• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Purchasing (MA Compliant) Combat Rifles

Hey Ladies and Gents,

First post on the NES forum.

Looking to get some opinions on MA compliant combat rifles. I was interested in purchasing one to add to the collection of firearms. In doing research and hitting the range, it is clear that the AR-15 is a popular one among MA residents and many others but I was thinking of going a bit more obscure than that.

While searching around, I took a liking to the FN-FAL battle rifle. Does anyone know if this weapon is MA compliant? If so what are the pre-banned models?

Any other favorites worth mentioning?

Zero Hour Arms give them a call. I have seen a few on the shelves there and they are knowledgeable people.

Hey Ladies and Gents,

Looking to get some opinions on MA compliant combat rifles. I was interested in purchasing one to add to the collection of firearms. In doing research and hitting the range, it is clear that the AR-15 is a popular one among MA residents and many others but I was thinking of going a bit more obscure than that.

While searching around, I took a liking to the FN-FAL battle rifle. Does anyone know if this weapon is MA compliant? If so what are the pre-banned models?

Welcome to the forum, StreetSweeper.

As far as FN-FALs, you can find MA compliant semi-auto versions of these rifles. They need to either be pre-ban (built before the federal Assault Weapon Ban of 1994) or ban-compliant in order to legally own in MA. I have a post-ban FAL I built which is ban compliant: it has no bayonet lug, no flash suppressor, or folding/collapsing stock. I have a muzzle brake on the rifle that has been silver soldered to the threaded barrel. And the rifle is good to go as far as MA laws go.

You are correct on ARs being popular on NES. And they are popular for a good reason: they are accurate rifles for the money spent on them. And they are about as American As You Can Get.

My personal favorite battle rifle is the AK. And in a community like NES, that can single you out as an odd ball.

As far as other obscure magazine fed battle rifles, you could go with a semi-auto SCAR, FN FS2000, CETME, Valmet, or Galil.

one word of forum advice: I would suggest that you do not refer to rifles as "weapons." You may get some grief about that- a rifle is not a weapon until it is used to harm someone. Kind of like a kitchen knife is not a weapon until it is wielded against a person. It doesn't bother me, but some on here might get a little pissy with that verbiage [wink]

Last edited:
Even if you can get it in MA, good luck in Boston. You've got a whole 'nother ban in-play there.

<Edit - mlaboss beat me to it, with a link too!>

Welcome to the board, and please consider "going green."

Since your location is "Boston, MA", you may also want to look into Boston's own special "Assault Weapons" law.

Here's a link to get you started:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...on-quot-Assault-Weapons-Ban-quot-n00b-content

in this case, you can still own them, but you must store them outside of the city.

Or a FS2000 or Sig 556 would be a decent option since they are not listed in the Boston law's verbiage.

and, obviously, I am not a lawyer so any advice read in my posts should be taken with a grain of salt.

As far as FN-FALs, you can find MA compliant semi-auto versions of these rifles. They need to either be pre-ban (built before the federal Assault Weapon Ban of 1994) or ban-compliant in order to legally own in MA. I have a post-ban FAL I built which is ban compliant: it has no bayonet lug, no flash suppressor, or folding/collapsing stock. I have a muzzle brake on the rifle that has been silver soldered to the threaded barrel. And the rifle is good to go as far as MA laws go.

You are correct on ARs being popular on NES. And they are popular for a good reason: they are accurate rifles for the money spent on them. And they are about as American As You Can Get.

My personal favorite battle rifle is the AK. And in a community like NES, that can single you out as an odd ball.

As far as other obscure magazine fed battle rifles, you could go with a semi-auto SCAR, FN FS2000, CETME, Valmet, or Galil.

one word of forum advice: I would suggest that you do not refer to rifles as "weapons." You may get some grief about that- a rifle is not a weapon until it is used to harm someone. Kind of like a kitchen knife is not a weapon until it is wielded against a person. It doesn't bother me, but some on here might get a little pissy with that verbiage [wink]

Excellent stuff here. I will be checking the other suggested rifles out and thank you for the heads up about the word "weapons". I don't typically participate in many forums but can see where your coming from on that end.

Thanks for all the useful information on this thread!

I see that many of you have addressed my location as a potential issue.

Currently I have a registered LTC for Westborough (Worcester County) which I currently store my collection. In the next month I will be moving to Allston/Brighton, MA which may pose a problem for this.

I will be reading up on the information provided and doing further research on this topic but I do intend to get this straightened out before making the move.

Also thank you to the posters who suggested places to check out. I've done some shopping at Undercover Arms in Hudson (they have an excellent pistol selection) but It's awesome to hear of other places.

Hey Ladies and Gents,

What kind of "combat rifle" are you interested in? They are ALL pretty much MA compliant or can be made to be as long as they don't have certain features that fall into the MA assault weapon ban

Any type of AR can be MA legal.
FAL's are MA legal ( I have three)
FN2000 - MA legal
Garand - MA Legal
AK - MA legal
M14 - MA legal
AR10 - MA legal

etc . etc.

