• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

question about alchohol and posessing a firearm.

Since I have been carrying, I have been very diligent to not even touch a beer while carrying.

A couple scenarios came up that i considered, but avoided until I had a definite answer.

I was carrying at summer nationals car show, after the show we went to my buddy's house. My buddy's went out and grabbed some beer with intent to just crash at my buddy's house. If i were to lock my firearm in my case I keep in my car, could I then drink at my buddy's house and stay there?

Another situation is similar, but has a different twist. If I were to leave my firearm locked in a case in my jeep, could I go to a bar and have a few beers and drive home at the end of the night? (given I was able to drive, I'm just saying a couple beers) The way this is different, is at the end of the night I would be in the jeep where the firearm is located on the ride home.

What do you guys think?

Derek

I am not 100% sure, but i believe consuming alcohol and carrying a firearm in any capacity, locked or not is a no no..

While I personally feel legally comfortable having a beer at a restaurant while I'm out with my family and carrying (...which is always in MA) as far as actual intoxication level and the control of my personal functions, I do not do so, and here's why.

Let's say that you take your spot in the restaurant with the exits in view, note the kitchen entrance on your trip through the establishment to wash up, and remain in your usual vigilant state (Condition Yellow) as the meal progresses. Everything is cool, except this time, something DOES go down, and you need to draw and fire to save a life. You do so, and drop four shots from your S&W M37 into the BG's chest... But the fifth shot hits a waitress in the neck. As a matter of course, you're questioned thoroughly, and your bill is checked - it's found that you ordered a Sam Adams to go with your meal.

How does this affect your court case? Is the prosecution going to give a rat's ass that you weren't even in the same neighborhood as "buzzed" - let alone drunk? Can you afford a lawyer good enough to exonerate you?

I know this might be overly paranoid, but hopefully it offers a different perspective that you can use in making your own personal decision.

As for being out and hitting a barbecue or something, my wife carries an LTC-A NR and doesn't drink much, so if I feel like imbibing, the carry gun gets tucked safely away into her purse. And I've seen her shoot, so I feel pretty damn comfortable with that arrangement. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom