Pulled over in virginia

allen-1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I know. I can read. Sorry I didn’t write “Virginia, me too!”

To burnish my “young and dumb” credibility -
I earned these performance awards when the speed limit was 55. Reckless driving kicked in at 30mph over.
Actually that's probably more my lack of comprehension skills. I saw I81, and I immediately thought "Pennsylvania", not "Virginia"...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
VA has been a giant speed trap for DECADES. This was a know issue back in the 70's to anyone that served at the myriad of military bases from Virginia on south, but would drive to the northeast to come home on leave or passes. An out-of-state plate and a military base sticker on your vehicle seemed to act as a neon sign to Virginia cops. As an MP, I had very frequent contact with the NCHP and the Onslow County Sheriff's Dept. Even they had nothing good to say about Virginia and it's speed traps.
This! I was stationed in Virginia for a couple years Back in the early 90s and the Virginia State police are absolute f***ing Dickheadz. They will give you a speeding ticket for less than 5 miles an hour over the speed limit. Maryland the same

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 88.9%
8   1   0
NASIOC is one of the big WRX/STI sites. The #1 most ticketed car in the country is “Subaru Impreza” [base model for the turbos] so lots of “Experience.”

There are some truly horrifying tales in Virginia: so bad I cancelled our family vacation to Williamsburg a few years ago and went to Gettysburg. Like 57 in a 55 - with in-state plates!

One factoid learned was that if you voluntarily go to a “driving improvement school” they give you five positive points on your license. This can offset points from a ticket. Not sure that helps anyone outside VA.

Here’s their law.

Ҥ 46.2-862. Exceeding speed limit.

A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit where the applicable speed limit is thirty miles per hour or less, (ii) at a speed of sixty miles per hour or more where the applicable maximum speed limit is thirty-five miles per hour, (iii) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limits where the applicable maximum speed limit is forty miles per hour or more, or (iv) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed.”
#####
oh yeah...reckless driving in Virginia is a class 1 misdemeanor. That means that there is a maximum penalty of up to 12 months in jail and/or up to a $2500.00 fine. “

Virginia is for lovers, not drivers....

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
A lot of people dont realize how lax the MSP arewhen it comes to speeding. Unless you are doing something stupid you can travel at 75 or 80 without worries. Most other states will pull you over for 5 over, and give you a ticket.

Damn. I've never had any problems once I get outside of the Eastern Seaboard. Must be the Atlantic or something that does it to them.

Although my last 2 trips through the NYST seemed to display many less ossifers than previous times. They were all bunched up at the PA and MA border, too. LOL

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also beware the Krispy Kreme glaze on the floor. That will get you locked up for months because the quick drug tests they use think it is meth.
Also plenty of "drug whisperer" cops that arrest stone cold sober out of state folks for DUI suspected drug influence.
[Closest I got to being pulled of with NC plates in MA was at Logan. No front plate. No inpsection sticker. Lifted Jeep on 37's. Trooper gave me the evil eye. Then looked away when he saw the NC plate.]

vario

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Got stopped in VA on the way back from the Smokey Mtns trip. Cop said i was doing 84mph, and he was going to do me a favor and put down 79 so he would not have to impound the car. Gave me a 275.00 ticket to pay. Got home and was flooded with mail from lawyers wanting to help me out. Paid the ticket, and that was that.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
VA is brutal. Honestly, NH is pretty bad too. Speeding in MA is actually great, no one seems to care if you're 20 over.

allen-1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
NASIOC is one of the big WRX/STI sites. The #1 most ticketed car in the country is “Subaru Impreza” [base model for the turbos] so lots of “Experience.”

There are some truly horrifying tales in Virginia: so bad I cancelled our family vacation to Williamsburg a few years ago and went to Gettysburg. Like 57 in a 55 - with in-state plates!

One factoid learned was that if you voluntarily go to a “driving improvement school” they give you five positive points on your license. This can offset points from a ticket. Not sure that helps anyone outside VA.

