Quality or Quantity?

I love them all. I especially love getting a cheap "good find" firearm and outshooting the x10 cost firearms. I have a Stoeger over/under (275) that goes bang every time and breaks clays all day if I do my job, and a Savage/Anshutz 22 (250) that shoots just as well as any other target rifle. I am especially drawn to the weird and unusual ones, and overall I have found the collection to have appreciated over time at a rate superior to the big $$ ones.

I think that's how A lot of us evolve. I haven't been shooting that long. But I think when you first start you want one of every category,To fill up the safe. Once you accomplish that you can start to focus on the nicer guns.
I'm still not above buying a cheap gun. just bought a Wrangler because it was filling A void I didn't have. But all in all I'd rather quality over quantity now.

Really sums it up.

As has been said about tattoos, hookers, and a variety of other commodities, "a good gun ain't cheap and a cheap gun ain't good".
Target shooting (I don't hunt) is expensive enough (ammunition, targets, gun club membership) that if I'm going to do this I might as well use a good quality gun and enjoy myself.
Right now my gun of choice is a CZ Shadow 2. Expensive but worth it.

Image result for why not both gif

I have what I need in quantity, it's all quality stuff.
I also have stuff that is quality. Its stuff that I like, I think its interesting from a mechanical and/or historical perspective and/or its fun to shoot. I have this stuff in quantity.

When I first started shooting I balked at the exorbitant prices of some handguns and rifles. “Who in their right mind could justify spending that much on a gun?!,” I thought. Well, apparently this guy about 12 years later.

I have watched my collection slowly transform from inexpensive, functional, ‘quantity’ guns into guns that are better quality that I find more pleasure in shooting.

I just bought a shotgun that cost about 6 times what I paid for my first shotgun. Old self would have given me a dope slap.

I am not a gun snob, well at least I don’t think I am, but I would rather save up and buy a really nice quality gun vs. having multiple mediocre guns for the same cost.
What say you?
Yup I'm the same way. It took me a few years after first getting my LTC to realize I should save up for better quality guns. It also helps that I have an "okay" paying job and no debt aside from my house mortgage. When I first got my LTC I was in college and didn't have much free money.

And when I say quality, I'm not buying $3,000+ 1911s or rifles. I'm not rich by any means [laugh]
I think the most expensive gun I own is my Dan Wesson PM9, cajunized CZ Shadow 2, or my Arsenal SAM7 AK.

Last edited:
One thing I still kinda cheap out on is with scopes/red dots on my range toys. Except for my hunting rifle I splurged and got a nice Leupold VX3i.

I don't shoot past 120 yards so I don't feel the need to spend $500+ on a scope.

One thing I still kinda cheap out on is with scopes/red dots on my range toys. Except for my hunting rifle I splurged and got a nice Leupold VX3i.

I don't shoot past 120 yards so I don't feel the need to spend $500+ on a scope.

Even at that range while you don't have to spend $500 there's an enormous difference between the NCStar/Millet/Whatever ChineseOpticsGuy $50-100 Trash VS stuff like Nikon, etc. I'll never own another bolt rifle with that trash on it again. [laugh] I once owned a Savage FP-10, it was a great rifle... completely ruined by the shit glass that someone had put on it. I think the original owner had a real scope but when he dumped the gun he put a millet or something on it so it would sell faster on consignment. I could tell it was swapped out because the anchors werent even tight on the damned thing and I must've wasted like $10 worth of 308 (in 2005 308 prices lol) just to zero the damned thing, only to find out the whole scope was moving because the prick didn't tighten it down. [laugh] I literally ended up selling the rifle because at the time I could not afford to re-glass it properly, and I wasn't going to have it collecting dust in my safe
in the interim... so I sent it down the river....

-Mike

Even at that range while you don't have to spend $500 there's an enormous difference between the NCStar/Millet/Whatever ChineseOpticsGuy $50-100 Trash VS stuff like Nikon, etc. I'll never own another bolt rifle with that trash on it again. [laugh] I once owned a Savage FP-10, it was a great rifle... completely ruined by the shit glass that someone had put on it. I think the original owner had a real scope but when he dumped the gun he put a millet or something on it so it would sell faster on consignment. I could tell it was swapped out because the anchors werent even tight on the damned thing and I must've wasted like $10 worth of 308 (in 2005 308 prices lol) just to zero the damned thing, only to find out the whole scope was moving because the prick didn't tighten it down. [laugh] I literally ended up selling the rifle because at the time I could not afford to re-glass it properly, and I wasn't going to have it collecting dust in my safe
in the interim... so I sent it down the river....

-Mike
Good points.
All of my rifles have Nikon prostaff scopes on them. So not ultra fancy/expensive but not crazy dirt cheap/shitty either?... [laugh]
My scoped revolvers have Bushnell trophy LER scopes on them which are pretty damn good for the money.

I was a quality only guy like most of you, if you have read some of my posts i mention some of the firearms i used to own.. But.. now 2 divorces and a broken back, and 3 yrs of not even pulling a trigger except in my memories or a bb gun. Believe me when you have nothing, then even a Hi Point or a GSG 22 look damn good.. Also before the insults start, i have a wife, 2 kids, a granddaughter, 2 boxers, a cat, a rabbit, and a friggin Aunt in law all living in my house so the "save up for a quality gun" idea will never happen until i finally get divorced and move from this one. Then it will be, start over with HP .45 for protection, and a GSG .22 for practice. It will be a long time before i ever see a 4 digit gun again. Paul

Last edited:
I guess it depends on what the purpose of the gun is.

Buying a cheap used Mossberg 500 to take rabbit and small game hunting makes sense......and you won't know the difference because the Mossberg 500 will just work......and you don't give a shit if it gets scratched up on a hunt or even put away wet after a hunt. I even hunt turkey with the old beater......and I know "fools" that spent big money on dedicated shotguns just for turkey hunting......pistol grip.....camo..... mounts for red dot......you name it. I've hit plenty of wild turkeys with the old Mossberg and a full choke....just put the bead on the neck and squeeze and its lights out.....no need to spend $1000 on a gun just to kill two Tom's a year.
..... Id never take a $1800 shotgun.....auto or o/u out in the shit for rabbit and small game.......just doesn't make sense to me anyway....and my old beater mossy does the job....every time.

Now......for a home defense handgun.....and range gun for plates and such.....a quality 1911.......or quality revolver....or full size handgun is worth the $

For a dedicated clay sports shotgun if you shoot weekly.....spend the $ on quality gun.

It depends on the purpose.

I have both quality expensive guns and cheap beaters ......I enjoy them both equally for their intended purpose.

Last edited:
It is kinda interesting how the perception of quality evolves for everyone. The growth in customization (Performance center, custom shop, CGW, Bruce Gray, DIY) has helped to enhance the level of quality of already good guns that most people would agree on. But it has also ruined my appreciation of certain guns and moved the quality threshold up for me. After shooting the SAO Legion P226, I never want to shoot the regular P226 anymore. Shooting a CZ TSO and CGW Shadow 2 means the regular 75 sees no range time. Same with Gucci Glocks. Love shooting them. Whereas, shooting stock Glocks feels like homework in comparison. These enhanced versions really spoil it. Makes you accustomed to a certain lifestyle so to speak. Can't go back to slumming it with the stock Glocks. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom