Punch broke off inside the bolt catch of my AR15. Help please

My bolt catch wasn't holding the bolt back on an empty magazine so I decided to replace the bolt catch, roll pin and spring. I didn't realize they make a special tool to remove the pin so I tried to knock it out with a punch. Well I pushed the roll pin 3/4 of the way out then my punch broke off inside the slot the roll pin sits inside. I have tried using needle nose vise grips but they keep slipping off due to the punch piece being so small. Any help would be appreciated!!

Attachments

• 20190903_193657.jpg
    20190903_193657.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 233
  • 20190903_201303.jpg
    20190903_201303.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 227
  • 20190903_194512.jpg
    20190903_194512.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 223
  • Screenshot_20190903-204956_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190903-204956_Chrome.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 214
Just reverse your procedure.

Punch the pin back in from the side its coming out of and it will push your broken punch out, then get the right tool, or find a better WECSOG class.[thumbsup]

Unless the punch broke off and the stub is now out of alignment with the hole it went in through.

If there’s no pushing it back the way it came from maybe try grabbing the roll pin with a bench vise and really crank down on it? It looks like the pin is pretty smashed up already. Maybe manipulate the catch to take pressure off the pin?

The roll pin is splitting at the end

So, squeeze it together and use a punch that is three or four times its diameter and hit it squarely back into the hole. It will roll back up......thats why they're called roll pins.

If you don't have real punches, then I suggest you just STOP what you are doing before you screw up your receiver good.

Last edited:
use a small punch that will fit inside the rollpin, loosely fit inside. It probably won't take much to push the broken punch back out.

Get a drill press and a vise block.
Get a good, new bit, carbide.
Size it to just less than the space between the ears.
Ensure vise and lower are secure
Drill out the bolt catch, several places to remove everything around the pin/punch.
It will give you room to work, and it will relieve the tension, as they are both probably pinched in the lower and catch.
A ruined catch is better than a ruined lower.
Work them out slowly, use a heat gun and plenty of oil.
Buy the whole wheeler punch/hammer set, they are worth it. I think there is like 5 punches, a hammer and a trigger guard tool in there.
Take that paddle lever off give yourself room.

Get a drill press and a vise block.
Get a good, new bit, carbide.
Size it to just less than the space between the ears.
Ensure vise and lower are secure
Drill out the bolt catch, several places to remove everything around the pin/punch.
It will give you room to work, and it will relieve the tension, as they are both probably pinched in the lower and catch.
A ruined catch is better than a ruined lower.
Work them out slowly, use a heat gun and plenty of oil.
Buy the whole wheeler punch/hammer set, they are worth it. I think there is like 5 punches, a hammer and a trigger guard tool in there.
Take that paddle lever off give yourself room.

OMFG!!!! Could you possibly complicate the situation any more?

Its a fvcking roll pin, 1/16th x 1/2 inch long, its already piloted in the hole and in the bolt catch....IT HAS TO GO BACK IN, IT IS AXIALLY ALIGNED WITH THE OTHER EAR OF THE RECEIVER.

Last edited:
OMFG!!!! Could you possibly complicate the situation any more?

Its a fvcking roll pin, 1/8x 1/2 inch long, its already piloted in the hole and in the bolt catch....IT HAS TO GO BACK IN, IT IS AXIALLY ALIGNED WITH THE OTHER EAR OF THE RECEIVER.
I will give it a try with a larger punch like you suggested and let you know.

use a small punch that will fit inside the rollpin, loosely fit inside. It probably won't take much to push the broken punch back out.

That would be a punch about the diameter of a small sewing needle...it might work but very unlikely. Its even more likely to break off just complicating matters.

That would be a punch about the diameter of a small sewing needle...it might work but very unlikely. Its even more likely to break off just complicating matters.
I've found that punches tend to break when they are not used properly.

you dont need a special tool. a standard punch works just fine. The special tool you refer to is flat on one side and plastic coated to help the clumsy not scratch their lower. It does not help the misapplication of force breaking off the punch in the hole.

Assuming you were punching front to back to remove the pin (it went in back to front), then just punch the roll pin back in to remove the broken punch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0191RFK4I

These are started punches and what you want to use to get the roll pin started. you should not need this as you remove the broken bits, but you want these to put a new one in

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F5JC2I8

I use this set for roll pins, but there are plenty of other good options.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2LGZUQ

I have punched out a lot of bolt catch roll pins using these. Never managed to break one off or bend one.

Everything I linked is inexpensive. You can spend a lot more money on the tools and if you are doing a lot of work, should. These will get the job done.

I have the "special" tool you link to (or a variation). I literally never use it I just use the 3/32 punch and out comes the roll pin.

I also assume you are using a parrot vise and ar15 vise block The vise block is the best way to hold the lower while you mangle it. But since I saw no vise and no vise block in your pictures (and a couple views I should have), I assume you dont have these. Sounds like you might be under tooled for the job.

If you want to drive to Littleton, I will get the pin out, but you might want to find help closer.

I've found that punches tend to break when they are not used properly.

I agree totally, but that particular pin is slightly obstructed from a clear horizontal plain going from the front of the receiver to the back by the metal above the mag catch so you'd not get a clean straight travel on it through the roll pin. You'd have to bend that tiny punch slightly to make it work.....then when it's struck, it will flex and most likely break.
Its better to work with a larger diameter punch and get the roll pin to push the broken punch out.

I agree totally, but that particular pin is slightly obstructed from a clear horizontal plain going from the front of the receiver to the back by the metal above the mag catch so you'd not get a clean straight travel on it through the roll pin. You'd have to bend that tiny punch slightly to make it work.....then when it's struck, it will flex and most likely break.
Its better to work with a larger diameter punch and get the roll pin to push the broken punch out.

The roll pin is not going in as of now20190904_144029.jpg 20190904_144012.jpg

Sorry to laugh at your misfortune, but this is awesome! :D
Try this:
Use a larger blunt nose visegrip, not a needle nose. You need to crank it down tight, and the needle nose is too long and has too much flex to crank down tight. Once you have it clamped on the little bit of metal of the punch, give the vicegrip a quick outward tap with a hammer. Repeat as necessary. Then do the same with the roll pin.

Use heat.. Get a map gas torch (yellow tank), should be available in plumbing section at Home Dumpster, heat up the receiver and than try to punch it out. As someone else suggested use a punch that will go through the roll pin. Don't try tp punch back in that effed up roll pin at this point. If heat scares you, try some penetrating oil.

Next time use a roll pin punch. They cup the outside of the pin so it doesn't pean over like that.

iu

Back
Top Bottom