Pulled over

I've never been pulled over while carrying (goes around looking for real wood to knock on), however every time I've been pulled over (6) I've had sufficient time to get my DL out of my wallet and reg out of it's hiding spot and put them on the center console where I can easily and slowly reach down in plain sight and pick them up and hand it to them. I'm not doing anything wrong so act calmly and don't give him any more information than he needs.

Giving more info that is neeed is like him coming up to you and saying, "Do you know why I pulled you over?" You have two answers, "I'm very sorry, sir, I don't know what I was doing that would induce you to pull me over." or "Yes sir, I was speeding." Now what do you think will be the outcome of the two? Unless you have a super super nice LEO or you have a super good reason for speeding, you are getting a ticket on the second one for admitting a crime. I almost never look at my speedo unless there are no cars and I'm driving alone. Any other time, "I'm driving with the flow of traffic any slower and I would be a hazard."

Unless asked I wouldn't tell a LEO I'm carrying. As stated previously if asked if I was or asked to get out of the car with my hands held on the wheel, "I have a (state) license to carry (if applicable) and am carrying on my waist, how would you like me to proceed."

If asked to get of the car and I wasn't carrying, I would not say anything, but as soon as I was out of the car the door would be shut and locked.

If asked if I was carrying a firearm and I wasn't but I had a firearm in my car, it would be a tough call for answering I probably would divulge that I am not carrying but I was on the way to the range and have a properly secured firearm in the trunk. He can see my license (if applicable) but he won't be seeing the firearm with consent from me.

Where does it state that? I was in the car, driving, it was under my control.?

Quoted from the 9th Edition, "Law Enforcement Guide to Firearms Law" by Chief Ron Glidden, p. 77, MGL C. 140 S. 131C, S. 131 NOTES:

5. Glove Compartments: Glove compartment will not generally meet the criteria for being under the direct control of a person, or the criteria of being enclosed in a locked case. In addition, such storage may cause other unanticipated problems during police encounters.

If you have a real good firearms attorney you MIGHT get off on any criminal charges, after spending $5-1K. HOWEVER, since the above-referenced book is what is used to teach LEOs in the Academy, Licensing Officers and Chiefs in seminars, etc. you are very likely to be deemed "unsuitable" and lose your guns and LTC permanently.

But you (not aimed at anyone in particular) can always opt to be a test case!

Quoted from the 9th Edition, "Law Enforcement Guide to Firearms Law" by Chief Ron Glidden, p. 77, MGL C. 140 S. 131C, S. 131 NOTES:

If you have a real good firearms attorney you MIGHT get off on any criminal charges, after spending $5-1K. HOWEVER, since the above-referenced book is what is used to teach LEOs in the Academy, Licensing Officers and Chiefs in seminars, etc. you are very likely to be deemed "unsuitable" and lose your guns and LTC permanently.

But you (not aimed at anyone in particular) can always opt to be a test case!

Wow.. Seems kind of strange then that the state trooper afterwards told me to put it in my glove box and lock the glove box. Actually he had me get in the car, open the glove box, then handed it to me through the passenger window, then told me to place it there and lock the glove box.

Wow.. Seems kind of strange then that the state trooper afterwards told me to put it in my glove box and lock the glove box. Actually he had me get in the car, open the glove box, then handed it to me through the passenger window, then told me to place it there and lock the glove box.

There is an assumption by most that because LEOs' are, well, LEO's then they must know the law. This seems an overly generous assumption, particularly on the issue of firearms law, based on my discussions with local pd and the stated experiences of others here.

There is an assumption by most that because LEOs' are, well, LEO's then they must know the law. This seems an overly generous assumption, particularly on the issue of firearms law, based on my discussions with local pd and the stated experiences of others here.

Same could be said about their knowledge of firearms.

B

He may have been 'nice' and was assuming you had it in a locked glove compartment and that you would lock it after you put it back in there.

I have a lockable glove compartment. I usually keep it in there and hope that it is secure enough for this state. I use it when I have to go somewhere that's a gun free zone.

I have a lockable glove compartment. I usually keep it in there and hope that it is secure enough for this state.

It ISN'T. The statute refers to a locked container or a locked car trunk. If a glove compartment were meant to be included, it would have been.

One Definition of:

Noun 1. container - any object that can be used to hold things (especially a large metal boxlike object of standardized dimensions that can be loaded from one form of transport to another)
bag - a flexible container with a single opening; "he stuffed his laundry into a large bag"
handbag, purse, bag, pocketbook - a container used for carrying money and small personal items or accessories (especially by women); "she reached into her bag and found a comb"
basket, handbasket - a container that is usually woven and has handles
bin - a container; usually has a lid
pipe bowl, bowl - a small round container that is open at the top for holding tobacco
box - a (usually rectangular) container; may have a lid; "he rummaged through a box of spare parts"
bread-bin, breadbox - a container used to keep bread or cake in
bunker - a large container for storing fuel; "the ship's bunkers were full of coal"
can, tin can, tin - airtight sealed metal container for food or drink or paint etc.
cannister, canister, tin - metal container for storing dry foods such as tea or flour
capsule - a small container
cargo container - a large container for freight
case - a portable container for carrying several objects; "the musicians left their instrument cases backstage"
display case, vitrine, showcase, case - a glass container used to store and display items in a shop or museum or home
cassette - a container that holds a magnetic tape used for recording or playing sound or video
cup - a small open container usually used for drinking; usually has a handle; "he put the cup back in the saucer"; "the handle of the cup was missing"
cylinder - a cylindrical container for oxygen or compressed air
dice box, dice cup - a small container (open at one end) in which dice are shaken by hand and from which they are thrown
dish - a piece of dishware normally used as a container for holding or serving food; "we gave them a set of dishes for a wedding present"
dispenser - a container so designed that the contents can be used in prescribed amounts
drawer - a boxlike container in a piece of furniture; made so as to slide in and out
Dumpster - a container designed to receive and transport and dump waste
empty - a container that has been emptied; "return all empties to the store"
envelope - a flat (usually rectangular) container for a letter, thin package, etc.
drinking glass, glass - a container for holding liquids while drinking
grab bag - a container from which a person draws a wrapped item at random without knowing the contents
instrumentation, instrumentality - an artifact (or system of artifacts) that is instrumental in accomplishing some end
magnetic bottle - container consisting of any configuration of magnetic fields used to contain a plasma during controlled thermonuclear reactions
mailer - a container for something to be mailed
manger, trough - a container (usually in a barn or stable) from which cattle or horses feed
measure - a container of some standard capacity that is used to obtain fixed amounts of a substance
cast, mold, mould - container into which liquid is poured to create a given shape when it hardens
parcel, package - a wrapped container
pan - shallow container made of metal
fuel pod, pod - a detachable container of fuel on an airplane
flowerpot, pot - a container in which plants are cultivated
powder flask, powder horn - container for carrying gunpowder; made of the hollow horn of an animal
receptacle - a container that is used to put or keep things in
reliquary - a container where religious relics are stored or displayed (especially relics of saints)
saltcellar - a small container for holding salt at the dining table
coin bank, money box, savings bank, bank - a container (usually with a slot in the top) for keeping money at home; "the coin bank was empty"
coal scuttle, scuttle - container for coal; shaped to permit pouring the coal onto the fire
shaker - a container in which something can be shaken

If you get pulled over in some western states and hand over your LTC and driver's license you've essentially handed them your "good guy" card. You get treated extremely well by the officer. You get a verbal warning and the thank you for doing the right thing by carrying. I have personally experienced this a few times with the highway patrol and local police and have heard the same thing from the many LTC holders I knew out there.

This has been my experience with NH leo as well. When i first started carrying I thought I had to tell them so i did and was treated very well and even got verbal warnings when I damn well deserved a ticket. Case point, My ex was driving and I was riding shotgun and she was speeding as always. So we get pulled and I tell the officer and he just says "ok", I asked if he wanted any documentation and he just replied "it's the guns we don't know about that worries us". With that said though I have since learned and keep my big mouth shut but I will say my stops were always very positive. I even had a 5 min discussion about glocks with an officer.

Back
Top Bottom