• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pump shotgun: How many stars?

ridleyman

NES Member
I'm in the market for a general purpose pump shotgun (some hunting for small game and target shooting ~26" barrel, 12 gauge), but I don't want to spend much money (under $500). I figure that the choice is between a Remington 870, Mossberg 500, or Mossberg Maverick 88. I've handled some of the Stoegers and Chinese ones and I'll probably avoid them. The Chinese/H&R seems to be built like a tank, but I haven't heard much good about it. The Stoeger and Turkish ones don't get too many stars on various websites where people can weigh in.

So, if you don't mind, tell me how many stars you'd give for your preferred shotgun. Feel free to add commentary, thanks! (stars are in "Nature" section of emojis)

:emoji_star::emoji_star::emoji_star::emoji_star::emoji_star: Virtually 100% reliable, handles well, and is ergonomic.
:emoji_star::emoji_star::emoji_star::emoji_star: Virtually 100% reliable, but not as refined or comfortable.
:emoji_star::emoji_star::emoji_star: Quite reliable, but can be finicky, depending on ammo, weather, etc., but comfortable.
:emoji_star::emoji_star: Not something you can rely on.
:emoji_star: Only an idiot would buy this POS.

I agree with Jack. I bought a used Wingmaster (made in the late 1970’s) at KTP. I’ve put thousands of rounds through it-it’s unbelievable.

I had an 870 a few years ago, newly manufactured express model, and I hated it. It would inexplicably lock up and wouldn’t cycle. TWO STARS, it was comfortable.

I traded it off and replaced it last summer with a Mossberg 930. Not a pump, and I think I paid $7 more than your budget out the door, but it’s awesome. Changeable chokes, tang safety (which is svelte), and it hasn’t missed a beat even though I’ve fed it exclusively garbage field loads and pheasant loads. Only problem is I still haven’t fully mastered disassembly, so if anyone knows how to get out the bolt or magazine spring let me know. FOUR AND A HALF STARS.

If I were to play the pump game again I would get a 500 if only for the safety location alone.

Mossberg 835 ultimate mag. Camo version. 26” with the accuchoke system. Can take all sizes of 12 gauge. 2.75, 3 and 3.5

Run you about 400 I think. Can do bird, deer, target and HD. Very versatile by just changing the choke. They have extended ones specifically for turkey, migratory birds, etc...

Don’t get the 535. That one is a bit less stout.

I agree with Jack. I bought a used Wingmaster (made in the late 1970’s) at KTP. I’ve put thousands of rounds through it-it’s unbelievable.
I agree with you and Jack. We have 3 870s, all 12 gauge. The 870 is Secret Service standard issue. Good enough to protect the White House; good enough to protect our house.

Should be able to pick up one of each, 870 and 500, used for your budget. I prefer the tang safety on the mossy but wouldn’t shake a stick at an 870

I have an old 870 Wingmaster and it's smooth as glass and very reliable. I'd get an old 870 or a Mossberg 500/590. The Mossbergs aren't as pretty as an old Wingmaster but they're very durable and reliable. Don't overlook an old Winchester model 12 or an Ithaca model 37.

Older 870's are great but you only get 1 shot. (although for rabbit or pheasant youre only going to get 1 shot anyway) Keep an eye out for an 1100.

Buy, don't marry. Try a few used shotties to see if you even like the cartridge/platform. A lot of guys buy a shotgun, go to the range, shoot a box or two through it, and then put it as far back in the safe as they can reach. This is a waste of valuable firearms funds. I'm a firm believer in Buying>Trying>Keeping or Selling. (one of these will always fit you and the platform)

Try a few different models; friends, family, rental. When you find the Right One, there will be no question...
~Matt

I agree with the above also:
Older Wingmaster, older Police 870, Winchester Model 12, older Ithaca's (If you can find any of these. The owners know what they have and won't part with them until their Silver Cord parts from them...)
I also like older Mossberg 500A and newer Mossberg 590A1's
Finally, I have posted before about the IAC Hawk 982, which is a 870 clone. I think they are much better than the 870 Express or Express Tactical.

Last edited:
Learn to operate both, and prefer whichever you shoot better.

I love me a PG 870, I can give you a root canal with it at 40 yards. Points perfectly for me.

Ms. Luck likes the M4. I think because it's the prettiest and it knows it.

My suggestion is to try both the single bead and double bead (big bead small bead) sights to see what you shoot best and go from there.

I bought a Winchester pump two barrel combo. The “bird barrel “ uses a single bead sight which I discovered that I can’t shoot for crap. I drilled and tapped the receiver to install a scope and it became my dedicated deer gun.

My bird/skeet gun is a S&W 1000 semi auto that uses a double bead sight on a ventilated rib. I used to shoot a lot of skeet years ago but not anymore.

Both have run flawlessly for many many years.

Bob

My buddy has a mid-90s (?) 870 Wingmaster in 20ga. Home defense and the oft needed fun day on the skeet field - it seems to do it all.

Benelli Nova fan here!
I've got thousands of rounds through my turkey gun shooting skeet with it!
Never an issue..

can't go wrong with a 12 ga Rem 870

then you'll only need that 1 shotgun & can spend the rest of your $$ on a multitude of pistols & rifles ;)

Browse the used rack and find something fun.

No name / store named guns can be a huge surprise. My no name is a JMB design that turned out to be a Stevens 520. Beautiful design for a hundred bucks out the door.
Never an issue with my ‘65 Wingmaster, but everyone has an 870.
I’m actually more of a fan of doubles and single shots, but good used semis can be found cheap. A5s and Remington 11s.

I’m not interested in many new guns anymore, there’s so much cool stuff for cheap in the used rack.

The pump on the 870 I tried was smoother than my 500, but the lifter bit me more than once and my wife is opposite-handed, so I went with the Mossberg. 4.5 stars.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom