chance of squeaking through too...or at least could be used as a giveaway to get the stock language changed. (babysteps!) There are a lot bad things that happen to marksmanship when the trigger is too hard. The logic may be too simple for politicians to understand. Whatya suppose the gun industry and the military know about trigger pull that could persuade the MA legislature?

Staying with a fixed stock is probably best if you're in the People's Republic of Massachusetts, although I'm not a lawyer. So I would stay clear of it.

can you add A top-folding stock to a pistol grip shotgun??? I seen a few for sale in ma but not sure if I can puy one on my mossberg 500 pistol grip

I believe you can, since the Mossberg 500 is a pump-action firearm. The folding/collapsible restriction is only applicable for semi-automatic firearms, IIRC.

This stock doesn’t telescope. It is a fixed stock that tools are needed to secure the stock to an A1/A2 extention. You cannot make it shorter only slightly longer and the cheek pad moves up and down and it is larger and bulkier the all other stocks. I would think that this stock doesn’t meet the telescoping, collapsing or folding AWB stock test and would be OK.

I believe you can, since the Mossberg 500 is a pump-action firearm. The folding/collapsible restriction is only applicable for semi-automatic firearms, IIRC.

Yes. The AWB ONLY applies to semi-automatic firearms. Pump-action shotguns are not restricted in any way by the AWB.

I would think that this stock doesn’t meet the telescoping, collapsing or folding AWB stock test and would be OK.

And this is what I was talking about in my first post. Nobody ****ing knows. Not even the dumbasses that wrote the law, or the ones that enforce it. It is simply an *unknown*.

Back
Top Bottom