Here’s their law.

Ҥ 46.2-862. Exceeding speed limit.

A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit where the applicable speed limit is thirty miles per hour or less, (ii) at a speed of sixty miles per hour or more where the applicable maximum speed limit is thirty-five miles per hour, (iii) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limits where the applicable maximum speed limit is forty miles per hour or more, or (iv) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed.”
#####
oh yeah...reckless driving in Virginia is a class 1 misdemeanor. That means that there is a maximum penalty of up to 12 months in jail and/or up to a $2500.00 fine. “

Virginia is for lovers, not drivers....

Read the statute cited above, in particular " (iv) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed.” My wife was cited for reckless driving for 82 in a posted 70. We've both got lead feet, but ffk's sake - 12 miles over the limit is eligibility for a speeding ticket - nothing reckless about it.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Read the statute cited above, in particular " (iv) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed.” My wife was cited for reckless driving for 82 in a posted 70. We've both got lead feet, but ffk's sake - 12 miles over the limit is eligibility for a speeding ticket - nothing reckless about it.
VA legislators quite obviously caught the ralph nader douchebag disease, etc. there’s large veins of simps and npcs that live in this country that are raging fgts about speeding, likely because their shitty crossover/cute ute car with the scalloped chinese walmart tires feeks like it will explode after 55.... American driving culture is usually shit, it’s one if the reasons why the limits are so low to begin with.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
VA is brutal. Honestly, NH is pretty bad too. Speeding in MA is actually great, no one seems to care if you're 20 over.
Probably 20 years ago, mid-afternoon, heading down 93 from the Concord area to head to mASS. I'm in the right lane of a 2-lane section of 93. Some guy is coming down MY LANE at. . . . 100? 120?? I mean F-A-S-T. Left lane is full of traffic. No one ahead or behind me. And he keeps coming.

Just as I think, "he's gonna kill us both" he slams into the offramp for exit. . . . Rt 102 maybe. Cloverleafy in design.

He hits the exit in the 80's or 90's. No way he's making the curve. He pops over the curb and into the stand of trees in the middle of the on/off ramp triangle.

"WHA DAH FAHHHH????""

About 5 seconds later, in teh BREAKDOWN lane, comes the NHSP cruiser, also doing 90. Blows right past the offramp. Never saw the guy get off. Lost him.

I'm sure he did some decent damage to his car. He was not going THAT slow while headed into the trees. And it was pretty thick in there. Best would have been to leave the car there and sneak away, find a ride home and call it in stolen. Unless of course the car was already stolen, which means you can skip several of those steps. LOL

The5thDentist

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
VA legislators quite obviously caught the ralph nader douchebag disease, etc. there’s large veins of simps and npcs that live in this country that are raging fgts about speeding, likely because their shitty crossover/cute ute car with the scalloped chinese walmart tires feeks like it will explode after 55.... American driving culture is usually shit, it’s one if the reasons why the limits are so low to begin with.

Automotive advancements made these speed limits obsolete 30 years ago, but the cash grab is too good for government. Most of these speed limits were enacted when people were trying to slow down 7000lb Cadillacs with drum brakes. And yeah, there are too many people that are car Fudds to ever realize that we can go a bit faster now.

enbloc

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Probably 20 years ago, mid-afternoon, heading down 93 from the Concord area to head to mASS. I'm in the right lane of a 2-lane section of 93. Some guy is coming down MY LANE at. . . . 100? 120?? I mean F-A-S-T. Left lane is full of traffic. No one ahead or behind me. And he keeps coming.

Just as I think, "he's gonna kill us both" he slams into the offramp for exit. . . . Rt 102 maybe. Cloverleafy in design.

He hits the exit in the 80's or 90's. No way he's making the curve. He pops over the curb and into the stand of trees in the middle of the on/off ramp triangle.

"WHA DAH FAHHHH????""

