Purchasing new at local Ma gun show

As I do not have any experience buying in MA Gun shows. So thought I'd ask. What are ppl thoughts in regards to Purchasing a -New pistol at a gun show? Good bad - is it better to visit a brick and mortar. As a consumer I obviously want a good deal. But what are the pro and cons?

Unless you're going private party, it's functionally the same. From what I have heard, the prices there to be on-par or somewhat inflated.

Naturally if you want the lowest price, online is almost always the way to go.

There's nothing magical about gunshows, but let us know if you find the mythical loophole I have heard about.

As I do not have any experience buying in MA Gun shows. So thought I'd ask. What are ppl thoughts in regards to Purchasing a -New pistol at a gun show? Good bad - is it better to visit a brick and mortar. As a consumer I obviously want a good deal. But what are the pro and cons?

Buy in a store, it'll be cheaper and you might even find one on sale. Check the classifieds here and Armslist and Gunbroker too. Local shops place ads online. Google "Armslist Massachusetts" and the page with just Mass sales will come up. Check their websites too, some of them have their inventory online.

Any thoughts on what you're looking to buy?

Buy in a store, it'll be cheaper and you might even find one on sale. Check the classifieds here and Armslist and Gunbroker too. Local shops place ads online. Google "Armslist Massachusetts" and the page with just Mass sales will come up. Check their websites too, some of them have their inventory online.

Any thoughts on what you're looking to buy?
I would really want for my plinker / EDC is the SW 2.0 compact. But its not on the list. I'm waiting to see the 2019 updated MA list.

There's one thing I can tell you for sure, if you buy anything at a gun show you are going to pay more for it than if you purchased it a gun shop.

my advice...if you want to buy something, like a new gun, go on the 2nd day if it's a 2 day event, around 1-1:30pm cause the shows close at 3 and some people are more willing to cut a deal than pack the shit up and take it back home. sometimes it works. [wink]

There's one thing I can tell you for sure, if you buy anything at a gun show you are going to pay more for it than if you purchased it a gun shop.
Yeah I always thought that guns will be priced higher at gun shows to pay for the cost of a table? Can't say I've ever bought a gun at a gun show though...

How do u know the sellers are legit? Or at least not selling stolen stuff.

How do you know that anyone selling you anything isn't selling you stolen stuff?

As far as legit goes, make the transfer via an FFL if you don't think that checking their license and using the efa10 site isn't legit enough.

How do u know the sellers are legit? Or at least not selling stolen stuff.
Two letters of reference, plus a signed affidavit.

If they refuse, invite them to the local PD for a fingerprint review and/or submit the serial number for tracing.
;)

Last edited:
If you're looking for a brand-new item, do your homework online first, and see if anyone at the show will beat the best price. If you live in MA you may have problems getting a MA-compliant pistol online. If the shipper sends your FFL a non-compliant gun you'll pay to return it. Bottom line, dealing with a local shop is preferable, plus it builds goodwill for future transactions.

A lot of brick and mortar shops are the ones selling new guns at gun shows. In fact, I think virtually all of them would be since MA doesn't allow 01FFLs without a storefront anymore. Very few grandfathered ones that operate out of their garage are left.

As a counterpoint I know Gary at gun and gun parts was at the big-e this weekend and I know he didn't swap price tags when he dragged the guns back to the store when I was there yesterday. But it is a crap shoot as to better prices. go to a show look at the selection and see if your local dealer can give you a decent price. (and the old AAA gun in west springfield was really bad about jacking prices so it does happen)

Gun shows have higher ticket prices generally, but I've got lucky and picked up a few pieces at the end of the day after some haggling. I'd never try that in a brick and mortar store since those prices are usually right on MSRP, and those stores usually make their money selling cleaning stuff and ammo.

I have found that gun shows are generally a good place to examine a large number of different firearms which you maybe considering. But they may not be the best, i.e., the least expensive place to purchase a firearm.

But they may be a source of hard-to-find firearms. I have purchased a few such items and have been happy with them.

Just don't set your expectations too high.

So will MA gun shows only be selling MA compliant stuff ?

The laws that govern a MA FFL at their brick and mortar store are the very same laws that govern a MA FFL at a gun show in MA. If you think you can get around the MA compliance silliness simply by going to one of the crappy MA gun shows, you are sadly mistaken.

Gun shows in MA are a waste of time.

Last edited:
The laws that govern a MA FFL at their brick and mortar store are the very same laws that govern a MA FFL at a gun show in MA. If you think you can get around the MA compliance silliness simply by going to one of the crappy MA gun shows, you are sadly mistaken.

Yep

they can be for the experienced guy. myself, i will head to one if i'm looking for something specific that's hard to locate. i found my items once or twice out of the tons of times i've gone, so yeah, a waste of time most times in. but you pay through the ass, you really got to want it bad enough to pay the prices asked plus that $12 fee to get in.

honestly, most guys go sunday to get away from their wives for a couple hours. spend some bonding time with their buddies.

Yeah I always thought that guns will be priced higher at gun shows to pay for the cost of a table? Can't say I've ever bought a gun at a gun show though...

Many years ago I bought several pistols at gun shows. They were mostly hard to find pistols, like a Sig P-228, and P-225. I'm sure I paid more than I should of but like I said they were hard to find and both in excellent condition. So there are exceptions to ever rule.

Last edited:
Many years ago I bought several pistols at gun shows. They were mostly hard to find pistols, like a Sig P-228, and P-225. I'm sure I paid more than I should of but like I said they were hard to find and both in excellent condition. So there are exceptions to ever rule.
upload_2018-12-12_15-54-14.png
Doesn't that support the rule rather than illustrate an exception?

Either way, glad you found some items you enjoy.

The only good deal I ever got at a gun show was an unfortunate situation where the North Shore store was going out of business and was basically dumping their guns. I got a beautiful Smith and Wesson M27 classic 4" new in box for $550. I had not need for it but it was a beauty and a quick look up on my phone showed it for $869 online at Buds Gun Shop in TX so I grabbed it. Sad part was that as I was doing paperwork I was talking ot the 2 guys who were closing their business as sales had gone though the floor after the election. Nice guys but they had no traffic oin the shop anymore and internet slaes margins were not enough to keep them in business.

Back
Top Bottom