• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question 8 mental health

My girlfriend is in her mid 20's and is completely normal, though when she was 13 tried to commit suicide and was put in a hospital for 3 days because of it.

On question 8 which asks specifically "have you been confined to an institution for mental illness, should she answer yes and explain or deny it since it was so long ago and holds no value as far as she is concerned today?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Which part of that question do you not understand ?

The "Confined" part or the "Mental Illness" part ?

Explain or deny, she's rolling the dice and needs to seek the council of a firearms attorney.

Also, this could be God's way of telling you to find another girlfriend.

Which part of that question do you not understand ?

The "Confined" part or the "Mental Illness" part ?

Explain or deny, she's rolling the dice and needs to seek the council of a firearms attorney.

Also, this could be God's way of telling you to find another girlfriend.

That's the non-sugar coated answer.

haha, shes great, and wants to take part in her 2nd amendment rights, its not that we dont understand the question so much as it was a short stay, and the ambulance brought her there. being she was so young and it was so short a stay, we dont know if it will be on record or worth bringing up on the app. she is applying in a green town and its a very simple explanation and she has very good references. i told her she should be honest about it, but second guessed myself and posted here for further advice.

This is tricky.

Relevant facts:

1. It depends on what the definition of "confined" is. For an adult, the answer would be fairly clear - are you free to leave of your own volition. For a minor, it gets tricky. A credible argument could be made that it is not "confinement" if the checkin was voluntary on the part of the legal guardian, and the guardian had the legal ability to withdraw the patient at any time. On the other hand, as a minor, she was probably not free to leave on her own (but, I doubt the term "confined" would be used if she was in the hospital recovering from tonsil surgery and not permitted to leave of her own volition).

2. On the other hand, the licensing authority may not see it that way and, if the history is discovered, could result in a denial for lying on the application.

An office consult with Cohen, Langer or Guida would definitely be in order and not all that expensive. The $$ kicks in if an attorney actively assists, but a half hour of talk is about the price of the LTC application.

We are in a green town, my ltc has been approved and should be in this week. As soon as its in, I'll be going green:D

Then you already know the issuing officer.
Make an appointment for you and your girl to have a talk with him/her.
Tell them it's a private matter, then be honest. You should get the straight dope from the officer if he's a good one.
A little leg-work, and straight talk may in the least save you; The app fee, the wait, the anguish if rejected.

Good luck!
~Matt

So this matter would be handled at the town level and then if approved go to the state for criminal record checks and etc?

If this was in MA when it happened the cops will see it and even though she wasn't confined, they will demand she get the doctors note.

Back
Top Bottom