About 5 seconds later, in teh BREAKDOWN lane, comes the NHSP cruiser, also doing 90. Blows right past the offramp. Never saw the guy get off. Lost him.

I'm sure he did some decent damage to his car. He was not going THAT slow while headed into the trees. And it was pretty thick in there. Best would have been to leave the car there and sneak away, find a ride home and call it in stolen. Unless of course the car was already stolen, which means you can skip several of those steps. LOL
Lol. All that to avoid the Cigarette Tax... [rofl2]

Salyeica

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
A lot of people dont realize how lax the MSP arewhen it comes to speeding. Unless you are doing something stupid you can travel at 75 or 80 without worries. Most other states will pull you over for 5 over, and give you a ticket.
I forget the correct terminology, but there are some states that have "absolute" speed limits, where the police can/will issue tickets for 1mph over. Idaho is like that. Got pulled over years ago heading back to SLC from Sun Valley (ex was driving) and the trooper explained to us the law. Cut the ticket down to a much smaller number so the insurance wouldn't whack us too bad.

NHKevin

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I forget the correct terminology, but there are some states that have "absolute" speed limits, where the police can/will issue tickets for 1mph over. Idaho is like that. Got pulled over years ago heading back to SLC from Sun Valley (ex was driving) and the trooper explained to us the law. Cut the ticket down to a much smaller number so the insurance wouldn't whack us too bad.
NH is like that. Highway speed limits are at face value while town road speed limits are not. Some lawyer can describe it better. Something about the town speed limits are implied? Breaking the town speed limit in and of itself isn't enough - also they have to argue you were driving at an unsafe speed. Highway speed limits, just breaking the limit is enough to say you were unsafe.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0

If you have been charged with reckless driving, Virginia Code § 46.2-869 allows the judge or prosecutor to reduce a reckless driving offense to improper driving if the culpability is slight. Numerous factors play into the determination of whether culpability is slight.

My experience from about a month and a half ago is. A trooper drove past me doing 100 when I was doing 90 at about 3 am. while heading home from a visit to MA. So yay covid!!

My brother and 1 of my friends got screwed. I told my brother all about VA and this little revenue generator before he left to come here, but he won't believe something is hot until he smells his own charred flesh.

Contact a lawyer down there. From what I have learned the outcome varies wildly by county. So much so that some lawyers won't even touch certain counties and will refer you to one that will. Hopefully you weren't hit in a really shitty county.

My brother's fine was reduced to $350. The lawyer cost around $500(last year). My friend dragged his feet and ended up paying $1500 plus whatever he paid his lawyer.(10+ yrs. ago.)

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
That’s odd. During the Wu, I blew by a statie on Rt 16S doing 93 with this as my front plate. I thought I was f$&cked but nope never budged. Must be my boyish charm 🤣

Attachments

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this really is a fascinating place; police accused of wrongdoing are generally immediately judged guilty and everyone from 'away' has a Constitutional right to take their psychotic/delusional jack rod driving habits where ever they wish-how many traveling out of State (especially down South) can produce proof of insurance?

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
this really is a fascinating place; police accused of wrongdoing are generally immediately judged guilty and everyone from 'away' has a Constitutional right to take their psychotic/delusional jack rod driving habits where ever they wish-how many traveling out of State (especially down South) can produce proof of insurance?

Is that one big sentence?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a lifelong Virginia resident my advice is as follows:

-Don't speed on country highways (metro areas are more lax, if that makes sense)

-Don't speed in Emporia

-Don't speed on country roads if you have out of state tags, especially the Northeast

-Stay within 5 mph of the speed limit, unless you're keeping up with traffic

dhuze

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
An island surrounded by land on three sides
I got pulled over on the Mass pike just before I-80. I was not paying attention and going 89 at 5:30am. The Trooper was cool with me I got a written warning for something like 79 mph. Can't complain about that. I'm guessing that was the maximum speed he could write a warning for.

Top Bottom