Question about an SBR in Massachusetts

I had the understanding that if a rifle was made into a sbr with a approved form 1, it becomes an NFA weapon and is no longer under the Massachusetts AWB, so folding stocks and flash hiders were a go. I was talking to someone today who said thats not so. He said the rifle can be short but must retain no side folder or flash hider. Does anyone know what the MA law is? Can you give me a link. Thanks

Well it's on a form 1, so I'd say its NFA. I'm in the same boat... it's so stupid how terribly vague these laws are. I'd like to know, too... Can I have it or not? Seems simple enough. Another question, since it would be on a Form 1, does it still need to be a preban lower to put a collapsable stock on it? Or can I use any lower? It would be on a form 1, after all...

I had the understanding that if a rifle was made into a sbr with a approved form 1, it becomes an NFA weapon and is no longer under the Massachusetts AWB, so folding stocks and flash hiders were a go. I was talking to someone today who said thats not so. He said the rifle can be short but must retain no side folder or flash hider. Does anyone know what the MA law is? Can you give me a link. Thanks

The MA ban, and the Federal ban is was copied from, both refer to "semiautomatic rifles" not just long ones. The ATF issued a ruling soon after the enactment of the Federal ban that any post ban gun registered as NFA would NOT be exempt from the AWB because its still a "semiautomatic rifle". If fact, all NFA weapons, except machine guns, where bound by the Federal ban.

You will not find a law or regulation anywhere in the MA rules referring to anything related to this specific problem. Back when the ATF's opinion actually counted, you could get an answer from them. Now that its up to the state, the best answer you'll get from someone in power is "Ask your lawyer".

--EasyD

It wasn't allowed during the federal 94 ban (per the ATF).

The MA AWB mirrors the 94 fed ban.

The AG's office, the GCAB, the EOPS, state legislature, etc has never issued any ruling/determination/definition/opinion to clarify that (and they never will until someone is arrested and charged).

Safe, short answer... no, you can't do that.

Simple solution... build it on a pre-ban lower.

Back
Top Bottom