• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Putting threads on a Wasr-10

I purchased a slant brake to put on my awb era wasr10 (I've had it for a long time). After cutting the spot weld, I was pleased to see that I have very bad luck...

My barrel nut was pressed on and never threaded. My question is, does anyone know a gunsmith in nh that would be willing to thread the barrel for me? I know there are kits that would allow me to thread it myself, but I've never seen it done, and its a little intimidating.

It's also possible that I have such bad luck that my wasr used to have threads...that were later removed. If the barrel is unable to be threaded, i'll still need a gunsmith to reach the original nut. Any help would be great, thanks.

IMAG0449.jpg

sent from tapatalk mobile app

don't be intimidated man! i recently did mine and it was easy cheese. there's quite a few instructional vids on youtube that cover how to do it.

don't be intimidated man! i recently did mine and it was easy cheese. there's quite a few instructional vids on youtube that cover how to do it.

The more I look at it, the more I think the threads were removed (After doing some poking around on the net, it seems that some of wasr 10s had their threads ground down prior to import). The new slant brake slides right over the barrel, putting new threads on it, would make the diameter too small anyway. guess I'll just need to have the old nut welded back on. Any ideas on the type of weld I would need? maybe just some silver solder?

that sucks...i don't know the specifics of what type of weld you'd need, but i know you can silver solder it. FWIW, what about leaving it the way it is or just painting it...it doesn't look that bad.

If you measure the diameter of the barrel near the muzzle you can check it against the info on Dinzag Arms under the tools section where he sells threading equipment. Some barrels that were turned down can still be threaded if the dimensions fall within the range he lists for the threading dies.

kind of off topic but i am thinking of doing a slant brake on my saiga, are there any legal issues i could run into in CT?

Last edited:
i've had the smith at Stateline Guns, Ammo & Archery in Plaistow work on my AK and he did a good job on my AK and was reasonable on the price as well.

Last edited:
Couldn't you just have it welded on? Or is that pretty much impossible to do while keeping it straight?

-Mike

any particular reason why you're going with that brake as opposed to the 14x1 LH that is standard?

Because WASR10s often have threaded barrels that were shaved down during the AWB so they can't accept standard 14x1 muzzle devices. I have no idea why they had muzzle nuts tacked on unless it was for extra compliance. What the OP is trying to do is thread whats left to install a brake and hes limited on sizes.

Because WASR10s often have threaded barrels that were shaved down during the AWB so they can't accept standard 14x1 muzzle devices. I have no idea why they had muzzle nuts tacked on unless it was for extra compliance. What the OP is trying to do is thread whats left to install a brake and hes limited on sizes.

yeah, posted before going back and reading his prior issues...fixored!

Bore out the brake. Make a sleeve with about .002" interference and then press it on. I suppose you could pin it or tack weld it if you wanted to. I'm not a legal expert but I believe a press fit may be acceptable in AWB states.

Why not jus tack on the slant brake . I would make some sort of rod to insert in the barrel bore that steps up to the inside dia of the brake to ensure brake and bore alignment while tacking the slant you can maybe make the rod out of a wooden dowel just sand it to fit snug in bore and brake

Back
Top Bottom