• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Purple Heart Info

I just read an article about a "home invasion" which resulted in the theft of a Purple Heart. My question is this: Are all Purple Hearts engraved with the recipients name on the back? My grandfather received a Purple Heart during WWI and his name is engraved on the back.

I just read an article about a "home invasion" which resulted in the theft of a Purple Heart. My question is this: Are all Purple Hearts engraved with the recipients name on the back? My grandfather received a Purple Heart during WWI and his name is engraved on the back.

Either that used to be the standard back then or he/someone had it engraved, but afaik no.

My father's PH from WW1 is engraved and quite a bit differently put together than the unengraved PH I received from Vietnam. No doubt the government cheapened the materials in later 'models'.

The manufacturers actually requested the change. The early ones (WWI) had porcelain hearts and were difficult to work with. At some point they switched to plastic, I am guessing sometime during WWII.

My father's PH from WW1 is engraved and quite a bit differently put together than the unengraved PH I received from Vietnam. No doubt the government cheapened the materials in later 'models'.

A lot depends , I think today regarding your specific unit. I don't think most decorations are engraved today, although there are, I am sure exceptions

The Purple Hearts issued thru Viet Nam and into the actions of the 80's like the invasion of Grenada were left overs from WWII manufactured for the anticipated invasion of Japan that never happened.

Up until ww2, and perhaps a bit longer each heart was engraved with a number, and that number to a person, there for you can look up who a serialized heart belongs to. But they stopped serializing them. I don't know when however.

Im almost 100% sure none of OEF or OIF are. Mine isn't at least.

Back
Top Bottom