Qualifying non resident ltc in Rhode Island

So I live On the border Of Massachusetts and Rhode Island and I want to get my non-resident Ltc in RI.To do this you need to qualify with Whatever Firearm you want.However, say If you qualify with a .40S&W that means you can't shoot anything higher than a .40S&W...So my question is, what caliber in RI do they consider the largest? Is it determined by mass of bullet?velocity?Recoil? Anyone I ask don't know this Question(including A Tiverton,RI officer lol) is .45 bigger than 10mm for qualifying?trying ro qualify with the largest gun round possible...any info would be awesome!

So I live On the border Of Massachusetts and Rhode Island and I want to get my non-resident Ltc in RI.To do this you need to qualify with Whatever Firearm you want.However, say If you qualify with a .40S&W that means you can't shoot anything higher than a .40S&W...So my question is, what caliber in RI do they consider the largest? Is it determined by mass of bullet?velocity?Recoil? Anyone I ask don't know this Question(including A Tiverton,RI officer lol) is .45 bigger than 10mm for qualifying?trying ro qualify with the largest gun round possible...any info would be awesome.

Caliber is the standard. The instructors at Wallum Lake that qualify shooters all recommend doing the qual test with a 1911 in .45. Once qualified and non-Res LTC in hand, you can conceal carry whatever caliber you qualified with OR smaller.

The determining factor is bore diameter. Most people qualify with .45ACP for ease's sake and because most people won't carry a gun with a bore bigger than 0.45". If you want to qualify with something like .455 Webley or .50AE, you can if you want to.

See 11-47-15 for details:

http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/Statutes/TITLE11/11-47/11-47-15.htm

http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/Statutes/TITLE11/11-47/11-47-16.htm

No person shall be issued a license or permit to carry a pistol or revolver concealed upon his or her person until he or she has presented certification as prescribed in § 11-47-16 that he or she has qualified with a pistol or revolver of a caliber equal to or larger than the one he or she intends to carry, that qualification to consist of firing a score of one hundred ninety-five (195) or better out of a possible score of three hundred (300) with thirty (30) consecutive rounds at a distance of twenty-five (25) yards on the army "L" target, firing "slow" fire. The "slow" fire course shall allow ten (10) minutes for the firing of each of three (3) ten (10) shot strings.

Think of "caliber" as bore diameter.

Last edited by a moderator:
The determining factor is bore diameter. Most people qualify with .45ACP for ease's sake and because most people won't carry a gun with a bore bigger than 0.45". If you want to qualify with something like .455 Webley or .50AE, you can if you want to.

See 11-47-15 for details:

http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/Statutes/TITLE11/11-47/11-47-15.htm

http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/Statutes/TITLE11/11-47/11-47-16.htm

Think of "caliber" as bore diameter.
So basically typical handgun calibers like .22LR .380acp 9mm 10mm .40s&w ... and .45acp would be basically fine to carry? What I was most concerned was if I shot my .45 then would I be able to carry a 10mm? I know 10mm is smaller caliber but is actually harder to shoot(in my opinion)...

So basically typical handgun calibers like .22LR .380acp 9mm 10mm .40s&w ... and .45acp would be basically fine to carry? What I was most concerned was if I shot my .45 then would I be able to carry a 10mm? I know 10mm is smaller caliber but is actually harder to shoot(in my opinion)...

Again, the text of the statute says "caliber", meaning bore diameter. If what you're carrying is the same bore diameter or smaller, you're good under the statute.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend carrying a 10mm in southern New England, because of ammo prices. A gun with cheap ammo is one you can shoot often. A "magnum" cartridge like 10mm or .357 Mag is more expensive to shoot, assuming you aren't handloading. A gun you're not shooting is one you're not as familiar with. And this isn't Alaska or Montana where grizzlies are a serious concern.

Again, however, 11-47-15 defines the restriction as by "caliber", meaning bore diameter.

Again, the text of the statute says "caliber", meaning bore diameter. If what you're carrying is the same bore diameter or smaller, you're good under the statute.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend carrying a 10mm in southern New England, because of ammo prices. A gun with cheap ammo is one you can shoot often. A "magnum" cartridge like 10mm or .357 Mag is more expensive to shoot, assuming you aren't handloading. A gun you're not shooting is one you're not as familiar with. And this isn't Alaska or Montana where grizzlies are a serious concern.

Again, however, 11-47-15 defines the restriction as by "caliber", meaning bore diameter.
Yeah just wanted to make I sure I can carry whatever I want,that's all......

This is why I let Scrivner borrow my 500 S&W Mag to perform his range qualification. I'm pretty sure Boudrie was the NRA certified person that signed off.

Thanks to EddieColye for supplying the lead for the activity. We loaded them up nice and light. ;)

Back
Top Bottom