Quality or Quantity?

Same way for my as well. As I got older my tastes became more refined and quality definitely started to be a primary driver. Hell I still can't believe that I've paid more for quality glass then I did for the rifle I put it on.

You did it the right way. [wink]

If you shoot often, the cost of the gun is the least costly part of shooting :)
Anyway, buy nice stuff. Plus, nice stuff is always easy to sell, and that goes for any hobby.

Agree on both parts. [thumbsup]

Guns are like guitars. You can buy the cheap ones to repair, cleanup, and sell to get the next best. I’ve done this for years and have some stupid expensive acoustics. For guns I like that they go bang. Thats good enough for me for now. I don't have the desire for higher end guns like I do guitars. Guns are tools, Guitars are magic. If only money grew on trees.

The problem with buying "quality" expensive guns is that they rarely leave the safe. Most folks aren't willing to shoot their $2k guns in the freezing rain and drop their $100 mags in mud.

I disagree, it depends on the mentality of the person that owns them. I also think that's a bad example because most people are going to say "f*** that noise" not because they're
concerned about hurting their guns but because they don't want to be standing in freezing rain shooting. [laugh]

-Mike

Quality...as I've gotten older. I have another issue...keeping falling in and out of love with milsurps. Currently in love again.
Lol same here. Been on a bit of a buying spree lately. (by my standards at least) Literally talking out loud to myself "WTF are you doing??" Just bid on something again last night saying just that exact phrase (again) and was relieved when someone out bid me. [laugh]

I get the bug, it lasts for a while then it passes but always comes back again. Logging on to my bank account helps as does punching numbers into one of those budgeting apps and realizing how much money Im bleeding away each month.

I disagree, it depends on the mentality of the person that owns them. I also think that's a bad example because most people are going to say "f*** that noise" not because they're
concerned about hurting their guns but because they don't want to be standing in freezing rain shooting. [laugh]

-Mike

We have two STIs, a Marauder and an Apeiro. Not sure why I have the Apeiro; Oh ya, now I remember, my wife wanted it. Those guns get used every time we are at the range. We even pretend we know what we are doing in the action pit shooting steel and cardboard, dropping those overpriced mags in the mud as we clumsily do mag changes. I even keep spare mag parts around so I can fix them as we break them :)

Quality - I'm especially a sucker for nice wood and nice engravings. And I hunt hard with them too. I'd much rather sit freeze my ass off, waiting for a deer with a nice gun as company.

Merkel 147EL

original.jpg

original.jpg

Mauser M03 switch barrel

original.jpg

original.jpg

I guess I need more friends! Although many of my friends already have 1-2 ARs of their own or analogs. I've never gotten into the 224 Valk, 300 BLK, Estoteric Caliber X, etc. game.

Even two per gas system/barrel length (5.56) that puts you at 6-8 of them.

More power to those that want to do it, I think three's enough for me, a "beater," a "nice one" and my M16A1 clone. Maybe one more someday as a backup (to the "nice one") or an A2 clone to kind of "round out the collection." Rather than 6 more ARs I'd rather get an AUG or something, I like the variety [smile]

No different than all the hardos with 10+ Glocks who will rationalize that they serve different purposes and the longer/shorter grip and longer/shorter barrel combo is amazing. I only have six Glocks, so I'm not like these other weirdos.

Quality. I hate it when my friends buy guns because they are “cheap”.

Quality comes at a price.

But look at the brand, reputation, workmanship etc and not just the price.

I don't care about looks (which explains how I ended up owning a few Glocks). There's 3 things that are important to me when it comes to guns: reliability, ruggedness, and accuracy. Unfortunately to combine these three requirements means your build will always end up costing more than you first anticipated.
I guess it's a mindset thing. I don't do range toys. Actually, I believe that you're missing the point of a firearm if you consider your guns range toys. But that's beside the point.
As far as having any guns to share with others if SHTF... Well, I don't like people, with very few exceptions. Those few exceptions are my "squad", and I can assure you that every single one of those guys is as well, or better armed than i am. The rest of the world? Burn baby, burn. Which means I don't need a stash to distribute to people who are to cheap/stupid to prepare. Actually I plan on eating them after taking their stuff when shit gets real.

The problem with buying "quality" expensive guns is that they rarely leave the safe. Most folks aren't willing to shoot their $2k guns in the freezing rain and drop their $100 mags in mud.

I think this is the difference between shooters and collector. A shooter will have no issue shooting their expensive gun in bad conditions if its the best tool for the job

-Mike

I tend to buy quality and have some cheaper stuff as backup. I also tend to be a collector. Someday though I will have too many and thin the herd by trading or selling multiple for one of very high quality.

I hunt alot, I tend to not use my expensive or irreplaceable guns on
crappy days. I end up using cheaper or plastic stock easy to clean guns.
That’s probably gay, but my good wood and bluing guns stays in good shape.

That said , as I get older I care less about it and tend to buy quality more, and use quality more. I also get sick of safe queens that I think I will never use.

The thing with guns are there are cheap ass guns that work, and will last a lifetime. Like a Benelli Nova, Ruger Americans, etc. So paying more isnt necessarily getting something more reliable or accurate.

Last edited:
I think that's how A lot of us evolve. I haven't been shooting that long. But I think when you first start you want one of every category,To fill up the safe. Once you accomplish that you can start to focus on the nicer guns.
I'm still not above buying a cheap gun. just bought a Wrangler because it was filling A void I didn't have. But all in all I'd rather quality over quantity now.

Last edited:
When you’re a new shooter you have no idea what makes a better gun better, so it literally makes zero sense to buy one.

As you get more experience and learn what a fantastic trigger feels kind and why really good sights make a difference and what grip angle works best for you and how to shoulder a shotgun properly, you are able to buy more expensive (better) guns without wasting your money.

i.e.: without a lot of luck, a new shooter isn’t likely to end up with a “forever gun”

You forgot to add "pre-ban" or "pre-maura"
One of those two key phrases easily ups the value.

Those two key phrases may up the "price" in MA or other restricted states but they are still just an AR and in non ban states they really hold no more value than the next one.

You beat me by a second or two milktree...😀

-Mike

Ha, I’m just the opposite. I enjoy shooting in bad weather occasionally. What I don’t like is crowds at the range.

Fixed it for you
Those two key phrases may up the "price" in MA or other restricted states but they are still just an AR and in non ban states they really hold no more value than the next one.

You beat me by a second or two milktree...😀

I'll be selling high capacity, pre-ban, pre-maura, custom,rare in mass lead ingots in the spring.
Should fetch me 12 bucks a pound.

Problem with this thread is “nice” or “quality” mean different things to different people. Are we talking hand made museum stuff or to hell and back always work with a rattle can paint job with a few rattling parts that don’t affect functionality. Or are we just talking $ spent.

Back
Top Bottom