• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Putting together a survival kit

I'm just starting some disaster/SHTF prep. My current objective is to get enough stuff to last three people for one week. Once I get that, I'll expand my goals to two weeks, etc.

I've made a list of what I want to buy or put together. I'm thinking of using a couple of those big plastic bins to store all the stuff in, except for the water.

I wanted to present the list that I have so far and see if there are things that I've forgotten, or critiques that people have. I know that there are a lot of these lists floating around, so feel free to ignore this post, but if you have feedback, please share it.

What I have on my list at this point:

Food (24 MREs and ten 3600 calorie bars)
Water (21 gallon containers of distilled water)
Plastic eating utensils/plates/bowls/cups

Matches (waterproof)/lighers
Candles
Flashlight/batteries
Battery-powered radio (and batteries/spares)
Local map
Fire extinguisher
Duct tape
Work gloves
Rope/paracord

Photocopies of important documents (passport, insurance cards, bank account numbers)
Extra set of keys (or 2)

Toiletries:
Toothbrush/toothpaste
Toilet paper
Soap
Hand sanitizer (alcohol-based)

First aid:
Bandages (sterile dressings, bandages, medical tape)
Antiseptic
Sterile saline solution
Thermometer
Tweezers
Anti-diarrhea medicine
Laxative
Antacid
Antibiotic ointment
Pain killers/fever reducer
Burn ointment
Gloves
Dusk masks

I don't have any tools on my list, but I do own a decent amount of tools. Are there some basic hand tools that you think would be wise to include in a box with emergency supplies (keeping in mind that all of my tools are in the basement, so I could always go get what I needed, as long as the basement isn't flooded).

Thanks for any input that you have.

Edit: I also have a friend who is included in my three people who has some allergies (including many nuts). Do you know if it's possible for a person who does not have allergies to get an Epi pen to put in a medical kit for emergencies? Or would I need her to get one and give it to me to put in the kit?

You may want to look at getting a couple of 5gal containers instead of the gallon containers. It could help with space and such. Also, you may want to look at some form of water purification/treatment system (maybe a couple different ones).

Given that your gonna be driving you also may want to look into spare gas storage as well.

Make a video of your house and its contents.
Keep your reciepts for big ticket items (ex. HDTV's,furniture,collectables etc.)
The vid is important to document your home & posessions to insurance Co.s should there be a fire/flood act of terrorism, natl.disaster etc.
The vids can be useful to law enforcment in a case of theft or vandalisim.
Send a copy of the video to a relative out of town to store for you.

...yes I'm serious

You may want to look at getting a couple of 5gal containers instead of the gallon containers. It could help with space and such. Also, you may want to look at some form of water purification/treatment system (maybe a couple different ones).

Given that your gonna be driving you also may want to look into spare gas storage as well.

Yeah, larger containers would definitely be good. Can you buy water in larger containers or would I need to fill the larger containers from smaller ones? I'm thinking Costco is a good place to get some of this stuff, so I'll look into what they have.

Back
Top Bottom