Purchasing firearms during interim renewal period

Just did a transfer today from a local dealer. I told him that my license says that it is expired but it is actually active because I started the renewal process prior to the expiration date. He was cool with that but leary about the procedure. So he called the FRB. Apparently they (FRB) stated that I need to show the dealer my renewal application receipt to proceed. Now I'm a little irritated because :
1. I applied for renewal in May 2016 and am still waiting.
2. I have had several conversations with my licensing officer and they assured me my license was valid and purchases would not be an issue.
3. I have purchase ammo and guns from another local FFL since my license expired without issue and without the receipt.
4. I never heard you need to have your renewal receipt with you for purchases; so of course I do not have the receipt with me.
5. I drove a half hour out of my way just to meet this FFL and get to know his business and now may leave without my purchase.

So I suggest we call my local PD to get this straightened out. FFL agrees.
The licensing officer (on speaker) then proceeds down the same path that I need my receipt and he cannot provide that info to the FFL.
Now I'm pissed!
So I pipe up and tell him that I'm in on the conversation and that 1. You told me my license was valid and 2. I have made several purchase without issue previously without a receipt. The licensing officer goes on to say that the other FFL was negligent. I say, whoa this renewal has been in your hand for 10 months and you cannot get it done? DO YOUR JOB!!!!
Anyway thing went a little sideways in the conversation for a minute but I got it back together and was able to convince him to email the FFL a copy of my receipt, but not without the veiled threat that it is now on my record that I was "combative" with the officer on the phone.

****ing rediculous....

So the question is.. Are you required to show your renewal receipt by law? Or regulation?

I couldn't find anything in the MGL's.

When I renewed mine a few years back, the clerk who processed my renewal told me different. She stated to buy any ammo or firearm before the expiration of the license. She said to carry the renewal "in progress" receipt with me when traveling or hunting for the legal valid possession of a firearm. I couldn't purchase any ammo or firearms till the new one arrived. I hope you didn't poke the bear and good luck.

When I renewed mine a few years back, the clerk who processed my renewal told me different. She stated to buy any ammo or firearm before the expiration of the license. She said to carry the renewal "in progress" receipt with me when traveling or hunting for the legal valid possession of a firearm. I couldn't purchase any ammo or firearms till the new one arrived. I hope you didn't poke the bear and good luck.

The law has changed since then. Your license remains active indefinitely as long as you applied prior to expiration.

Just did a transfer today from a local dealer. I told him that my license says that it is expired but it is actually active because I started the renewal process prior to the expiration date. He was cool with that but leary about the procedure. So he called the FRB. Apparently they (FRB) stated that I need to show the dealer my renewal application receipt to proceed. Now I'm a little irritated because :
1. I applied for renewal in May 2016 and am still waiting.
2. I have had several conversations with my licensing officer and they assured me my license was valid and purchases would not be an issue.
3. I have purchase ammo and guns from another local FFL since my license expired without issue and without the receipt.
4. I never heard you need to have your renewal receipt with you for purchases; so of course I do not have the receipt with me.
5. I drove a half hour out of my way just to meet this FFL and get to know his business and now may leave without my purchase.

So I suggest we call my local PD to get this straightened out. FFL agrees.
The licensing officer (on speaker) then proceeds down the same path that I need my receipt and he cannot provide that info to the FFL.
Now I'm pissed!
So I pipe up and tell him that I'm in on the conversation and that 1. You told me my license was valid and 2. I have made several purchase without issue previously without a receipt. The licensing officer goes on to say that the other FFL was negligent. I say, whoa this renewal has been in your hand for 10 months and you cannot get it done? DO YOUR JOB!!!!
Anyway thing went a little sideways in the conversation for a minute but I got it back together and was able to convince him to email the FFL a copy of my receipt, but not without the veiled threat that it is now on my record that I was "combative" with the officer on the phone.

****ing rediculous....

So the question is.. Are you required to show your renewal receipt by law? Or regulation?

I couldn't find anything in the MGL's.

Yes, the 8/14/2014 law change REQUIRES PD to issue a MIRCS receipt (no other will do) AND for you to possess it at all times while "in process". FFL is correct, no receipt, no purchase.

