• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Quality cleaning kit under $100

I'll be buying a 12 guage shotgun tomorrow and I have a 9mm with 50 rounds through it. What do you all recommend for a cleaning kit? Prefer it comes with cleaner and brushes to clean both my pistol and shotgun.

I honestly have not had a complaint yet with my Winchester Universal Gun Cleaning Kit in Wooden Presentation Box - Walmart.com

Granted, I have years worth of supplies in my range ammo can, but this kit had everything I needed to clean the .410, 12 gauge, .45, .40, and the .22lr's. .30-06 was lacking, but the .308 brushes worked well until I got a boresnake for that.

Good starting set-up, you'll acquire the rest of your kit over years of piecemealing. Get a bottle of Hoppes #9 to break up carbon and some CLP for cleaning and lubing and some rags and patches and you'll be all set.

All you need is a tooth brush, CLP type cleaner, bore brush, patches, rod, and a cleaning jag. OTIS kits are good for pistols/rifles and for a shotgun a cheap Kleen Bore kit. You don't have to get fancy, Remington makes a universal kit for everything from .22 to 12 gauge in one kit for $50.

or skip the whole patch avenue and get the remington kit with the squeegees. I think four seasons has them for 60 bucks and it does everything from .22 to 50 cal and shotguns. I bought one for my dad for xmas.

Get boresnake's for each caliber along with a bottle of Hoppe's No 9 cleaning solution and some good lube (TetraGun is good stuff, or Hoppe's gun lube). You should be able to get all in for well under $100. If you want rods and such, just get a decent rifle cleaning kit along with a brush for each caliber (doubt you'll need it with the snakes)...

I used to go with the brushes and patches routine, until I used one of the snakes. Now I use them for all my firearms. Makes cleaning the barrel crazy easy (and fast). You can get the nylon cleaning brushes, or just pick up a cheap tooth brush for the extra bits.

Also go to Harbor Freight and get a set of the dental picks they sell (under $5). Those will help you get into the tight spots that everything else might not.

Just priced the snakes on Amazon... $12-$16 [each] for the pistol and shotgun snakes. If you have a Prime membership, shipping will be free.

I actually bought one of these just last night, I needed something better than what I had or should I say, what I was left with

I honestly have not had a complaint yet with my Winchester Universal Gun Cleaning Kit in Wooden Presentation Box - Walmart.com

Granted, I have years worth of supplies in my range ammo can, but this kit had everything I needed to clean the .410, 12 gauge, .45, .40, and the .22lr's. .30-06 was lacking, but the .308 brushes worked well until I got a boresnake for that.

Good starting set-up, you'll acquire the rest of your kit over years of piecemealing. Get a bottle of Hoppes #9 to break up carbon and some CLP for cleaning and lubing and some rags and patches and you'll be all set.

This.

Got one of the wally world ones for christmas - the plastic picks suck (well they did until I broke them), but you can't get all the brushes/etc for cheaper all at once anywhere.

Get boresnake's for each caliber along with a bottle of Hoppe's No 9 cleaning solution and some good lube (TetraGun is good stuff, or Hoppe's gun lube). You should be able to get all in for well under $100. If you want rods and such, just get a decent rifle cleaning kit along with a brush for each caliber (doubt you'll need it with the snakes)...

I used to go with the brushes and patches routine, until I used one of the snakes. Now I use them for all my firearms. Makes cleaning the barrel crazy easy (and fast). You can get the nylon cleaning brushes, or just pick up a cheap tooth brush for the extra bits.

Also go to Harbor Freight and get a set of the dental picks they sell (under $5). Those will help you get into the tight spots that everything else might not.

Just priced the snakes on Amazon... $12-$16 [each] for the pistol and shotgun snakes. If you have a Prime membership, shipping will be free.

I'm going with your suggestion. Placed my Amazon order just now. 2 Hoppe's boresnakes, Hoppe's patches pk 500, Hoppe's cleaning solvent 5 oz. and Hoppe's lube oil. Total was $47.31. Is there a larger size on the oil? I bought the 2.25 oz bottle.

Thanks a million from a newby

I'm going with your suggestion. Placed my Amazon order just now. 2 Hoppe's boresnakes, Hoppe's patches pk 500, Hoppe's cleaning solvent 5 oz. and Hoppe's lube oil. Total was $47.31. Is there a larger size on the oil? I bought the 2.25 oz bottle.

I'd just go with the small bottle to start. I picked up a small bottle of their Precision oil that I expect will last a long time. Use the larger bottle until it's gone, for big areas. You an use the precision placement bottle on places like the slide/frame rails on the pistol. The stuff is high quality, and works really well. Plus, it's damned cheap.

If you're close to Hudson (NH), come on up/over with something we can use the oil on. You can also try out the Tetra Gun grease I have to see how you like that (before buying)...

Walmart sells Mobil 1 by the quart.

I'd just go with the small bottle to start. I picked up a small bottle of their Precision oil that I expect will last a long time. Use the larger bottle until it's gone, for big areas. You an use the precision placement bottle on places like the slide/frame rails on the pistol. The stuff is high quality, and works really well. Plus, it's damned cheap.

If you're close to Hudson (NH), come on up/over with something we can use the oil on. You can also try out the Tetra Gun grease I have to see how you like that (before buying)...

Very generous of you. I live in the commy state MetroWest area. I will be attending the SL gun shop open house this Saturday in Mason NH.

Mason, NH isn't that far from me... If you want to swing over, let me know and I'll PM you my address. You probably won't even need to dip into the nanny state on the drive over. [laugh]

Simple Green, bore snakes, axel grease, and 1:1 mixture of Mobil 1 5W/30 and Mobil 1 ATF. Cotton t-shirt squares instead of patches. I also have dental tools from Harbor Freight, magnetic tray, forceps, and a decent stand to keep most of the stuff in.

Did I mention I'm a cheap bastard?

Last edited:
You can get this very comprehensive kit from Amazon.

Otis Deluxe Law Enforcement Cleaning System : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors

I love the Otis kits. Pulling patches are easier and much less likely to do damage. Their special patches are not cheap, but you can use normal ones most of the time.

Telepathically uploaded via Google implants.

If I am cleaning .22lr, 9mm and .45 pistols along with 5.56 and 7.62 rifles, is there any benefit to the above Otis kit ($55) over the one a few posts back ($35)?

Otis Tactical Cleaning System with 6 Brushes : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors

(I currently own boresnakes for each caliber.)

^Excellent recommendations here. I have a couple of regular kits, one for 9mm pistols, and a rifle kit, plus an Otis tactical kit that covers just about everything up to 12 gauge, and I mainly use just the #9 and oils out of the kits these days, and find that the Boresnakes are my main "go to" cleaning tools along with nylon brush for mechanisms, trigger parts, etc., and Q-tips. Also, non-chlorinated brake cleaner is cheap and very effective to handle a quick hose down for stuff like AR uppers, BCG, etc. that get really gunked up and it doesn't hurt plastics or most finishes.

Back
Top Bottom