• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

question about a ccw in RI

PAM

i was wondering if anyone knew the anwser to this.

My husband is a LT. for a security company in RI. He has a carrying license in RI. THis morning his first job was to accompany a man to a methadone clinic because the man was afraid of somoeone there I guess. Anyways he was told by a counselor that even though he was in uniform and working that he could not bring his weapon into the faciality because they were considered a pharmacy and that you cannot bring a weapon into a pharmacy even if you are on a detail. I cannot find anything about this so has anyone heard anything like that and can a place of business tell you that you cannot come in if you are on the job?

thanks[smile]

The only thing I have found that even mentions guns and medicine was this
http://www.rilin.state.ri.us/statutes/title11/11-47/11-47-48.htm

§ 11-47-48 Report of gunshot wounds. – Every physician attending or treating a case of bullet wound, gunshot wound, powder burn, or any other injury arising from or caused by the discharge of a gun, pistol, or other firearm, or whenever any case is treated in a hospital, sanitarium, dispensary, or other institution the person in charge of it, shall report the case at once to the police authorities of the town or city where the physician, hospital, sanitarium, dispensary or institution is located. This section shall not apply to wounds, burns, or injuries received by any member of the armed forces of the United States or of this state while engaged in the actual performance of duty. Whoever violates any provision of this section shall be punished by a fine of not less than fifty dollars ($50.00) nor more than one hundred dollars ($100).

But if it is a law I am sure somebody here will know about it.

It may be, but I strongly suspect that it's another case of someone dreaming up an ad hoc explanation why their policy isn't just a preference on their part, but is mandated by and carries the full weight of the law.

Ken

It may be, but I strongly suspect that it's another case of someone dreaming up an ad hoc explanation why their policy isn't just a preference on their part, but is mandated by and carries the full weight of the law.

There is a LOT of that going around....

RIGL 11-47

I have read RIGL 11-47 in its entirety, and I have not found anything on that note. If you have a permit, there are actually very few places you CAN'T carry. But, nothing can stop private persons/firms from banning firearms on their property

Plumber is correct. There is no law that prevents carry in a pharmacy but private property owners have the right to restrict carry

"cannot bring a weapon into a pharmacy even if you are on a detail" private security do not have police powers and have the same rights and restrictions as all licensed private citizens

Back
Top Bottom