Question 10: LTC?

So I feel like I got conflicting info between 2 diff lawyers and my call with the PD licensing officer. I have 0 convictions. Do I list what the arrest was For and then the outcome? Or what the charge was and then the outcome? I want to be forthcoming but the arrest doesn’t match the charge on one item. Either way it got dismissed but I don’t want to be DQ’d over answering wrong.

So I feel like I got conflicting info between 2 diff lawyers and my call with the PD licensing officer. I have 0 convictions. Do I list what the arrest was For and then the outcome? Or what the charge was and then the outcome? I want to be forthcoming but the arrest doesn’t match the charge on one item. Either way it got dismissed but I don’t want to be DQ’d over answering wrong.

instead of asking the advice you should be hiring one of them. Whichever one is an actual gun lawyer and not a general lawyer who sometimes does gun stuff.

instead of asking the advice you should be hiring one of them. Whichever one is an actual gun lawyer and not a general lawyer who sometimes does gun stuff.
I did. I paid consulting for both. They’re in disagreement with What the licensing officer said. They told me charges. Officer said arrests.

Not sure you need a lawyer for this, just disclose everything. Be honest and open. They can see it all, even if you were told it was scrubbed.
This is the right answer. Save your money! Get a copy of the actual Docket Sheet from the Court Clerk's office (it shouldn't cost you more than $1-2) and provide a copy of your copy to the PD with your application. Q10 is really only an "honesty test", so be honest and since you don't have any DQs, you'll be fine.

Did they change the form, a quick search got me to a MA gov sight and these are questions 9 and 10
9. Have you ever been convicted as an adult or adjudicated a youthful offender or delinquent child
in any state or federal jurisdiction?  YES  NO
10. Are you now, or have you ever been the subject of a restraining order issued pursuant to M.G.L. c. 209A,
or a similar order issued by another jurisdiction?

I don't see the confusion

Did they change the form, a quick search got me to a MA gov sight and these are questions 9 and 10
9. Have you ever been convicted as an adult or adjudicated a youthful offender or delinquent child
in any state or federal jurisdiction?  YES  NO
10. Are you now, or have you ever been the subject of a restraining order issued pursuant to M.G.L. c. 209A,
or a similar order issued by another jurisdiction?

I don't see the confusion
My towns form is different. Question 10 is have you ever appeared in court as a defendant?

The question is now #4 (see below)

Short form:
  • Some PDs will use arrests without convictions against you. The district court will usually side with the chief if you appeal said denial. Yes, I am familiar with cases and have seen this happen.

• Even more will deny for omitting info on question #4, and the chances of them finding out are the same as Crockadile Dundee getting out of that bar with his crockskin jacket ("better than average").

• How to handle the prospect of denial for a non-conviction is why a consult with Guida, Langer or another FIREARMS attorney is a worthy investment. Don't call and pump for free info - that will get a "leech alert" out on you in the legal community; book an office appointment or online consult/phone call; come with questions and if you can the docket sheet LenS referred to, and pay for the consult. At the rate things are going that's about the cost of one box of primers or a couple boxes of ammo.

• Expungement in some states legally allows you to answer "no", however, good f'in luck getting a MA PD to accept the concept of "legal fiction" even though it is enshrined in law.

1600835871495.png

Last edited:

Short form:
  • Some PDs will use arrests without convictions against you. The district court will usually side with the chief if you appeal said denial. Yes, I am familiar with cases and have seen this happen.
I'm more than familiar.
Suitability is the boot they place on your neck as they smile and say it's for your own good.

Short form:

• Even more will deny for omitting info on question #4, and the chances of them finding out are the same as Crockadile Dundee getting out of that bar with his crockskin jacket ("better than average").

• How to handle the prospect of denial for a non-conviction is why a consult with Guida, Langer or another FIREARMS attorney is a worthy investment. Don't call and pump for free info - that will get a "leech alert" out on you in the legal community; book an office appointment or online consult/phone call; come with questions and if you can the docket sheet LenS referred to, and pay for the consult. At the rate things are going that's about the cost of one box of primers or a couple boxes of ammo.

