• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pump shotgun: How many stars?

Tinkermatic, I think you did very well and you will enjoy that shottie.
Also, kudos for supporting MFS, who is a great sponsor here at NES.
Feel free to ask questions or advice here. You will get a lot of great info to sort through.
Have fun at the Range!
~Matt

Tinkermatic, I think you did very well and you will enjoy that shottie.
Also, kudos for supporting MFS, who is a great sponsor here at NES.
Feel free to ask questions or advice here. You will get a lot of great info to sort through.
Have fun at the Range!
~Matt

I've learned more in my short tenure here on NES than I could have ever anticipated. Most importantly, to be patient with regards to researching and purchasing firearms. Life is too short to buy ugly guns, more so, the wrong gun. There are so many minor idiosyncrasies involved in purchasing a firearm, especially as a lefty, that taking my time has become the most relevant piece of advice ever received. Ambi-friendly firearms tend to ring true for me, not lefty specific, but tools that are able to be used by all, not just most. Hence, my move from the 870 and its subsidiaries, to the 500/590 platform.

I have a Mossy, or 2. [smile] and really like the 590A1 Tactical that I bought off an excellent member here at NES. Used it as one of my guns in the Defensive Shotgun class I took in April.
Ran flawlessly and smoothly. Looks very much like this:

4577395_01_mossberg_18_5_590a1_w_fde_magp_640.jpg

I am now interested in shopping for my first Semi-Auto shottie. I'm looking at the Beretta 1301 Tactical:

1301tactical_zoom001.jpg

1301-colori2.jpg

I've learned more in my short tenure here on NES than I could have ever anticipated. Most importantly, to be patient with regards to researching and purchasing firearms. Life is too short to buy ugly guns, more so, the wrong gun. There are so many minor idiosyncrasies involved in purchasing a firearm, especially as a lefty, that taking my time has become the most relevant piece of advice ever received. Ambi-friendly firearms tend to ring true for me, not lefty specific, but tools that are able to be used by all, not just most. Hence, my move from the 870 and its subsidiaries, to the 500/590 platform.

An aquintance of a friend that came hunting a few years back had a bottom ejecting pump shotgun. He was a lefty. It was hard to distinguish from a 500 or 870 until you look close. I have no idea what the make/model was, but he enjoyed the way it didn’t eject shells at him.

An aquintance of a friend that came hunting a few years back had a bottom ejecting pump shotgun. He was a lefty. It was hard to distinguish from a 500 or 870 until you look close. I have no idea what the make/model was, but he enjoyed the way it didn’t eject shells at him.

Ithaca’s eject downward. If they weren’t hard to find around here, used or otherwise, and a bit out of my price range new, I’d add one.

I have a Mossy, or 2. [smile] and really like the 590A1 Tactical that I bought off an excellent member here at NES. Used it as one of my guns in the Defensive Shotgun class I took in April.
Ran flawlessly and smoothly. Looks very much like this:

4577395_01_mossberg_18_5_590a1_w_fde_magp_640.jpg

I am now interested in shopping for my first Semi-Auto shottie. I'm looking at the Beretta 1301 Tactical:

1301tactical_zoom001.jpg

1301-colori2.jpg
B&K has a used SPX 930 if you’re interested. It’s in decent shape from what i could tell. I don’t recall price as a semi-auto wasn’t on the short list and I didn’t handle it all that much or inspect it thoroughly. Nice gun by all accounts, I just wanted caveman simple for my first.

I think I'm going to keep it between the Beretta and a Benelli on this one. Thanks for the tip though!
~Matt

5+ Stars

The only shot gun to get is a Mossberg 590 tatical with the collapsing stock bayonet lug extended mag tube with ghost ring sights top rail and side shell cradle.

Because there simple and don't brake down and if they ever do parts are every where.

Like this
39281-DEFAULT-l.jpg

Attachments

• mesa_tactical_sidesaddle_mossberg500_590.jpg
    mesa_tactical_sidesaddle_mossberg500_590.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Im not a hunter or a shotgun person, own like 1 shotgun to 10 semi auto rifles and I dont hunt...

Personally I think my Chinese made Stevens 320 beats my Mossberg 500 in design and quality (which happens to be a scorpion model with full tacticool garb but Im just talking in general minus the extras)..

Next shotgun if I go practical will try an 870, if I go tactical will be a ksg - those high capacity bull pups to me seem like the ultimate in usability for non hunting.

I had an old 870 Wingmaster years ago, before I ever hunted. I traded it in on a Glock 19 in like 2004. I wish I had kept that 870 because it was a tank.

My only two pump guns now are an Ithaca model 37 featherlight (a favorite for pheasant hunting) made in 1958, and a Winchester 1200 with a scope for deer season. Both are reliable and easy to operate.

1301tactical_zoom001.jpg

1301-colori2.jpg

What will you be using the semi auto for? Those are some sweet autos you listed. Pricey though. My most expensive auto shotgun is the Winchester SX4 in duck blind camo. I bought it several years ago to replace the Remington 11-87 for waterfowl hunting. I love that SX4. But it was almost $1k with the transfer fee. (bought it on Gunbroker and had it shipped to a local FFL).

-* mossburg 500 -1 Star. mid 1990s vintage
Cycled like shit, fail to fire and would not eject fired shells, mostly Winchester

***** Winchester 1300 speed pump field and slug combo with scope mount.
Solid gun for me. The “speedpump” or as it was called “the fastest semi auto pump” Other than fit (pitch was a bit off)
Great gun

***** 870 express bought when they came out mid 80s? by my dad slug/field combo has been rock solid with many thousands of rounds down range. Ejector failed after 4 years (2005-2009)// of trap shooting 10 rounds a week. Easy fix.

IF I could do it again And was looking for a do all shotgun to include hunting it would be a browning or beretta Field O/U with 28” barrel and choke tubes

Two things that steered me away from an Ithaca 37 were the cost/interchangeability of barrels and watching Hickok struggle to take it apart. I have since watched another video that makes it seem much simpler, but the barrel thing is still a bit of an issue.

What will you be using the semi auto for?

My shoulder! [rofl2]

The savings in physical therapy will nearly pay for a Beretta. [smile]
Plus, I already have like 10 pump shotguns in various bores and brands...

...it will most likely become my HD gun and range-buddy.

Lol. Someone's been paying attention to all the shotgun threads lately over in Dealer-Classifieds...

Dealer Classifieds

More than half the posts on Page1 are shotties... [rofl2]

Found this video about storing your Home Defense Pump Shotgun in "Cruiser-Ready" condition.

From Lucky Gunner:

And this one about buckshot for HD...

Back
Top Bottom