American pride baby! [smile]

"Weapon" is a tool or instrument used in order to inflict damage or harm to living beings. Damn right my guns are weapons.... Just for food or "bad" guys though. [rolleyes] LMAO I get a kick out of what people on a gun forum get pissed about.

Feel free to store your new rifle at my house. I have room in my safe

Me too!!! [rofl]

a rifle is not a weapon until it is used to harm someone. Kind of like a kitchen knife is not a weapon until it is wielded against a person. It doesn't bother me, but some on here might get a little pissy with that verbiage [wink]

Unless of course it was designed to kill someone, which is what the OP is looking for [wink]

Mike

For Christ sake. It's bad enough that the VPC and Brady Center came up with the name "assault weapon" and got it into the common vernacular. And now you have to up the ante with "combat rifle"? WTF are you trying to do? [troll]

Brighton and Allston are merely villages (parts) of Boston. Boston City Hall, Boston PD, Boston FD, etc.

Thus, all Boston laws apply.

I've got to admit I'm somewhat clueless on the subject of the Boston AWB - so there are special rules about Boston residents owning "assault weapons"?

What's the deal - I mean there's nothing to prevent a Boston resident from purchasing outside the city - does the law say you cannot possess within the city limits of Boston or something?

I've got to admit I'm somewhat clueless on the subject of the Boston AWB - so there are special rules about Boston residents owning "assault weapons"?

What's the deal - I mean there's nothing to prevent a Boston resident from purchasing outside the city - does the law say you cannot possess within the city limits of Boston or something?

Healthy reading link. http://www.goal.org/masslawpages/bostonawban.html

http://www.goal.org/masslawpages/bostonawban.html

In the city of Boston, it shall be unlawful to sell, rent, lease, possess, purchase, barter, display, or transfer an assault weapon.

In the city of Boston, it shall be unlawful to sell, rent, lease, possess, purchase, barter, display, or transfer a large capacity magazine or a large capacity ammunition belt.

EDIT: Damn, Al beat me by a minute!

Since BATFE dictates (law or reg) that an FFL can only sell something that is legal for the buyer to possess where he lives, it actually would be a violation (for the dealer) to sell Boston-banned guns to a person with a LTC listing a Boston address. I'm sure 90% of the FFLs out there are totally clueless about this, but it is what it is.

The Boston ban language verbatim has been posted on NES a few different times, including a Sticky IIRC. I believe someone in this thread posted a link to it.

Bottom line . . . Boston residents can NOT possess any large cap mags or listed guns in the city of Boston, period. They do not recognize "pre-ban" at all.

Alston, Brighton, Back Bay, Roxbury, Jamaica Plain, W. Roxbury, South End, North End, Beacon Hill, etc. are ALL parts of Boston and Boston laws apply.

I raised the question because OP thinking to move to the city of Boston. I'm not sure if Allston/Brighton area consider as city of Boston. Hence my question.

To OP, think very carefully if you planned to move to Boston. I would rather stay outside of Boston vicinity and travel to Boston for work.

Since BATFE dictates (law or reg) that an FFL can only sell something that is legal for the buyer to possess where he lives, it actually would be a violation (for the dealer) to sell Boston-banned guns to a person with a LTC listing a Boston address. I'm sure 90% of the FFLs out there are totally clueless about this, but it is what it is.

The Boston ban language verbatim has been posted on NES a few different times, including a Sticky IIRC. I believe someone in this thread posted a link to it.

Bottom line . . . Boston residents can NOT possess any large cap mags or listed guns in the city of Boston, period. They do not recognize "pre-ban" at all.

Alston, Brighton, Back Bay, Roxbury, Jamaica Plain, W. Roxbury, South End, North End, Beacon Hill, etc. are ALL parts of Boston and Boston laws apply.

Thanks for all the answers. I quickly read thru the GOAL link Chinalfr posted. I knew there was an AWB in Boston - I just wasn't familiar with the details.

To sum it up in one sentence: If you have your official place of residence in Boston or it's surrounding fiefdoms - you're screwed.

The Boston rifle laws are what focused my attention on pistols and becoming proficient with them. Then I moved a town over and jumped into battle rifles. FALs are awesome, but expensive to buy and to feed.

Your best bet is to move to somewhere like Somerville (if you still want to be near the city and T) and get a C&R.

Thats not the best news for me...
I have a pre-banned glock 19 which is my one and only pistol at the moment. Might have to make a change sooner than I thought... I am seeing a 1911 on the horizon...

I raised the question because OP thinking to move to the city of Boston. I'm not sure if Allston/Brighton area consider as city of Boston. Hence my question.

To OP, think very carefully if you planned to move to Boston. I would rather stay outside of Boston vicinity and travel to Boston for work.

Unfortunately the deal has already been done. I might have to work with what I have in my new location and possibly seek out alternatives such as storing at my parents house back in central ma. Knowing MA law this is will also work out to be illegal but well see what I've got to work with.

Back
Top Bottom