• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question about 650 for .223 Case Prep and back.

dcmdon

NES Member
Hey all. I've got some questions for those who use a 650 for .223 case prep and reloading.

I'm an experienced reloader, I've reloaded for 20+ years and have reloaded rifle cartridges for about 10 years.
The newness here is that while I've made pistol cartridges in bulk since day one, I've always CRAFTED my rifle cartridges.

I'm actually pretty obsessive, so going to a high speed process is a bit different for me. Ha.

I've got my 650 set up with one tool head that decaps, another full length resizes, the next trims to length.
The case feeder is set up to feed .223.
So all I have to do is pull the handle and out pops a sized, deprimed, trimmed case.

I've also got another 650 set up for 9mm.

First question - which press will be easier to switch to actually reloading .223.

The .223 case prep press will need - swage it removed and replaced with small primer system, tool head swap
The 9mm press will need - shell plate swap, tool head swap, case feed plate swap, case feed feeder flip.

As I'm writing this, I'm realizing that it seems obvious that switching the case prep press over to reload will be easier. But any input is appreciated.

Second quesion - to anyone else doing this, are there any tricks or "gotchas" that I need to look out for?

Anyone using a case feeder for reloading rifle cartridges, what kind of LUBE are you using?

Thanks,

Don

Last edited:
Its personal preference for which press to use for your reason in your post. I would switch over the 9mm press to finnish off the 223. My reasoning would be that it’s already set up for small primers, and won’t have any crud from trimming cases on the other press. The conversion kit is quick and easy to change.

Be aware that using a swager on the press will void the Dillon warranty and supposedly they can tell by where and the way it breaks.

Im just getting set up for loading 223 and 6.5 Creedmoor on my 650. I decided to do OFF press trimming since I only have the one press and the on press trimmer is expensive. I decided to go with the Trim-It II with different bearings for the different calibers.

My plan is to feed with case feeder to
Toolhead 1- deprime, full length size.
Swage on Super Swage 600.
Toolhead 2- prime, powder, seat bullet, crimp.

Last edited:
The 650 is designed to be a residential use item where the 1050 is a commercial grade press. I’m looking for the info now. I’ll be happy to be wrong but wouldn’t want you to find out the hard way.
Swaging on the press puts added pressure on the shell plate area or something like that.

Last edited:
Wait......Dillon sells an on press case trimmer and swager but USE of it on a press will void the warranty?

Is that true?
Not sure on the case trimmer, but yes, the swager will void warranty. But the swager isn't made by them.

OP: you should just drop $1,600 on a new Dillon CP 2000 prep machine.

Wait......Dillon sells an on press case trimmer and swager but USE of it on a press will void the warranty?

Is that true?
The swager is after market.
The case trimmer doesn't void anything.

Not sure on the case trimmer, but yes, the swager will void warranty. But the swager isn't made by them.
OP: you should just drop $1,600 on a new Dillon CP 2000 prep machine.

Not likely. If you look at the CP2000, you actually end up well over $2000 by the time you are done.

In a perfect world, I'd reload on an RL1100 and leave the 650 for case prep, minus swaging. You can swage on the 1100 when you are loading.

Back
Top Bottom