Quality Red Dot Sight for AR Platform

Both eyes open give a rather easy focus with sight picture on my holographic with zero parallax. It’s natural to raise, point, and shoot with these despite eye issues. Not for long distance of course but within 50 yards.
Add a 3X flip magnifier and it’s best of both worlds.

I have Eotech XPS3 and a Eotech 3x flip mag on my Tavor, an Aimpoint T2 on my Scorpion SBR, and an Elcan Specter DR 1-4x on my BCM. In the market for a LPVO for my SL8 G36 conversion. Will probably go with the Trijicon 1-8x I can’t say I have a favorite currently, they all work well, though I’m partial to the holos and my Eotechs. Battery length on the Aimpoint is great. Elcan is built like a tank and weighs as much. I will likely buy another Eotech for my next acquisition, an HK MR556 as other than battery life, seems to be the most balanced and has a great reticle.

I have a Trijicon RMR on my G17. Great for a handgun or as a backup optic on a long gun, but it wouldn’t be my go to as a primary optic for a rifle.

All are or will be co-witnessed with BUIS except the G36/LPVO.

Yes, I also have an Aimpoint 3x magnifier on a flip mount on my AR.

I have a 1-6 Vortex LPVO on a different gun but I don’t think that is a particularly good substitute for a red dot. It is MUCH heavier than a red dot and much harder to use on 1 power due to eye relief.

No joke, I put one of mine on a .458 socom for shits and grins and it's alive and well. I assume I'll eventually kill it but for range toy duty $9 (or was it $7?) isn't much of a loss.
HAH! What better optic to top off my PovertyPoverty Pony build? I doubt anyone here has built an AR for less. $199+ $10 shipping for the build kit, $27 for the Anderson lower (2A Tactical) PLUS $6 for the Pinty!!!!! A whopping $240povertypony.jpg out the door...chambered in .223 Wylde. I love Durkin Tactical.

HAH! What better optic to top off my PovertyPoverty Pony build? I doubt anyone here has built an AR for less. $199+ $10 shipping for the build kit, $27 for the Anderson lower (2A Tactical) PLUS $6 for the Pinty!!!!! A whopping $240View attachment 711786 out the door...chambered in .223 Wylde. I love Durkin Tactical.
Damn! Nope, I don't think that cost can be beat. I've heard a couple people had dimensional issues with Andersons at one point, but they have been great for me and the Mrs. Their structural integrity is as good as any other standard forged lower. Pinty is mandatory for such a build.

Either eotech or aimpoint. Pick whichever battery/reticle you prefer.

I put eotechs on things I use frequently and aimpoints on things I’d use to wander the wastelands if shtf just because of battery life.

Somebody mentioned holographic is better for astigmatism? What says the hive mind?

BS. I’ve looked through one Eotech and that’s all I needed of that fuzzy nonsense. I’ll deal with my egg-shaped red dots before I’ll go holographic. Ewww

Another plug for Holosun, hard to beat the performance for the money.

If it works for you. On my Aimpoint rigs running a high 1.93 LEAP mount. Because I couldn’t cowitness. I changed over to Magpul offset buis. They tuck in well imo. Worth a look if you decide the high mount red dot is comfortable for you and still want buis.

Attachments

• 78D37440-2641-472B-A2A6-36AD89BD9C27.jpeg
    78D37440-2641-472B-A2A6-36AD89BD9C27.jpeg
    1,001.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 2824A277-284B-4F4E-8EC0-452B65B62C42.jpeg
    2824A277-284B-4F4E-8EC0-452B65B62C42.jpeg
    902.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 4104FDA2-6D1D-484D-92D1-DB9FDA5D938A.jpeg
    4104FDA2-6D1D-484D-92D1-DB9FDA5D938A.jpeg
    805.8 KB · Views: 21
i found a miracle solution for astigmatism red dot distortion. i have a prescription glasses for astigmatism correction with very slight '-' correction as well - and that pair got a coating that changes tint under UV rays. forgot that is a proper name for it.
so, somehow, this shit totally fixes the issue of red dot turning into an LCD inspired donut
This is the first I've heard of this. Is this for real?