• Expungement in some states legally allows you to answer "no", however, good f'in luck getting a MA PD to accept the concept of "legal fiction" even though it is enshrined in law.

View attachment 392640
Yah I listed everything with the outcome. No convictions. Dropped off the paperwork this AM and got my prints/photo done same day. Now I wait.

That form was changed years ago. What town, and do they still issue the "Indefinite unless suspended or revoked" FIDs? [laugh]

Len - does the town have to use the current form?
Idk. I asked and he said the one I had was fine haha the one on the FRB site just had license to carry as an option... the one on the town site had Class A LTC or Class B lTC to choose from

Idk. I asked and he said the one I had was fine haha the one on the FRB site just had license to carry as an option... the one on the town site had Class A LTC or Class B lTC to choose from

Yeah....the Class B no longer exists for new issuance, and most of the ones that were issued, are running down (or done).

What town?

The FID remark was a joke - all of those "Lifetime" FIDs were voided in 1998.

Then that form is at least 5 years old (Class B was no longer issued after the 2014 law changed, effective 1/1/2015).

They are supposed to use the latest forms, but most PDs don't update things until it is called to their attention. BTDT and sent the latest forms to our PD clerk once and told her the URL the other time.

After how many years? Jeez...if they enter it into the computer (I've never seen it done), will they fill the wrong info in, if the app's and screen's fields don't match?

I know that they don't keep up with current events. My younger son had to "prove" that the cost was $25 for a <18 FID.... [rolleyes]

After how many years? Jeez...if they enter it into the computer (I've never seen it done), will they fill the wrong info in, if the app's and screen's fields don't match?

I know that they don't keep up with current events. My younger son had to "prove" that the cost was $25 for a <18 FID.... [rolleyes]
FRB allegedly revised the form to line up with the online MIRCS system. So using an old form where questions are moved around can lead to errors on data entry. All we peons can do is use the right form, what the PD does after that . . . MAKE SURE TO READ IT BEFORE SIGNING IT. I found numerous errors on my PD's printout and did pen & ink changes (per request of clerk) before signing it.

I did, he had a 4-ish month back order of clients
My brother called his office and explained his situation to the "clerk". He got a call back the next day and was told guida would take him as a client. $950 retainer up front and would almost guarantee the end result of an unrestricted LTC and he has a 6 year old DWI in nh. Yes it'll take a few months. So......do you want fast and "iffy" results.....or wait a little while and have good results?

My brother called his office and explained his situation to the "clerk". He got a call back the next day and was told guida would take him as a client. $950 retainer up front and would almost guarantee the end result of an unrestricted LTC and he has a 6 year old DWI in nh. Yes it'll take a few months. So......do you want fast and "iffy" results.....or wait a little while and have good results?

Looks like he went with fast and iffy.....

Looks like he went with fast and iffy.....
It is NOT iffy. DWI in NH is not a misdefelony, so it isn't a DQ. Provide all the info, be honest and you're very unlikely to be denied in those cases. It is a rare LEO who doesn't drink or know someone who has a few too many.

I did months of research on this topic due to several run ins in my college days. I prepared application on my own after properly learning the correct way.

PM me if needed.

Last edited:
This is the right answer. Save your money! Get a copy of the actual Docket Sheet from the Court Clerk's office (it shouldn't cost you more than $1-2) and provide a copy of your copy to the PD with your application. Q10 is really only an "honesty test", so be honest and since you don't have any DQs, you'll be fine.

For the question: simply write “see attached“( I denoted which page as well)

staple each docket to the front of a printed document explaining in your words the circumstances of the arrest and outcome.

Do this for each.

Also consider a cover letter regarding your maturity /responsibility these days.

For the question: simply write “see attached“( I denoted which page as well)

staple each docket to the front of a printed document explaining in your words the circumstances of the arrest and outcome.

Do this for each.

Also consider a cover letter regarding your maturity /responsibility these days.
You get bonus points for managing to run the stapler without leaving
bloodstains on the completed forms.

ETA:
The above is a gen-u-wine Pro-Tip.
I shoulda said so in the first place.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom