• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question about AR mags...

I bought four brand new 30 round Mag's that are pre-ban, I got them from Four Seasons.

How do the cops know they are pre-ban? I dont see any kind of date stamp on them or anything. Is it just a matter of me telling them they are pre-ban or can I prove it somehow?

P.S. Maybe the date is on them but I didnt see it, could it be inside or something?

Most mags do not have any date codes on them. The burden of proof is on the state to prove they are post ban.

That said, Some manufactures changed there design at certain times and could make it tricky. I would keep your recipt and also rest assured that Carl would not sell you a post ban mag.

+1 on Four Seasons, Carl is a good guy and wouldn't do that. He might wack you pretty good on the price of those mags though... [smile]

If you really are concerned as stated above keep the receipt. Four Seasons is a good shop so I figure your good to go if you got them there.

Nah I know Four Seasons has more to lose then to gain to put post ban mags in circulation. I was just wondering.

So if someone wanted they could buy a post ban mag.....if they get caught they could just say they bought it at a gun show and cant remember the seller and offer to dispose of it.

Not saying it is right; I wouldnt do it but you would think MA would just allow 30 rounds mags period............so stupid.

Well it's not QUITE that simple.

Some manufacturors weren't around prior to 1994

Some post-ban mags are date-marked or stamped 'Military or LE use only'

Some KINDS of mags like P-Mags didn't exist prior to 1994

Burden's on them and I have yet to hear of anyone being arrested based on the mags they had in their guns, but I HAVE heard of it being used as an add-in charge on arrests for other violations

My question revolves around 10+ round magazine parts, say 20's or 30's. I know you can order parts on line to replace worn springs, followers, base plates and bodies. Now, if over time, you end up replacing all the parts, say first all the internals and then finally the body (I know one of manufacturer that stamps a date on the outside of replacement bodies), how do you prove that it was all replacement parts overtime without hanging on to all the worn out parts?

how do you prove that it was all replacement parts overtime without hanging on to all the worn out parts?

Your guess is as good as anybody elses. Some people say replacing the mag body itself is too much. Others say just smash the original mag body and keep it as evidence.

I realize that the prudent thing to do is to keep all receipts and worn parts. I also realize that it's okay to replace worn parts in this state. But, do you need to have at least some part of the original magazine in the rebuild say, as you would need to on property that's not okay to build a new shed on any longer but you have one that's grandfarthered in that you can repair. Or would it be considered as new manufacturing as it was in a sense, completely created after a certain date?. But in again as in the shed, if I eventually had to replace those parts that I left, would it be considered new construction and therefore have to be torn down. Also, if it's okay to replace worn parts, where does it say I need to keep the old ones as proof. I know, as odd as it sounds, the burden of proof would be on me. Yes, the laws are very convoluted. It's one thing to allow flexability, it's another when they can work against the public.

The logic suggests the story of the old farmer who has had the same shovel for 20 years. He's replaced the handle three times and the blade twice, but it's the same shovel.

Chris

I realize that the prudent thing to do is to keep all receipts and worn parts. I also realize that it's okay to replace worn parts in this state. But, do you need to have at least some part of the original magazine in the rebuild say, as you would need to on property that's not okay to build a new shed on any longer but you have one that's grandfarthered in that you can repair. Or would it be considered as new manufacturing as it was in a sense, completely created after a certain date?. But in again as in the shed, if I eventually had to replace those parts that I left, would it be considered new construction and therefore have to be torn down. Also, if it's okay to replace worn parts, where does it say I need to keep the old ones as proof. I know, as odd as it sounds, the burden of proof would be on me. Yes, the laws are very convoluted. It's one thing to allow flexability, it's another when they can work against the public.

It doesn't. That's the problem. The law is very vague, possibly intentionally so. The advice on this thread is a melange of stuff the MA lwas/AG has actually said, BATFE rulings/comments on the Clinton era AWB and some attempts at commons sense.

I've bought pre-ban mags. from a few guys on another board that have been refinished by using that spray on stuff (I can't recall the name of it). Correctly dated and they look factory new.

I've bought other that looked like they've been in a war. A clean-up job by me with CLP and elbow grease and they look pretty good.

A new spring and follower, good to go. I do save the old followers and floorplates (I used a few Magpul Ranger floorplates), 'just in case' the need ever arises.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom