• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question about ammo for war

I understand that our soldiers use fmj rounds in their rifles and pistols, but I have seen pictures of and read about shotguns being used in Iraq. I am just curious on what kind of ammo they're using. Buckshot? Slugs? Both? Is this regulated by any kind of treaty? Is it ammo that is available in military surplus similar to the .223?

Any kind of info about this would interest me so if you know please share.

When I was in the USMC, I carried a 12 ga Remington 870P a few times when I was on guard duty. We used 2 2/3 inch OO buck. When I served as an embassy guard with the state department, I carried the same shotgun, but we used 2 2/3 inch #4 buck. We did keep slugs in the armory, but we never loaded them for duty use.

Last edited:
Coast Guard uses buckshot and slugs. We don't have to worry about the slugs deforming as we are a law enforcement agency (can use hollowpoints too). We also carry copper sabots for use against outboard motors. They'll go right through. :D

Here is some 00 that is MIL... I have just started getting more of it.
If I can find where my door breacher rounds are,
I'll also take pictures of them.
(I hide them from myself so I do not use them..lol)

IMG_2440.jpg

Last edited:
When I was over in Iraq it was all 00 buck. Other then that we would load up with rubber buck shot. Which I have first hand knowledge that rubber buckshot will have to get removed by the doctor if shot from 12 feet away lol.

I understand that our soldiers use fmj rounds in their rifles and pistols, but I have seen pictures of and read about shotguns being used in Iraq. I am just curious on what kind of ammo they're using. Buckshot? Slugs? Both? Is this regulated by any kind of treaty? Is it ammo that is available in military surplus similar to the .223?

Any kind of info about this would interest me so if you know please share.

When I was over in Iraq it was all 00 buck. Other then that we would load up with rubber buck shot. Which I have first hand knowledge that rubber buckshot will have to get removed by the doctor if shot from 12 feet away lol.

Haha, sorry to hear that. Thanks for serving by the way. Thanks everyone for your input. Bill, nice pictures. It's too bad I cant get my hands on some of this stuff in bulk like .223 surplus ammo. But obviously it's because it is far less commonly used.

The couple times that I've been to Iraq it was 00 Buck shot. No rubber shot either only lead. My last trip over the Benelli M-4 Super 90 Shotgun was my main weapon (M9 was my sidearm).
smitty

Last edited:
Each unit has its own SOP, so I can only speak for what I saw. Riflemen in my unit had standard ball and tracer, and one mag loaded with black tips just in case. If you had an SG, it was in addittion to your rifle. The SG was for busting locks or door hinges with special rounds that are not otherwise usefull. They also had 00 buck and slugs. Usually the guy would load it with lock busters and chamber a slug, so you could just eject the slug before shooting the lock.

Back
Top Bottom