This is the first I've heard of this. Is this for real?
works for the pair i got, your milage may vary. try it. i think it is just a generic tinted uv coating - they get darker in the sun.
i noticed it only by an occasion, as i dropped them into a range bag.

works for the pair i got, your milage may vary. try it. i think it is just a generic tinted uv coating - they get darker in the sun.
i noticed it only by an occasion, as i dropped them into a range bag.

I wonder if that is from polarized glasses, rather than UV coating. I've got a set of photosensitive shooting glasses, and haven't seen any improvement in red dot astigmatism fuzziness with those. Of course those are green, so perhaps color matters as well.

Interesting, in any case. I habitually avoid polarized lenses, but it's a habit from a previous career where some aircraft displays would disappear through polarization. No reason to do that now. Might have to hit the Walmart sunglass rack and get some cheap examples to try out.

I wonder if that is from polarized glasses, rather than UV coating. I've got a set of photosensitive shooting glasses, and haven't seen any improvement in red dot astigmatism fuzziness with those. Of course those are green, so perhaps color matters as well.

Interesting, in any case. I habitually avoid polarized lenses, but it's a habit from a previous career where some aircraft displays would disappear through polarization. No reason to do that now. Might have to hit the Walmart sunglass rack and get some cheap examples to try out.
none of my sunglasses does it - only that one prescription pair. dunno. i do not think they are polarized.
i am not making this up, it is real. :)

Somebody mentioned holographic is better for astigmatism? What says the hive mind?
Different red dots results vary with my asigmatism. My Aimpoints are fine. I couldn’t stand my Trijicon MRO. The MRO is how I found out I hd an astigmatism. But yes, you can get an Eotech XPS2-1 and its literally a holo red dot, not the circle dot reticle of the XPS2-0. Its also the most crisp dot you’ll see given its a holo and not a traditional red dot.

Add a 3X flip magnifier and it’s best of both worlds.

I have Eotech XPS3 and a Eotech 3x flip mag on my Tavor, an Aimpoint T2 on my Scorpion SBR, and an Elcan Specter DR 1-4x on my BCM. In the market for a LPVO for my SL8 G36 conversion. Will probably go with the Trijicon 1-8x I can’t say I have a favorite currently, they all work well, though I’m partial to the holos and my Eotechs. Battery length on the Aimpoint is great. Elcan is built like a tank and weighs as much. I will likely buy another Eotech for my next acquisition, an HK MR556 as other than battery life, seems to be the most balanced and has a great reticle.

I have a Trijicon RMR on my G17. Great for a handgun or as a backup optic on a long gun, but it wouldn’t be my go to as a primary optic for a rifle.

All are or will be co-witnessed with BUIS except the G36/LPVO.
I have Trijicon Accupower and Credo 1-8s in Larue and Geissele mounts. They’re heavy for an AR. I’d keep those on 308 rifles. The Credo 1-6x FFP and Accupoint TR25 1-6x mildot are awesome however.

HAH! What better optic to top off my PovertyPoverty Pony build? I doubt anyone here has built an AR for less. $199+ $10 shipping for the build kit, $27 for the Anderson lower (2A Tactical) PLUS $6 for the Pinty!!!!! A whopping $240
And it probably shoots just as good as a $2000 model. (Very well done btw)

HAH! What better optic to top off my PovertyPoverty Pony build? I doubt anyone here has built an AR for less. $199+ $10 shipping for the build kit, $27 for the Anderson lower (2A Tactical) PLUS $6 for the Pinty!!!!! A whopping $240View attachment 711786 out the door...chambered in .223 Wylde. I love Durkin Tactical.
Why is the sight sitting so low? How do you hold the rifle and see thru it lol

I’m impressed with these. I have 3 I think. I love how they come with all the different riser mount heights in the box so you can find what works best for you.
I got 2, I might get another, I like the different mounting options as well but went with the one in my pic, I like it a little higher at 1.93 but cannot stand the look of the canted factory mounts so I spent the extra $80.on an ADM QD mount, not necessary but for the looks alone.

It's a little tank of a mount, another thing I bought was the sun shield for like $30 off of PA, it holds zero and I love the etched reticle, nice field of view and eye relief, I got no problems hitting steel from a 100 yards out

Back
Top Bottom