-

No license is needed to buy or possess ammo in RI. I drove down there a couple of months ago and bought ammo from a gun store there.

-Mike

I have a friend who claims that you do not need to have a rhode island LTC or FID to purchase ammunition either in store or online, and that you only need to be over the age of 18. Is this correct or do you actually need a firearm license of some sort?

Now obviously he would not be able to carry the ammo into boardering states like Massachusetts with laws on ammo saying that you must have a license to carry ammo, but is he legal to carry this ammo as long as he stays in rhode island?

In the majority of states there are no such things as LTCs or FIDs. Our licenses are just for concealed carry. There are no licenses to buy guns, hold guns, use guns, look at guns, transport guns, buy ammo, look at ammo, borrow ammo, sell ammo, store ammo, or any of the dozen other bullshit reasons you need to be licensed for in MA.

bought ammo at wally world... 100 rounds of .45 acp for $32 (winchester fmj) and 100 rounds of 223. for i think about the same...

an im a MA res. only had to show driver's lic. for the .45 acp...

bought ammo at wally world... 100 rounds of .45 acp for $32 (winchester fmj) and 100 rounds of 223. for i think about the same...

an im a MA res. only had to show driver's lic. for the .45 acp...

I have a friend who claims that you do not need to have a rhode island LTC or FID to purchase ammunition either in store or online, and that you only need to be over the age of 18. Is this correct or do you actually need a firearm license of some sort?
Now obviously he would not be able to carry the ammo into boardering states like Massachusetts with laws on ammo saying that you must have a license to carry ammo, but is he legal to carry this ammo as long as he stays in rhode island?

Both statements are Correct for RI.

RI has a "pistol permit" (carry license) and "blue card" (needed to buy a handgun), but no licensing to buy or possess ammunition.

That's why I'm looking into moving out, maybe even Ohio.

In the majority of states there are no such things as LTCs or FIDs. Our licenses are just for concealed carry. There are no licenses to buy guns, hold guns, use guns, look at guns, transport guns, buy ammo, look at ammo, borrow ammo, sell ammo, store ammo, or any of the dozen other bullshit reasons you need to be licensed for in MA.

RI has a "pistol permit" (carry license) and "blue card" (needed to buy a handgun), but no licensing to buy or possess ammunition.

Blue card only needed to buy at a FFL. FTF has no requirements. Also, no card or license needed to possess a handgun, but only at home. You can only possess outside of the home in a very limited set of circumstances without a CCW permit.

Update: as of Jan 2023, you must possess the blue card for EITHER/ BOTH, a firearm or ammo.

Blue card minimum, yep. But a blue card is about as difficult to get as a Stop and Shop card. Walk into any local gun shop, ask to take a test (free), and it shows up in the mail a few weeks later. Is it BS? Yup.

I've only found one place that declines to ship to RI and I think it's because they don't understand the requirement. So far only one retailer has asked for the card....sent a pic, done. I'm sure more will require it as time goes on.

Blue card is not a license/permit, it only allows you to buy a pistol. It signifies you passed a handgun safety test (which honestly is hard to fail if you have any basic firearm knowledge). Still have to wait the 7 day period (unless you have a locally issued LTC)

Last edited:
I've only found one place that declines to ship to RI and I think it's because they don't understand the requirement. So far only one retailer has asked for the card....sent a pic, done. I'm sure more will require it as time goes on.
Tough if you are using an AG issued carry permit as copying one is grounds for revocation (says so right on the back of the permit). Anyone know if town permits have the same constraint?

Tough if you are using an AG issued carry permit as copying one is grounds for revocation (says so right on the back of the permit). Anyone know if town permits have the same constraint?
Mine (LTC) doesn't say anything about it a copy of it...I've never seen an AG issued LTC.
I just send a pic of my blue card (for ammo), which I had long before my LTC

But practically speaking anyone really think someone would take issue with taking a pic of an LTC to use for the lawful purchase of ammo? That would be hard sell in court i think. Also it presupposes anyone would find out...which is unlikely

Good catch on that. My permit from Cranston that just expired also had that in there, but my new one, from Portsmouth, does not.

Frank

I think sometime people forget that is the case

Good catch on that. My permit from Cranston that just expired also had that in there, but my new one, from Portsmouth, does not.

Frank
A town permit being revoked for making a copy would be a nice lawsuit. they pulled that out of their ass because they copied the AG.

Same goes for the AG, they recently had to renew a permit (recent state Supreme Court case) so it’s unlikely they would successfully be able to revoke over a photo copy.

With how easy it is to get a Blue card that lasts a lifetime (has no expiration), there's no reason not to get one to buy ammo online.

Back
Top Bottom