Question about a first-time AR build

I've shot ARs for awhile and will soon be building my first one. While looking at various parts online, I keep seeing AR-Stoner brand stuff come up - what is people's opinion of that stuff?

Right now, Midway has a complete LPK on sale for $34.99 (https://www.midwayusa.com/product/239400/ar-stoner-complete-lower-receiver-parts-kit-ar-15) and Brownells has a DMPS kit on sale for $39.99 (https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...s|Special-Filters_1=Salezz1zzClearance|Rebate).

I'm trying to do a low-cost build, but is the AR-Stoner stuff worth it for $5 less? Thanks.

Their stuff is just fine. Some overpriced kits may be slightly nicer, but not by the price diffeeence better. They all work, good luck on your first build....the second won’t be far behind

There stuff will be a little 'grittier' on function, I found that putting a 1000 or harder stone to work on the mating surfaces cleans things up nicely. You are not removing material, merely polishing - no sandpaper, no file, no dremel, no power anything - just a little work with a stone. Hose it down with spray cleaner of your choice and apply a light lube.

I didn't know AR Stoner was Midway's brand - I bought a complete kit (only thing missing was the lower) some time back - it works and is MoGB (Minute of Bad Guy) out past 100 yds.

I've had to gently sand cheaper parts to get them to mate better. Always wondered if it was worth my time to just buy the better products..

The DPMS LPK will please you. They match the parts and, from experience with so many other LPKs and misc. parts, the DPMS was the best of the off-the-shelf setups I've used. Save your money and eventually move into a drop-in trigger for your rifle. IF there is one accessory that I can guarantee will improve your shooting it will be with a trigger. Almost any one will do over a standard, run-of-the-mill one from the parts kit.

Rome

Larue runs a special on their MBT-2 trigger around this time of year - I have two, best trigger I have (including the Weatherby and Gieselle)

For LPK's, I'd get one without the FCG and get a solid trigger set (or drop-in trigger) from someone else. Unless you like having to do work on the FCG to get rid of creep and grit.

For LPK's, I'd get one without the FCG and get a solid trigger set (or drop-in trigger) from someone else. Unless you like having to do work on the FCG to get rid of creep and grit.

This build uses mis-matched parts I've picked up in various places, so it'll definitely be a Frankenrifle. The LPK was the only thing I was missing. I appreciate the advice on improving the trigger, but that might be an expense for down the road. Right now, I just want to get it together for short money and see what happens. Like Cabinetman suggested too, I'll start upgrading parts as I discover where the biggest deficiencies are. Thanks again.

A parts kits basically a parts kit, the triggers wont be great but you spend so much on the rest of the AR is ok to wait a while to get a geiselle trigger later.

e: So far I used a CMMG one, a white oak one without a trigger and a 3rd one I don't remember (possibly spikes). From my experience all the components have been solid.

The DPMS LPK will please you. They match the parts and, from experience with so many other LPKs and misc. parts, the DPMS was the best of the off-the-shelf setups I've used.
i would agree with this. i always used the daniel defense lpk but got stuck during the last parts shortage a couple of years ago and was forced to buy a few dpms kits. damn they were a pleasant surprise. a comment often heard by people i've let shoot the rifles is how crisp and clean the trigger breaks and how consistent they are. next is they want to know who did the trigger work. who knew?

Back
Top Bottom