• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Purchasing in MA Question

I stopped at the Cabela’s in Mass, wanted to buy some .30 reloading components. The guy says not unless you are a Mass resident, and have a Firearm owners ID card. I only wanted components not loaded ammo. Strange law.
Anyone in Mass know if this is correct?

So, I stopped at the Cabela’s in Maine. Told the guy what I wanted, he says “sure, anything else you want?”

What a difference in States!

I stopped at the Cabela’s in Mass, wanted to buy some .30 reloading components. The guy says not unless you are a Mass resident, and have a Firearm owners ID card. I only wanted components not loaded ammo. Strange law.
Anyone in Mass know if this is correct?

So, I stopped at the Cabela’s in Maine. Told the guy what I wanted, he says “sure, anything else you want?”

What a difference in States!

Basically the deal is that you can't buy shit in MA (guns or ammunition, or components of ammunition) without a -resident- LTC or FID, period end full stop. Just pretend its a foreign country, lol...

I do consider it “behind enemy lines”. CT is not much better!

CT is awful but at least ypu can buy ammo with a non resident license. Mass blocks it altogether. (nonres MA LTC is for possession and carry only).

wife's a front end manager at Bass Pro.. you wouldn't believe the crap she gets from out-of-staters when her cashiers refuse sale of ammo/components to them.. at least once a week these a**h***s go off on her rather than take issue with the f***ed up laws in this state..

wife's a front end manager at Bass Pro.. you wouldn't believe the crap she gets from out-of-staters when her cashiers refuse sale of ammo/components to them.. at least once a week these a**h***s go off on her rather than take issue with the f***ed up laws in this state..

If it happens that often, can't they put signs up or something there?

-Mike

You would think they’d want the sales tax revenue. What clowns.

I don't think the nippleheads were thinking too much about that back when they put that whole "simons rock" business into the law.

-Mike

That is really over the top!
heck i live in mass and seldom buy anything other than brand new handguns from a dealer here in mass. the laws and storage requirements both dealers and residents have also put a increase on prices.

MA has funny legal definitions.

Any component of ammunition is, in and of itself, ammunition and regulated as such.

A component of a gun (such as a stripped lower) is not a firearm, rifle or shotgun unless it can be made to fire by minor repair or adjustment, so stripped lowers are not subject to state regulation, only federal.

A rifle or shotgun is not a firearm. A handgun is.

A firearms ID card does not allow possession of a firearm; only a rifle or a shotgun (low cap)

Don't buy anything in Ma. that I need except when I want to buy a handgun and I have to go through some step in Ma. On line sellers won't even ship a plastic wad to a Ma. address.
Oh Well......

A firearms ID card does not allow possession of a firearm; only a rifle or a shotgun (low cap)
The First Circuit doesn't agree.

(Please note this is a post made in frustration of a stupid decision by a court that I do not agree with. Please do not attempt to possess a firearm in Massachusetts unless you have a LTC.)

The First Circuit doesn't agree.

(Please note this is a post made in frustration of a stupid decision by a court that I do not agree with. Please do not attempt to possess a firearm in Massachusetts unless you have a LTC.)
Agreed, but that decision was inconsistent with MA statutes and there is no dealer in MA (that I know of) that will sell one a handgun on an FID.

MA has funny legal definitions.

Any component of ammunition is, in and of itself, ammunition and regulated as such.

A component of a gun (such as a stripped lower) is not a firearm, rifle or shotgun unless it can be made to fire by minor repair or adjustment, so stripped lowers are not subject to state regulation, only federal.

A rifle or shotgun is not a firearm. A handgun is.

And, not to be outdone... A "License to Carry" is a license to possess a firearm (handgun) but not NECESSARILY ACTUALLY CARRY said firearm (handgun) given capricious restrictions.

And, not to be outdone... A "License to Carry" is a license to possess a firearm (handgun) but not NECESSARILY ACTUALLY CARRY said firearm (handgun) given capricious restrictions.
It is. Under the MA definition of "carry" even disassembled with a trigger lock in a locked cast in the trunk of your car is "carry".

What if they’re attending a competition?....[pot]

Same answer.

Is this just the magazine? I bring an AR-15 into Mass for high power competition and as far as I know I'm the only one who does that uses 10 round magazines. I always use 10 rounds even in RI just because they are shorter not because, Mass.

Is this just the magazine? I bring an AR-15 into Mass for high power competition and as far as I know I'm the only one who does that uses 10 round magazines. I always use 10 rounds even in RI just because they are shorter not because, Mass.
Without a MA NR LTC you could face a felony charge. I realize that people do it every day and all is well and good until someone gets caught. As of 2014, chiefs and LOs were being informed of the correct interpretation of that bogus exemption law, so the risks are increasing.

Sucks doesn't it? I didn't even know it was illegal until a few years ago when we came to MA to shoot a prone match which we had done for many years. After Newtown I immediately bought 10 round mags so I thought I would be OK. I thought the sarcasm I got from the guy shooting next to me was because I was hitting him and his expensive match rifle with brass (and beating him) but as it turned out, the two of us that were shooting AR's weren't exactly legal not that anyone else even cared. It was my last time shooting AR's in MA, good-bye Westfield and Reading. I belong to Forbes in NY and can't even bring them there.

Without a MA NR LTC you could face a felony charge. I realize that people do it every day and all is well and good until someone gets caught. As of 2014, chiefs and LOs were being informed of the correct interpretation of that bogus exemption law, so the risks are increasing.[/QUOTE

I was told that as a out of state person, I could get non resident status and be legal, is this true and if so how much grief is involved? I don't plan to be a test case for getting caught!

It so sad than Massachusetts gun laws are put into place without any empirical evidence and are either snuck through or are dumped on us. I don't want a bump stock. It's a goofy accessory but it might be fun learning how to actually hit something with it. BUT it makes the pudding head know nothing's think they've accomplished something. They will not attack the mental health aspects because they are frightened of the MH industry and the mountains of state and federal money spent on Non
Profits and the people THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO SERVE BUT DON'T. Look at BayPath, VinFen and such. They dont have successes because they dont want them. No client no cash cow.
I will say once you have your LTC here you have more freedoms than a lot of states.we are not a signage state. Just because the sign says no firearms allowed does not make it a law. I believe there are state laws possibly even Texas that don't let you CC into bars, restaurants, theater's etcetara. During the Waco/wacko shooting in Texas followed the law and left her firearm in her car. She got to watch unarmed as her mother and father were killed.
Long winded again but carry everyday. I have showed friends how to get a new g34 in this state. It's odd but it happens.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom