• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pulled over

In everyone's opinion do you or do not tell the officer that you're carrying? Some say give both lic. at the same time, some say don't say anything.If there are any leo's here, what would you prefer?

This has been discussed before. You might find a thread if you search.

Don't tell unless compelled by law (like in NC). No reason to get anyone upset.

I was told by a police officer that works for me that if you feel as though there is any reason that the officer should ask you to step out of the vehicle or if he asks you right out if you have any weapons on you to tell them that you have a license to carry, only. Then there response should be, are you carrying now and then it goes on from there. If you are pulled over for a traffic violation and there is no reason for you to announce that you are carrying concealed, don't.

If you're in a state that doesn't legally require it, (like MA, NH, and
MANY others) it's best not to broach the subject unless the traffic
stop is going beyond just that (eg, like the officer is asking you to get
out of the vehicle, etc). Proffering needless information may
lengthen/complicate your traffic stop to something longer than it
really should be.

-Mike

I have several family members and close friends who are LEOs, and they all have advised me to say nothing unless asked specifically. I have been told that telling an officer at routine stop that you are carrying will likely turn the routine into what cops call a felony stop. If it does, He WILL draw down on you, he will then tell you to remove your keys from the ignition and drop them out the window, most likely he will have you open the door by reaching out the window to the outside handle, you will then pay homage to the pavement with your mouth (A.K.A. kiss the pavement). All of this because you told him something that by law, he didn't need to know. If you are lucky, and he is a generous 2A believing fella, he will not notify the Chief LEO in your community to have your LTC suspended/revoked.

Just my .02 based on what I've been told by my family/friends in the business

No requirement in MA to announce that you are carrying, or give the license to the officer.

Some states do have this requirement BTW.

I was pulled over on the mass pike last week. When the state trooper got to the window and asked for my license, I handed him both my LTC and Drivers license and stated that I had a license to carry. He then asked if I had a weapon on me and I said yes. He asked where and I told him it was in my glove box (this being the reason why I brought it up since I had to open it to get my registration). He then ask me if I was "a police officer" and I replied no. He then asked why I had it on me, why is it in your glove box, where should it be.. etc. At this point he told me to leave my wallet on the dashboard and step out of the vehicle. He had me put my hands behind my back and move to the back of the car where he patted me down. He then had me sit on the guard rail as he reached into the car and grabbed my 1911 from the glove box. He said "You'll get this back if everything checks out". After about 15 minutes he came back to me and started telling me about how he is a police officer and how he never carries his gun when off duty etc. and that I shouldn't blah blah blah... He then told me to get back in the car and he handed me my pistol through the passenger window and told me to lock it in the glove box. Then I drove away.

and the reason I was pulled over was because he said I made a dangerous lane change because he saw the guy behind me put his breaks on.. The reason the guy put his breaks on was because as soon as he saw me turning into the lane(with blinker on) he decided to speed up on me... Another story all together

I was a passenger in a car of three people coming from a USPSA match in RI. The officer who stopped the driver for a moving violation told us "smelled gunpowder" and asked "if we had weapons."

The town must remain nameless to keep the officer out of trouble as the uneventful and politely handled stop concluded with a written warning and the comment "you are exercising your rights as Americans to be armed, and that is a good thing."

The last time I got pulled over, the cop asked me if my tattoos were 'gang tats', and when I said 'no' he asked me 'if I were to search your truck, I wouldn't find any guns or knives, would I?' [rolleyes]

I don't think I look like a gangster...

I was pulled over on the mass pike last week. When the state trooper got to the window and asked for my license, I handed him both my LTC and Drivers license and stated that I had a license to carry. He then asked if I had a weapon on me and I said yes. He asked where and I told him it was in my glove box (this being the reason why I brought it up since I had to open it to get my registration). He then ask me if I was "a police officer" and I replied no. He then asked why I had it on me, why is it in your glove box, where should it be.. etc. At this point he told me to leave my wallet on the dashboard and step out of the vehicle. He had me put my hands behind my back and move to the back of the car where he patted me down. He then had me sit on the guard rail as he reached into the car and grabbed my 1911 from the glove box. He said "You'll get this back if everything checks out". After about 15 minutes he came back to me and started telling me about how he is a police officer and how he never carries his gun when off duty etc. and that I shouldn't blah blah blah... He then told me to get back in the car and he handed me my pistol through the passenger window and told me to lock it in the glove box. Then I drove away.

and the reason I was pulled over was because he said I made a dangerous lane change because he saw the guy behind me put his breaks on.. The reason the guy put his breaks on was because as soon as he saw me turning into the lane(with blinker on) he decided to speed up on me... Another story all together

Yes, you should be just like him. [rolleyes]

I'm sure there are plenty of cops that would disagree with his not carrying off duty.

Most that I know are like that Trooper! [rolleyes]

I worked for a PD for 17 years part-time. I only knew one officer who carried all the time and one who carried part of the time. One Sgt, became Lt, and then became Chief NEVER carried at all, not even on the job. [thinking]

The OP is VERY LUCKY, as he could have been charged. MGLs specifically says that the glove compartment (under NO circumstances) qualifies as proper storage for transportation. Likely the Trooper was clueless about MA gun laws!

If the OP was "carrying" on his person as he should have been, he should never have said anything or given the LTC and the whole incident would have been over in a couple of minutes, without the lecture.

I have several family members and close friends who are LEOs, and they all have advised me to say nothing unless asked specifically. I have been told that telling an officer at routine stop that you are carrying will likely turn the routine into what cops call a felony stop. If it does, He WILL draw down on you, he will then tell you to remove your keys from the ignition and drop them out the window, most likely he will have you open the door by reaching out the window to the outside handle, you will then pay homage to the pavement with your mouth (A.K.A. kiss the pavement). All of this because you told him something that by law, he didn't need to know. If you are lucky, and he is a generous 2A believing fella, he will not notify the Chief LEO in your community to have your LTC suspended/revoked.

I'm not trying to say that isn't what you heard, but it is going to depend on the officer. Being pulled out of your vehicle a la felony stop seems WAY extreme to me for having a valid LTC. If you hand your LTC and license to an officer, I can't see a felony stop happening every time... maybe with some officers, but certainly not all. Keep both hands at 10 and 2 on the wheel unless instructed to do otherwise.

Could you be inconvenienced? Sure. I'm sure the officer will run a check to make sure you are indeed legal to carry, it takes time. Just be patient, he's doing his job. A felony stop seems excessive to me, but if it does happen for whatever reason, be polite, LISTEN to the commands so the officer doesn't have to repeat, move slowly and deliberately and above all be patient... if you are nervous about the situation, you can bet your butt the cop is sweating, too; a felony stop is one of the few times an officer's gun will become unholstered -- He/She will be a bit on edge, too.

As for him contacting the chief to have your LTC revoked, quite doubtful. As I write this I almost want to say whoever told you this is pulling your leg a bit. Why would they try to revoke your legal right to carry a firearm? You haven't done anything wrong. I mean, I'm sure it couldhappen, but your post makes it out like a felony stop with LTC revocation is common place.

Again, Hands on the wheel, listen to instructions, slow deliberate movements, be polite and patient and the stop will go as smooth as it can. Cops have bad days just like everyone else.

What would I do if pulled over? Keep my mouth shut until asked and don't volunteer anything.

Last edited:

I worked for a PD for 17 years part-time. I only knew one officer who carried all the time and one who carried part of the time. One Sgt, became Lt, and then became Chief NEVER carried at all, not even on the job. [thinking]

I guess it's true what they say about not wanting to take your work home with you.

I'm not trying to say that isn't what you heard, but it is going to depend on the officer. Being pulled out of your vehicle a la felony stop seems WAY extreme to me for having a valid LTC.

+1.... a LOT depends on the officer. Proffering an LTC can
get you responses that run the gamut from "Well, please don't
touch your firearm". to "get out of the car" + "NOBODY EXPECTS
THE SPANISH INQUISITION!" (eg, 900 questions about why you're
carrying it and then they try to verify its existence, etc, and you
get berated, etc. Then theres the guy that will think its a
bright idea to disarm you and then muzzle sweep you with your
own loaded firearm while he is trying to unload it. (I've heard of
this happening before... the LEO couldn't figure out how to unlock
his 1911 cause it was C+Led. The LEO ended up handing the
gun to the driver to have HIM unload it! )

What would I do if pulled over? Keep my mouth shut until asked and don't volunteer anything.

+1... can't say that too many times. By sticking to just the
facts, one can keep the amount of time wasted and the pucker
factor very low overall.

-Mike

This thread is dumb. Unless the LEO might see your CCW, keep your mouth shut and your LTC in your wallet when it belongs. If you think he's going to see it, tell him your carrying legally, and ASK him how he wants you to proceed. Keeping your hands in plain sight, the keys on the dashboard, and the lights on always helps too.

Unless the LEO might see your CCW
It is amazing how many people keep their LTC either on top of their other stuff in the wallet or under the little window generally used for photos - to the point where you will occasionally notice an LTC while waiting for someone else at a store to finish paying their bill. When I teach a class, I advise that getting lost in a crowd of one beats standing out like a turd in a punchbowl.

This thread is dumb. Unless the LEO might see your CCW, keep your mouth shut and your LTC in your wallet when it belongs. If you think he's going to see it, tell him your carrying legally, and ASK him how he wants you to proceed. Keeping your hands in plain sight, the keys on the dashboard, and the lights on always helps too.

Only if you've had the benifit of reading and thinking through these threads before (as I, and likely you, have). It's a good thing for people to be asking these questions on this board rather than regretting it later in front of a judge; better for them, and better for the shooting community as a whole (i.e. no bad press, reactionalry legislation, etc.)

I'm grateful lots of people answered my silly questions early on without judgement. When I joined this board, it was early on and many of the more straight forward questions hadn't been posted yet. These days, Heaven help the new guy who just came to the point in his life where he/she decided to start shooting and asked a question that had been discussed before. Given the search capabilities of this SW, I have a hard time finding threads I started!

Last edited:
I have seen this topic discussed at length on several different firearms boards. The general conclusions are the same or very similar.

You do not volunteer that you have a firearm unless:

1. You live in a state where it is required by law that you notify an officer during such a situation that you have a license and are carrying. (Texas may be such a state.)
2. The officer specifically asks if are armed or have any weapons in the car (i.e., don't lie).
3. You are asked to step out of the car.

Otherwise just be polite and don't complicate the situation with any extraneous information.

Only if you've had the benifit of reading and thinking through these threads before (as I, and likely you, have). It's a good thing for people to be asking these questions on this board rather than regretting it later in front of a judge; better for them, and better for the shooting community as a whole (i.e. no bad press, reactionalry legislation, etc.)

I'm grateful lots of people answered my silly questions early on without judgement. When I joined this board, it was early on and many of the more straight forward questions hadn't been posted yet. These days, Heaven help the new guy who just came to the point in his life where he/she decided to start shooting and asked a question that had been discussed before. Given the search capabilities of this SW, I have a hard time finding threads I started!

+1, Point for you.

The last time I got pulled over, the cop asked me if my tattoos were 'gang tats', and when I said 'no' he asked me 'if I were to search your truck, I wouldn't find any guns or knives, would I?' [rolleyes]

"Depends on how good you are at searching" is probably not the thing to say.

Gary

Having lived in a western shall issue state for about 5 years, I find what your local family and friend LEOs said to be absurd. Frankly, being a LEO is dangerous work, and no offense if that is how some officers react to a legal gun owner it sounds like they don't have the intenstinal fortitude for this type of work.

If you get pulled over in some western states and hand over your LTC and driver's license you've essentially handed them your "good guy" card. You get treated extremely well by the officer. You get a verbal warning and the thank you for doing the right thing by carrying. I have personally experienced this a few times with the highway patrol and local police and have heard the same thing from the many LTC holders I knew out there.

Now that I am back here in liberal land if I get pulled over in Mass or Rhode Island I keep my mouth shut unless my gun is not fully concealed. I actually moved my wallet to my left side so there would be no chance of exposing my gun when I went for my wallet while seated in a car.

I would have to ask you which threats would the chief face during his execution of the job? The chief in my town does not participate in any operational activities. He does carry. My town did have an incident where a troubled incident was searching for the old chief, but what threats would the Chief face?

I have always wondered about the British policing model. The standard officer does not carry guns in general. They used to carry guns in London during night, but I understand that people did not generally knew this or the real crime rates.

After meeting some of the people that became police officers in my town and adjacent towns I have decided that I would like the unarmed. They did hire some of the worst bullies from high school. I can not figure how anyone would want these guys running around with guns after you read some of the stories on this board.

In my town they generally respond in large group. Lately they will have 3 or 4 officers and the deputy sheriff respond to a scene. Why not let the Sarge carry the pistol. Heck, I even let you keep the shotguns and rifles in the squad cars.

I think that we should start promoting a "GIT RID OF GUNS" campaign just like mumbles. We can be real heros.

Please take this in a sense of seriousness and humor that I used to write this.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom