Pulled over in virginia

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Wow, so 75-76 in a 55...ridiculous. I wasn't aware of that. Glad I usually stick around 70 on long trips, including through VA.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Anyone has any experience with reckless driving in VA, 20mph over the speed limit .. it's a class 1 misdemeanor with jail time up to 12 months and up to a 2500 dollar fine
You will need an attorney from down there. If you didn't get arrested you're lucky.

Paging @minininjer , she might have a resource/ reference....

Greg

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Lawyer up, VA is BRUTAL on speed infractions.
A lot of people dont realize how lax the MSP arewhen it comes to speeding. Unless you are doing something stupid you can travel at 75 or 80 without worries. Most other states will pull you over for 5 over, and give you a ticket.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people dont realize how lax the MSP arewhen it comes to speeding. Unless you are doing something stupid you can travel at 75 or 80 without worries. Most other states will pull you over for 5 over, and give you a ticket.
Its true. MSP get annoyed when they have to slow down to pull you over.

allen-1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Yes. My wife got cited in Virginia for 82 in a posted 70. I was home while she was traveling, by the time she got home there were literally more than a dozen letters from Virginia lawyers offering their services. She lawyered up after we found the possible consequences. Net result was a couple hundred dollars to lawyer and a couple more to the court.

GET A LAWYER.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Again allegedly right since it's my truck and I sure as hell can tell if it was 90 mph via the rpm and noise.
0 tickets ever I think we have to lawyer up and try to get it reduced to infraction

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
When I am going back and forth to FL, I always watch what the cars with in state plates are doing for speed, if the locals are running pretty close to the speed limit, I assume they know something I don't about how tight the enforcement is and follow their lead.

If you have ever driven US301 in Florida from I-10 down to Ocala to pick up 75 you understand how critical it is.

Places like Waldo, Stark, and Lawtey are NOTORIOUS for hefty tickets for ONE MPH over the speed limit...... to the point I use my GPS as a speedometer even though my Family Truckster speedo reads 2 over my actual speed.. between the 2 I have never had a problem

VetteGirlMA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone has any experience with reckless driving in VA, 20mph over the speed limit .. it's a class 1 misdemeanor with jail time up to 12 months and up to a 2500 dollar fine
One of the guys from Jalopnik went to jail in VA a few years back while doing a test drive in a Camaro ZL/1 while Chevrolet was there. He was going exactly 20 mph over the speed limit. He spent 3 days in jail along with hardened criminals for driving 20 mph over the limit. Moral is, don't speed in VA.

JayMcB

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
In my youth, I was pulled over in VA for throwing a cup of ice from a completed soft drink out the window. The ticket cost for causing a hazardous condition or some other bullshit the cop made up was STAGGERING, and they literally had the credit card imprint machine in the cruiser to take payment.

Get a lawyer...ASAP.

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Again allegedly right since it's my truck and I sure as hell can tell if it was 90 mph via the rpm and noise.
0 tickets ever I think we have to lawyer up and try to get it reduced to infraction
what do they say? oh, i remember..."there's no guilty men in prison." [laugh]
....if the locals are running pretty close to the speed limit, I assume they know something I don't....
yeah, the fines are pretty steep with no mercy.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Oh, first hand knowledge. You either had DOD stickers on your car, or an out of state plate. (or both). My Work Center Supervisor got nabbed doing "reckless driving" 15 over, running with the flow of traffic. The Virginia beach court gave him 60 days in jail. You absolutely NEED a good lawyer in Virginia. And they are going to pork you for a huge sum of money.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Oh, first hand knowledge. You either had DOD stickers on your car, or an out of state plate. (or both). My Work Center Supervisor got nabbed doing "reckless driving" 15 over, running with the flow of traffic. The Virginia beach court gave him 60 days in jail. You absolutely NEED a good lawyer in Virginia. And they are going to pork you for a huge sum of money.
It's for my wife max fee is 2500 but I agree we are going to lawyer up and try to get it reduced to a infraction. Shes been driving for 30 years with never a ticket

n1oty

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
VA has been a giant speed trap for DECADES. This was a know issue back in the 70's to anyone that served at the myriad of military bases from Virginia on south, but would drive to the northeast to come home on leave or passes. An out-of-state plate and a military base sticker on your vehicle seemed to act as a neon sign to Virginia cops. As an MP, I had very frequent contact with the NCHP and the Onslow County Sheriff's Dept. Even they had nothing good to say about Virginia and it's speed traps.

Mountain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Some will, for sure. In Tennessee it depended upon the jurisdiction. Some were simply know speed traps and others were reasonable.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
When I am going back and forth to FL, I always watch what the cars with in state plates are doing for speed, if the locals are running pretty close to the speed limit, I assume they know something I don't about how tight the enforcement is and follow their lead.

If you have ever driven US301 in Florida from I-10 down to Ocala to pick up 75 you understand how critical it is.

Places like Waldo, Stark, and Lawtey are NOTORIOUS for hefty tickets for ONE MPH over the speed limit...... to the point I use my GPS as a speedometer even though my Family Truckster speedo reads 2 over my actual speed.. between the 2 I have never had a problem
I knew about those speedtrap towns. Driven that route once or twice. Another bad one (or at least used to be) is US 27 in South Bay, below Lake Okeechobee. Speed limit drops from like 50 to 30 in a few hundred yards. I used to travel through there a lot between Ft. Myers and West Palm Beach in the 90s and about half the time South Bay Police were watching. Only got burned the first time, lol. Never again.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks all a lawyer will be found and we will fight it . Don't mind paying, we went to TN to look at a house and we put a offer in that was accepted but it ruined the entire experience

LoginName

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
VA has been a giant speed trap for DECADES. This was a know issue back in the 70's to anyone that served at the myriad of military bases from Virginia on south, but would drive to the northeast to come home on leave or passes. An out-of-state plate and a military base sticker on your vehicle seemed to act as a neon sign to Virginia cops. As an MP, I had very frequent contact with the NCHP and the Onslow County Sheriff's Dept. Even they had nothing good to say about Virginia and it's speed traps.
Also the only state where radar/speed detectors are illegal, and they can seize it if you're caught using one.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lived in Virginia Beach when I was with the Navy. Buddy got nabbed on his motorcycle. I don't think he lost his license but he had to get a lawyer and do a bunch of classes. Anything over 80 is an automatic reckless driver charge. Theres a stretch heading on up to Richmond where the speed limit is 70... I would stick to 75 and be fine. If your 10 over, its automatic reckless.

Top Bottom