• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pump action 12 gauge for pheasant?...

Nice shotgun there @andrew1220
im a little jealous.
FYI.. I’ve had good luck with the Browning 3” 20G shells on pheasants. I like the extra shot over a 2.75 shell

Pulled the forend/handguard off and it appears it’s a skeet choke barrel? That going to work well for pheasant?
C6BD8B31-945D-47EE-A104-D737A9914E14.jpeg

Oooh, meant to add: you could get the barrels cut for choke tubes if you want the improvement and don't mind modifying granddad's shotgun.

Skeet/skeet wouldn’t be my first choice. But it’ll work.
in my O/U I typically shoot Cylinder/Mod or IC/M but my lab tends to works pretty close and I get a lot of close flushes.
you could always send the shotgun barrels to Briley and they could thread to the gun to accept thin walled chokes.
but that’s your call, you might not want to modify grandpas gun.

I think I would take the gun to the skeet range and shoot a few rounds. See how the gun fit you and how you shoot it before anything. I would also pattern the gun and see how the POI is.

in my O/U I typically shoot Cylinder/Mod or IC/M but my lab tends to works pretty close and I get a lot of close flushes.
you could always send the shotgun barrels to Briley and they could thread to the gun to accept thin walled chokes.

I think I would take the gun to the skeet range and shoot a few rounds. See how the gun fit you and how you shoot it before anything. I would also pattern the gun and see how the POI is.
Good idea. Definitely will be worthwhile trying it out first at the skeet range.

I don’t think I’d want to modify his gun but I could ask him if he would mind. I’ll figure something out.

My son runs a sxs for upland game hunting. It is a double trigger model so he can quickly decide which barrel to fire. He runs full and mod for squirrel and mod and ic for hare and rabbit. If a squirrel is far out he can pull the full barrel trigger first......or the mod if it's closer. For hare/ rabbit it's close in work in heavy brush of hares that are generally running so it's ic barrel first then mod because the game will be farther out. That's in heavy brush. He has changed out a choke to go mod and mod if the plan is to hunt wide openings in the re grows and target hares as the jump the cuts.....shots may be farther out.

My point I guess is having a double gun with changeable chokes.....and double triggers to choose which barrel to fire is a VERY handy tool.

Well we’re finally going on Thursday. Just need to put in the vacation time tomorrow.
I grabbed this ammo last week which should be good with the 20 gauge O/U... I hope. I’ll find out on Thursday. I hate to admit I haven’t shot the gun yet...dumb I know. Just the timing with the ammo and getting to the range etc.
1582072373118.jpeg

You are going to be fine with the skeet barrels. And if you miss, now you have an excuse like everyone else out there. Just remember to slow down on the flush, you are going to feel rushed but just slow down and get your cheek on the stock.

You are going to be fine with the skeet barrels. And if you miss, now you have an excuse like everyone else out there. Just remember to slow down on the flush, you are going to feel rushed but just slow down and get your cheek on the stock.
Thanks for the advice! I’ll definitely try to take my time as best I can.

Good idea. Definitely will be worthwhile trying it out first at the skeet range.

I don’t think I’d want to modify his gun but I could ask him if he would mind. I’ll figure something out.

Hope it went well.

If you want to add chokes there's
Michael Orlen
79 Amherst Street, Amherst, MA 01002
(413) 256-1630
[email protected]
that can tell you if your gun is a candidate for thin wall choke tubes. I inherited my uncles browning citori and he did a great job putting in the tubes and also lengthened the forcing cones making a nice patterning gun that I could shoot skeet and hunt with. Took less than a day and it wasn't all that expensive. You can barely notice the tubes unless you buy the extended ones.

Back
Top Bottom