• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question About .27 Caliber Concrete Nailer

A friend of mine, who works for a home remodeling business based out of Salem, NH, just sent me a text message pertaining to the legality of having a .27 caliber contrete nailer in his truck when he goes into MA for jobs. He was told today by an electrician that he needed to have a license to carry such a tool in his truck when entering the state. A quick search online revealed nothing on this subject, so I turn to you guys for an answer on this.

Is there any truth to the electrician's claim?

IIRC that's crap. I think there is an exemption in MGL for powder tools. I just know you can go into any home depot in MA and buy one without an FID...

-Mike

there is some sort of license application (from the manufacturer, not the state) in the package. Not one to to read directions i tossed it.

But yep, free to buy the loads, nails and the guns.

It does not fire a projectile to do harm so it's not considered ammunition (unlike pepper spray). The load fires a piston which hits the nail and drives it home.

I love mine. Freaks you out when you stick 3" of steel into solid concrete.

I've asked a few people this question over the years and no one has been able to give me a straight answer. It's always something like" I'll get back to you on that ", but no one has.

We sell them at my work as do all our competitors. We sell Ramset .25 cal in boxes of singles, 10rd strips & 10rd rings.

It never dawned on me to ask NES. I'd love to know if this is even covered by any Mass Law.

I the mid 80's there was sign above the case with the powder actuated tools in Town Paint and Supply in Natick stating that an FID or Powder Actuated Tools License was required for purchase, so there may have been some law in the past about this - or at least the store manager thought there was one.

Here's the exemption...

M.G.L. c.140 s.129C

No person, other than a licensed dealer or one who has been issued a license to carry a pistol or revolver or an exempt person as hereinafter described, shall own or possess any firearm, rifle, shotgun or ammunition unless he has been issued a firearm identification card by the licensing authority pursuant to the provisions of section one hundred and twenty-nine B.

>snip<

The provisions of this section shall not apply to the following exempted persons and uses:

(a) Any device used exclusively for signalling or distress use and required or recommended by the United States Coast Guard or the Interstate Commerce Commission, or for the firing of stud cartridges, explosive rivets or similar industrial ammunition;

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-129c.htm

Last edited:
Could not find anything inthe MGL. But there is a federal law (OSHA) that says that to posess/utilize one on a jobsite you must be licensed for the tool by the manufacturer. Licening is simple as taking the test online http://www.ramset.com/ramtest/a001_begin.html
Mainly about safe operation and disposal of the cartridges.

I had a Hilti Rep come to one of my job sites years ago. He gave a quick 5 minute class to me and my guys and then gave us a license for the guns. He told us that we were required to have a license in order to use the tools.

Back
Top Bottom