If you can't get results with the chief, go to selectmen/town manager . . . or hire Atty Jason Guida to get on their ass. Absolutely NO reason for a renewal to take 10 months. The PD is totally out of line. This is a time where a "lawyer letter" may do wonders.

Also send an Email to [email protected] detailing your situation, I'm sure that they would be "interested".

I had five customers with expired LTC and received of renewal payment but the MIRCS system does no validates the expired LTC.
We had to wait until the new LTC arrived to these customers.

Yes you can carry with the paid receives but you can't buy until the new License get processed.

Reds

"Exclusivity is for everyone. Try us! You'll find us refreshing."

I had five customers with expired LTC and received of renewal payment but the MIRCS system does no validates the expired LTC.
We had to wait until the new LTC arrived to these customers.

Yes you can carry with the paid receives but you can't buy until the new License get processed.

Reds

"Exclusivity is for everyone. Try us! You'll find us refreshing."

Michaela swears that the system works, if the PD do the job correctly.

Did they produce a MIRCS-generated receipt (8.5x11, unless they photo-reduced it) with all the info and chief's signature? If so, it's supposed to work.

If they only had a "cash receipt" then it won't work.

I was also told very recently that if their new one was activated but the PD is sitting on it, then the old one won't work (even with the receipt).

Did they produce a MIRCS-generated receipt (8.5x11, unless they photo-reduced it) with all the info and chief's signature? If so, it's supposed to work.

I was also told very recently that if their new one was activated but the PD is sitting on it, then the old one won't work (even with the receipt).

That was me Len.
i was stuck in limbo between an old license under renewal and a new license that was activated yet not in my possession. It's truely bullshit. Lost out on a great deal because of it. PD would not return calls even though the FRB stated my new license was activated 3 weeks prior. Contacted the chief, armorer and town manager via email and got a call to pick it up hours afterwards.

point is don't be afraid of challenge the police. They need to abide by the law just as we do. Also hammer that home with the town manager.

it got me results albeit after 11 months. But I didn't start to cause a stink until month 10.

they hate me and I love it

Last edited:
Wish I saw this thread during the 7/20 panic. I had to pass up a bunch of lowers because I was my ltc expired and my new one didn't come in yet. I heard about this during one of the rallies (a week to late)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Well, Len, that's really kind of a big IF.

The fact is that there are a couple of PDs who are ****ing with people by processing the licenses, but not letting people pick them up. You're best strategy for this is to escalate with the chief and/or the town's elected officials.

Wish I saw this thread during the 7/20 panic. I had to pass up a bunch of lowers because I was my ltc expired and my new one didn't come in yet. I heard about this during one of the rallies (a week to late)

There are a lot of nuances in the MA gun laws and that is why I discuss this and a lot more in my seminars.

Well, Len, that's really kind of a big IF.

The fact is that there are a couple of PDs who are ****ing with people by processing the licenses, but not letting people pick them up. You're best strategy for this is to escalate with the chief and/or the town's elected officials.

That's why I qualified my statement.

Going back to Feb. 2005, I have continually advocated for people to "speak up" and work their way up the chain if needed. The one infraction I have received on NES was because a newbie thought I was attacking him when I advocated that the only way to get results was to speak up and that posting about the problems on NES won't make them go away.

I pissed off my deputy when I took him to task about non-compliance with the law for holding my receipt for 4 months on my latest renewal. He and I really get along very well, but he got all hot and bothered when I called him out on it. Too bad, no sympathy for him on this topic . . . and all is well between us now, as it blew over.

There are a lot of nuances in the MA gun laws and that is why I discuss this and a lot more in my seminars.

That's why I qualified my statement.

Going back to Feb. 2005, I have continually advocated for people to "speak up" and work their way up the chain if needed. The one infraction I have received on NES was because a newbie thought I was attacking him when I advocated that the only way to get results was to speak up and that posting about the problems on NES won't make them go away.

I pissed off my deputy when I took him to task about non-compliance with the law for holding my receipt for 4 months on my latest renewal. He and I really get along very well, but he got all hot and bothered when I called him out on it. Too bad, no sympathy for him on this topic . . . and all is well between us now, as it blew over.

Sad, when a person sworn, and paid, to uphold the law, gets hot and bothered when they don't, and are called out on it. Of course, there's no penalty attached to the person(s) violating the law, so.....[rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom